custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Hey All,

Has anyone here OC'ed the PD 805 yet?? Trying to see if the verdict is in on this new release from Intel. I hope it OC's like the celeron D's do and even better than the 820 & 830 PD's.
The price is right @ $143. for a dual core, but of course, that depends on how it performs. Would love to see TH do a review/article, hint hint hint. :wink: :)

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Actually, I just did :) I built a new system with a Pentium D 805. You can get it from Zipzoomfly cheapest, Free 2nd day air.

Now keep in mind, it is the only Pentium D that is only 533FSB.... The others are 800, except for the extreme edition, (at least one of them is 1066FSB)

However this baby is very swift! I have an AMD X2 4400+ in another system, and though I may not want to admit it, I believe this little $150 baby is giving it a run! I really haven't tried running 2 or 3 programs on it (Pent D system), as I have on my AMD system, but it (Pent D) is so far showing itself strong!

I just bumped up the FSB by 10%, which put it at 586, and now one core is showing 2.93Ghz....

I don't understand why only one core is showing the increase, (in Windows System Properties.... Anybody know?

One core is showing 2.66Ghz, the other 2.93Ghz... Or am I misinterpreting this?

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Ok I think I figured it out. In windows system properties, when it lists the system specs, it is showing the processor name (description) on the first line... which is "Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz", then, on the next line it is showing the actual current clock speed, "2.93 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM"

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Outstanding! What are you using for cooling? Memory speed? Give me some system specs and I'll try to help you OC your rig and we'll see how high we can safely OC it. Also, what CPU temps are you seeing? Does your Mobo even come with a utility to monitor temps/volts/ etc.? Let us know and I'll do what I can tohelp you.

Dave

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Does your Mobo even come with a utility to monitor temps/volts/ etc.? Let us know and I'll do what I can tohelp you.
Actually that was one thing I am trying to find because it did not come with any windows based utility for Temps/Speed/Voltage.

With my Gigabyte MB there is Easy Tune 5/nTune and with the ASUS MB there is Ai Booster/Probe but with the EVGA - nothing.... ??? I have looked a little online but nothing so far. Seems to me if there is one they would have put it on the support CD...

SYSTEM I

Aspire XPlorer
A8N-SLI Premium
550W Black Beauty PS
AMD64 X2 4400+ w/Zalman Cooler
3 GB Corsair XMS
250GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA II
EVGA 6800GS CO SE
SBAudigy
Terminator TV/FM Card (for Jazz radio)
Olevia 26" Widescreen
Logitech Mx Laser Mouse w/Thermaltake Lighted Gaming Pad
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard/Thrustmaster Game Controller
NEC DL DVDRW
Memorex DVDRW
80GB Seagate Ext. Hard Drive
30GB Apple iPod Video
Windows XP SP2 (updated)

SYSTEM II

Aspire XCruiser
Gigabyte K8N PRO SLI
550W PS
AMD64 3200+ w/Zalman Cooler
1GB Patriot RAM
250GB WD ATA
Chaintech GeForce 6200TC
Samsung 910MP TV Monitor
Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
NEC DL DVDRW
BenQ DVD DL
Windows XP SP2 (updated)

SYSTEM III

Coolermaster Black Cavalier 4 (CAV-TO4)
Evga 133-P4-NF51-AX
350W Stock PS
Intel Pentium D 805 w/Stock HTSink-Fan
1GB Geil DDRII 533 4-4-4-12
80GB Hitachi DS SATAII
Chaintech GeForce 6200TC
Lite-On DVD DL
Windows XP SP2 (updated)

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Maybe motherboard monitor 5 would be a solution? Real curious as to your temps with the stk HSF. Most likely not an issue with only a 10% OC. Abit finally seems to have gotten it right with the uGuru utility that I use. Seems to be accurate.

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Yeah. I don't seem to do very well with the window based MB utilities. They always seem to bomb on me. And the numbers don't always match in the BIOS. I use my BIOS mostly, that way I know it is accurate.

I just OC'd my Pent D to 20% (which is 640Mhz FSB) with my RAM in LINKED mode. It seems to be ok. Temps are only at 48-50 degrees :)

I tried to go 30% (693Mhz FSB), but my BIOS kicked into safe mode. I can however manually set my RAM speed seperate from my actual FSB, but not sure how that will work... I will keep you posted. As of now this thing is running at 3.2Ghz!!! Pretty remarkable :)

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Nice! MBM5 is a little bit of a pain to set up but well worth it. Been looking all over the web for any results of OC'ing the 805 and there is one by HKPEC, whatever that is. They saw a 740FSB=3.7Ghz but I saw no details as to test setup or cooling. I got the link from theinquirer.

