first build.....

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I recently submitted a forum about my new pc. I decided to not get the Gigabyte GK8n Pro Sli because of lack of support and decided on an Asus or even Abit. The only problem is Im not sure what to get for a motherboard.

Here's my future system specs:
-AMD +4000 (San Diego)
-Antec TruePower 2.0 TP-II 550watt psu
-ThermalTake VB1000BWS Soprano
-Kingston 1gb kit HyperX PC3200 DIMM (possibly 2gb)
-Seagate Barracuda 160 Gb HD
-eVGA e-GeForce 6800 GS

I want to play games, but can live with the jaggies and some mild overclocking. I am willing to pay up to $160 for a mobo and want a stable system. I am also wondering if I can put the latest ATI card on the board and if I should. Thanks in advance for help!

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
he can also consider the EVGA 7800GT CO for like $320, which is the same as a GTX. But since he wanna try some OC, maybe just a stock GT...

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
It is your choice, but I am curious, why exactly did you decide to drop the Gigabyte? I'm running that board and love it. Not to mention I really like the dual BIOS feature it comes with.

As for other suggestions, a lot of people recomend DFI MoBo's if you are going to overclock, it also looks like the ASUS A8N-SLI is pretty popular for budget minded as well. But don't take just my word for it, I've only just started getting back up to par on PC building within the past 3 weeks or so. :D

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
yeah, I had considered a dual core, but a reliable source told me that I won't need dual core for a while because the 4000 will work for games and be within my price range.
REMEMBER: I don't want to break $1700. And that epox board looks great, but I want to eventually use sli, or crossfire dunno which.
I may get the 7800gt, or not i don't know if that would work cuz i need to figure out what mother board.

Any more suggestions on motherboards by Asus or Abit? I was thinking Asus A8n-Sli premium or even deluxe. but I read some bad and very good reviews. If someone would help me that would be very much appreciated.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
well, i dropped the gigabyte board because i had heard from many people that it didn't have good support and updates (look at my previous post about my first build)

previous post

Only one person that ive talked to said that it was decent. That's why ive posted this one to try to get a better answer. I do not want to spend more than $160 on a mother board. So, the gigabyte may then be my answer. I don't know. I want to overclock SOME not alot so I don't need something that can stand super overclocking.

Lan_d

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
the gigabyte are good but support wise im not sure try a A8N-SLI deluxe thts a good board with a lot of revisions and updates

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I just checked out the asus deluxe and I also looked at a premium on Pricegrabber.com. The premium is roughly 10 dollars more than the deluxe from where i am at. so in that case, i would go for the premium probably.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
My last 2 boards have been Gigabyte, and the support seems okay to me, and they are built for stability. Overclocking features are there, but only for mild to moderate overclocks. But as I said it is your choice. :D

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
well.....I think then I will still get the Gigabyte. If it doesn't work like I wanted it to, then I will either return it (last resort) and replace it or build a new comp with it.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Enjoy. But don't let me change your mind if you don't want to get it. I just didn't want you to get a bad impression of a brand that isn't that bad. It's not great (as in ungodly high performance), but it is a stable, reliable brand. :)

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
OK, then I will probably end up with the gigabyte board. Thanks for helping me choose my mind. From what everybody else said, I assumed that it wasn't very good at all.

Thanks.

What kind of gpu should I get that I can run but the price can still fit in my $1700 budget?