Sign in with
Your question

What do you use to keep your GPU's cool?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 3, 2006 5:43:16 PM

I'm looking for methods to keep my 2x 6600GT's cool. They are located at the bottom of the case, but there are no fans down there to push hot air out of the case.

For a temporary fix, I opened up the PCI brackets in the back, but I fear this will welcome dust over time. I'm looking for solutions to my video card heat problems. What hardware have you installed that has made a difference in your GPU temperature?

I've been looking at Arctic Cooling NV Silencer, hoping it will fit between my 2 gpu's. I have 2 pci-x slots between my cards, so I imagine it would fit fine. What else can you recommend I look into?

More about : gpu cool

March 3, 2006 5:59:55 PM

Instead of just opening up a PCI bracket, why don't you get this nifty "card" that you can have circulate air right on the video card. I'm picking up one tonight, I'll let you know how it works! :D 

:arrow: http://www.overclockers.com/articles950
March 3, 2006 6:07:31 PM

Heey that's a pretty cool looking piece there. Please post back here on that when you've got it set up. Lemme know about how it fits as well. With 2 PCI-X cards, I have to be wary as to what will fit between them.
Related resources
March 3, 2006 6:37:06 PM

Take off the side panel and place a little desk fan near them. That'll work.

-mpjesse
March 3, 2006 6:46:13 PM

Well, that's an obvious solution to overheating, however my cards aren't running hot, I just don't want them running too warm. And I don't wanna sacrifice case cosmetics for the ol' "just take off your side panel".

Call that beggers being choosers, but I'd like to keep the case uniform. I'm looking for hardware to help with keeping the lower section of my case cool/circulated.
March 3, 2006 7:04:25 PM

look at artic cooling products. they are great. i have one and do not regret it.
March 3, 2006 7:07:47 PM

If it's air going out the back of the case at the bottom you want, try one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

That other big blue thing with the two fans, my friend has it, he had to turn it upside down (so he could not mount it, it's just kinda jerry-rigged in there) to get it to blow upwards on the video cards. Otherwise it blows down and it's not much use.
March 3, 2006 7:09:20 PM

As in, the arctic cooling NV Silencer??

That's what i've been looking at lately, although the dual fans posted above look nice.
March 3, 2006 7:17:14 PM

Quote:
If it's air going out the back of the case at the bottom you want, try one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Iffy reviews on this product. If anyone on the board has had a good experience with this, post on it.

And yes, I want the air to be leaving thru the PCI bracket slots. I've got plenty of air coming into the case, just not enough warm air leaving at the bottom.
March 3, 2006 7:22:04 PM

You answered your own question. Get the Arctic Cooling Silencer cards. They are second to nothing on the market and also have the bonus of expelling the air out of the back of the case. I have had a few and they are superb.
March 3, 2006 7:28:16 PM

I am most likely going to get the Silencer I suppose. Seems like a good product.
March 3, 2006 8:13:11 PM

The artic cooling solution isn't bad, but if you're serious about the cooling, get w/c. If not and you feel comfortable with case modding then I guess you can drill vent holes on the side of the case and put a fan there.
March 6, 2006 12:52:41 PM

Quote:
The artic cooling solution isn't bad, but if you're serious about the cooling, get w/c. If not and you feel comfortable with case modding then I guess you can drill vent holes on the side of the case and put a fan there.

W/C as in water cooled? Nah I'm not too keen on that. I've read that maintenance on those systems is ridiculous and that the pump motor can be problematic and replacement is a pain. My PC isn't beastly enough for a water cooled solution atm. Standard fan solutions is what I'm going for.

Also, I don't know how well modding the window on my side panel would go. The material doesn't feel sturdy enough for me to go drilling holes in it.
March 6, 2006 2:17:22 PM

Quote:
Instead of just opening up a PCI bracket, why don't you get this nifty "card" that you can have circulate air right on the video card. I'm picking up one tonight, I'll let you know how it works! :D 

:arrow: http://www.overclockers.com/articles950

I posted this earlier. I picked it up and according to Everest, it dropped my video card temperature on average about 12 degrees Celcius. Still heats up to 80 C under lots of gaming load, but not getting VPU recovery errors anymore.

The "Vantec Spectrum Fan" blows right on the underside of my x800 (passive cooling with heat pipe). Some say it should blow away, but it helps suck in air through the front case fan and circulate inside my case!

Definately worth the $25+tax CDN! Lights up the inside of my case nicely too! Bonus
March 6, 2006 4:36:05 PM

Dangerous but Sweet....

I gave a 7800gt normal stock cooling etc, My case is a Thermaltake Soprano, AIRflow is awesome. It Idle's at 38*. @ Stock

NOW the dangerous. eVGA cards come with a crappy Thermal Paste, white 99¢ cheap one. I Recommend replacing it with Artic Silver 5, It shaved off 3-4* off my Idle Temps. It's a little dangerous if you don't know crap about anything, but if you can use a toaster oven, u can do this.
March 6, 2006 4:54:09 PM

I'd suggest rather that - Coollaboratory Liquid Pro
Can give you few degress cooler :) 
And yeah...Arctic solutions are best

Though there is one thing you want to check. I've run in trouble with Sapphire x800xl. It had different then reference circuit placed, and few circuits were blocking the Silencer, and only cooling solution was that Zalman "sandwich"
So you better ask before you buy, if the Silencers will suit your card
March 7, 2006 11:48:29 AM

Well the Silencer I'm looking at says it's for PCIe 6600GT, so I'm assuming it will work.

I've heard good and bad things about the Zalman "sandwich". I heard its really heavy on the video card, causing it to sag slightly due to the weight. I've also heard you can't use dual card scaling such as SLi because the brackets take up too much space. Though some people say that its a great way to cool your card if you are using a single vid card and don't mind the card drooping a bit.
March 7, 2006 11:50:34 AM

Quote:
Dangerous but Sweet....

I gave a 7800gt normal stock cooling etc, My case is a Thermaltake Soprano, AIRflow is awesome. It Idle's at 38*. @ Stock

NOW the dangerous. eVGA cards come with a crappy Thermal Paste, white 99¢ cheap one. I Recommend replacing it with Artic Silver 5, It shaved off 3-4* off my Idle Temps. It's a little dangerous if you don't know crap about anything, but if you can use a toaster oven, u can do this.

How much was your case? $XXX? And where can I pick up the Arctic silver 5?
!