Switched decks in car, wires swapped exactly, no power.

Chronic420

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I just switched out an old JVC with a new Dual. I swapped the wires exactly as the old one was set up, color to color, & I get no power. All that is left are 2 orange cords, an Illumination & Positive Dimmer, I swapped some cords around, that being using the orange ones, and I get power, but next day, no power once again.. I never got the memory working, when I did have power, should just be yellow to yellow.. Idk its a 98 pontiac, thing already has horrible electrical problems, but the fuses look fine, and the old deck, set up color to color, worked just fine... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
fuses are one issue but they would cause power to go out not come on and off. you could have a wire rubbing some place going back to your fuse panel. get a multimeter and test out the power wires. yellow should be 12V ignition and red should be a low voltage keep alive. orange should be remote on for a sub. the black will be ground, its very common for these issues to be in the ground wire so that should be your first test. also check the cables connection, the harness could be loose or poorly made. if hte harness came with the deck i would not be surprised, dual is a very low end brand and ive seen many issues with their decks