Sign in with
Your question

athlon xp 2800+ help

Last response: in CPUs
March 3, 2006 5:55:00 PM

I was converting my 8mm home videos to dvd using amd 2000 on a epox 8rda+ with studio 9 worked good but 6 months back the board blew 8 caps. Then i bought amd 2800 and dfi nf2 u400s-al. Yes i know dumb, skt a dead horse and the dfi mobo is junk so please recomend several boards for my amd 2800 cpu. Thanks as you know skt a mobos are getting hard to find. Bob

More about : athlon 2800

March 3, 2006 9:23:05 PM

Yes i believe DFI was bad back then but now they are good. Good mobo manufactures include asus, abit (very nice socket a's), and msi. I haven't tried the other manufactures yet but most left are "value" and so pretty crappy most of the time. The exception is a newer company named ASRock, they make good boards that are better than the "value" boards because they are the cheap version of Asus and i believe owned by Asus. Finding any of these good brands is hard but newegg.com has a good selection of socket a's left. most are "value" but there are two ASRocks and those i would recomend. At least they are very good as skt 939 boards one of witch i own. Here's a link to neweggs page of socket a's Newegg socket a's

As u said you are kinda beating a dead horse, the best thing would be to upgrade to at least 754 if not 939 but if you can't and the dfi is working right now i don't think you should worry a lot about changing the mobo. The only difference would be changing manufactures, maybe a little quality, and some features. The nf2 was a good chipset back then, trust me my friend has been through about 3 different skt a chipsets and the nf2 was the best. The nf2 is now the hardest to find to and the most expensive. So i say stick with the dfi and upgrade in a year or so or upgrade now if you can.
March 3, 2006 10:52:02 PM

Hey buddy...try a MSI K7N2 Delta2 if you can find one ...there Great...MSI ROCKS...I have the Platinum board.....dynamic OCin..lots of extra's on this board...none better for the old Socket A......you'll love it
March 3, 2006 11:40:07 PM

Thanks for the info i'll check neweeg and msi Bob
!