Are you using a factory BIOS selction of 10 & 20%? If so, you may need to switch to manual mode/selection to achieve a higher OC. The stk HSF may also have to go. Thermaltake's blue orbII has reviewed very well and is rather inexpensive for $36-37 @ amazon.com shipped. Keep us posted! :D

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
OK! I got it to run at 3.46Ghz!!! It is now at 30% (693Mhz). I left the RAM at 533 and raised my VCore from 1.4 to 1.55. My girlfriend played NFS Hot Pursuit 2 for about an hour and I checked the temps in the BIOS. CPU Steady at 53 degrees! :) MB at 47

Are you using a factory BIOS selction of 10 & 20%? If so, you may need to switch to manual mode/selection to achieve a higher OC.

The BIOS is Phoenix Award. It gives you an option to input the FSB from 523-1300. The DRAM timings are seperate from that or you can select to link them to the FSB.

I downloaded MBM 5 however I could not get it to work properly. There is no support for EVGA boards in the selection, but I believe they are made by Jetway. Still no option for my board. The display in the tray was reading -1, -4 :roll:

I just removed the program for now. Any other ideas? I do need to get some way to monitor the stats "in windows"...

Everything else about this board is awesome though! And believe me I am one to tell you if something is no good... I think I need to email support and see if I can get an answer from them. I tried to use Gigabyte easy tune 5... to no avail.

Let me know if you come up with anything else :) thanks

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Actually, after carefully researching this whole thing and your last post triggered me to look again at the nVidia drivers and all on my cd. And I did get nTune and I had loaded it, I just had never used it before on my other 2 boards. So I went to nVidia nTune, clicked on nTune Monitor.... AND...

Blasted thing! :(

I found out, there is no support in my BIOS for nTune Monitor... I will call Evga today when I can I guess. I didn't find anything in their support section, BIOS updates or anything, and nothing on the web either. I will say one thing, for a board to be as nice as it is with all the bells and whistles, for $80, sli, 3 PCI, Ieee 1394, dual lan, lcd code readouts for system analysis onboard, even a power on and reset onboard for DIY, surely they have a BIOS update or a system utility somewhere.... :) hopefully

At least I am able to at least check the stats in the BIOS. It will have to do for now.

Later tonight I will see if I can push that Pentium D a little more and I will let you know! :)

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Ok. I cannot seem to push it beyond 693FSB. I have tried everything I can think of.

I spoke to EVGA Tech support and they referred me to a program called SPEEDFAN. It is working!

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Great! :) 3.465Ghz, hows it performing? As I posted earlier, the max I've found on the web is 740FSB and there were no details. You may be reaching it's limits without some Vcore increases and better cooling. What does that utility monitor beside fans? Never used it.

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
3.465Ghz, hows it performing?

It runs like a top! No errors and a steady 48 degrees!!! I am very impressed for just a small effort! I could never get my X2 to go this far. Cant get it above 2.4 w/out starting to experience undesireable effects. However with another board I possibly could. The Asus a8n-sli premium has it's limits. Like it won't let you go above 1.5 on the Vcore.

You may be reaching it's limits without some Vcore increases and better cooling.

Same thing I thought... but but raising the voltage from 1.55 ends up in a no post situation. So I don't think I could ever even get it to be too hot for my HSF you know???

What does that utility monitor beside fans? Never used it.

Well, as far as I know it monitors any chipset on the board and it also has some other functions for setting voltage, FSB, and even GPU... But I didn't try any of them, not sure I totally trust it all completely just yet :)

You can check it out here http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Glad to hear she's running well. Just bought a budget Asus board for a test rig.
http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=584&l1=3&l2=11&l3=206
It's supposed to support PD's & a 533FSB. So for $62., and the fact that I've got the extra parts to build with, I figured I'd give it a try. I'll use a Celery to flash the BIOS and get the bugs worked out if there are any. Then, if the 805's are looking good and/or a 905 is released, I'll take the plunge. Picked up a thermaltake blue orbII HSF as well to help keep things cool since I'm not messing with my watercooled rig for testing purposes.
Keep us posted on your progress and I'll post back when the fun n' games begin with my test rig. :wink:

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Dude! That is way cool. I almost bought that board myself on Tiger Direct.

You can actually get an ok combo package, MB/CPU but you have to pay the full price, then get a rebate. I actually didn't find anything that I liked after searching for a long time, but I kind of like to buy stuff with all the bells and whistles...

Sounds good what you are up to. Let me know how it goes :)

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I can't read chinese either. :) It's the same site I found where they got the FSB up to 740=3.7Ghz with the PD 805 as I've posted earlier. I believe there's another thread here that someone started regarding a Celeron D 4.5Ghz or more OC'ed. In that thread there is another post regarding HKEPC and some serious OC'ing. Just wish it was in english as were missing some of the details I'm sure.

