Remote mapping of network drive help please

Hiya.. im trying to simply map a drive on a a remote network. I assume
VPN is the best/only way to do this but im finding it VERY slow. Is
there an easier software based solution? I dont wanna use remote type
software like gotomypc or pcanywhere.. Any thoughts? Also, the drive
is a behind a router and thats behind a static IP DSL mode... thanks
in advance...

bschucher wrote:
> Hiya.. im trying to simply map a drive on a a remote network. I assume
> VPN is the best/only way to do this but im finding it VERY slow. Is
> there an easier software based solution? I dont wanna use remote type
> software like gotomypc or pcanywhere.. Any thoughts? Also, the drive
> is a behind a router and thats behind a static IP DSL mode... thanks
> in advance...

If you already have VPN setup and you find it slow then the alternatives
are to use a Terminal Server solution to work on the data remotely so
that you don't need to transfer the large files over the slow network.
The other option is to use a data replication method to automatically
keep a synchronized copy of the data you want to access on two servers
on either side of the connection.

Data replication usually only works for permanent VPN's with servers on
either end that are managed by the same IT group.

Terminal servers are often the best choice for working with large data
remotely. You do not transfer the data, you simply remote control a
computer that has fast access to the data which is usually more efficient.

So I understand you don't want to do remote control but it's often the
best way. Windows Terminal services are really in a different class
from gotomypc or pcanywhere. Multiple users can operate on the same
server at the same time and the experience is much faster.

There is no way to speed up your VPN if the speed issue is due to the
raw connection speeds available to you without getting a faster
connection. If however the VPN is slow because you are using
underpowered hardware to do the encryption that is another story, but
that's pretty rare. If your data is highly compressible and your VPN
connection does not compress the data on the fly you might be able to
change your VPN technology to something that does support compression to
speed things up. If you have a file that can be compressed down to less
than 50% of it's original size then try copying it after zipping the
file and before while comparing the transfer time to see if your
connection compresses the file.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

IS there a way to just forward a port to the drive i want to map? Im
not really worried about security though it would be nice.. Im a true
newbie at this and im trying to learn as much as possible.. thanks for
the help..