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Just wish it was in english as were missing some of the details I'm sure.

Right... Next time ovaclock, you poosh button then cpu reset. :)

NO NO You ovaclock too much you no listen :)

Dude check this out. This is what it says on the sticker that was on the socket protector on my EVGA board... and I quote:

"*Please to keep this cover on the socket when you replace the motherboard"
:wink:

OK PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT!!!
------------------------------------

Thanks to this website and to wisdom and knowledge that has been shared abroad, (and a small amount of effort and an inability to give up)......

I am typing this from my AMD X2 4400+ Supercomputer which I have managed to overclock to 2.7Ghz and stabilize!!! Before I could never get above 2.4 w/out error. But I took heed to many things on here and I tried something different to see if it would work.

I know it may seem foolish to some, but I find it to be a small breakthrough for a beginner like me. And I should be getting all I can out of a $2100 Computer System does anyone agree?

Anyway, instead of messing with the HT rate and DRAM timings, like I always do...

I left them at AUTO, and raised only the FSB x 11 (max), and the VCore slightly in increments of 5, each time booting into windows and running some programs, until I reached 250 FSB and VCore maxed @ 1.5 to which I found the BSOD :roll: And so backing off to 245 this is where I now stand...

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=77533

I believe this is all I can do for now unless anyone has any ideas... I am open :)

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Toooooo funny! :lol:

Only engrish alound here joe!

How are you cooling your X2? Stk HSF? How does the rig feel, any quicker? I've heard that whatever you do, the HT needs to stay around the 1Ghz point. How's the temps looking?

I'd love to see a benchmark showdown between a PD 930 and an X2-4400. Both OC'ed to their respectively stable max with watercooling only with the Nforce4 chipset and matching vid cards. Mobo manufacturer could be whichever one makes the best for each respective CPU as long as it's NF4 chipset since both seem to run very well with it. Of course, more than one CPU of each PD 930 & X2 4400 should be used and scores averaged to get a representative base line. Perhaps different batch numbers too? Whatcha' think? Ever see one done like that anywhere?

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
How are you cooling your X2? Stk HSF?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118119

How does the rig feel, any quicker? I've heard that whatever you do, the HT needs to stay around the 1Ghz point. How's the temps looking?

It seems a little snappier, it is hard to tell. I have tried many programs and everything seems to run ok. My HT is set to AUTO. Temps are: CPU 39 steady, MB 37

I'd love to see a benchmark showdown between a PD 930 and an X2-4400. Both OC'ed to their respectively stable max with watercooling only with the Nforce4 chipset and matching vid cards. Mobo manufacturer could be whichever one makes the best for each respective CPU as long as it's NF4 chipset since both seem to run very well with it. Of course, more than one CPU of each PD 930 & X2 4400 should be used and scores averaged to get a representative base line. Perhaps different batch numbers too? Whatcha' think? Ever see one done like that anywhere?

Now you are talking my language. That is what I had in mind buying this Pentium D. I actually want to get a faster one eventually, but for $150 I thought I could make some comparisons. Although I know you cannot compare apples to oranges.

Of course, more than one CPU of each PD 930 & X2 4400 should be used and scores averaged to get a representative base line. Perhaps different batch numbers too?

Now I never would have thought that 2 identical processors could actually perform differently even when used in a controlled situation, like the same MB, PS, RAM, and so forth... which shows you what I know :?

However, if you want to buy a 930 perhaps we could set up a lab and experiment :p HAHA

It is however an excellent :idea: I personally recommend taking a fast track course in Chinese if you plan to search for such results on the HKEPC :eek:

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Wish we weren't so far apart as I'd probably take you up on buying the PD 930 since I think that is what I'll end up with for a while if Conroe isn't going to be compatible with my mobo after a bios update. :cry:
Time will tell and if Conroe isn't compatible, I hope a PD 930 will OC as well as what I'm running now. I can crank my 630 higher for a max OC but I'd rather leave my Vcore @ max intel recommended of 1.4v until I really need the extra horsepower. My temps are 28C @ idle & 39C with 100% load. No complaints of heat here. 8)

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
I just now read about conroe. I did not know what the details were.

All Conroes will keep the current LGA775 packaging designation of the current Pentium D processor; however, there is no indication at this time that users will be able to simply swap a Pentium D 800/900 processor with a Conroe chip. According to sources, mainstream Conroes will post a thermal design power (TDP) of 65 watts, which is half of the maximum power consumption of the Pentium D 800/900. On the high end, that TDP will be exceeded by the variants E6600, E6700 and especially Conroe XE.

Well I hope it works out for you on the BIOS thing buddy, but if not, you can always get you a new MB. They really are fairly inexpensive. :)