rolling runway

For the last month or so I have been setting the game to fly out of St
Ignace Michigan. I chose this site as there are at least five air ports
within twenty miles of there. Get a lot of practice taking off and
landing this way. Traffic pattern works too.

This last week I spent some time I St Ignace. The main street in town
goes right past the air port. Now granted I didn't actually get on the
runway, but... From State Street, main, it looked like the East end
started high going into a dip raising to maybe three or four feet and
then down again. I always thought it had to be level.

Any other air ports like this?

In article <Focje.506$UP.368@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>, wheels2
@twmi.rr.com says...
> For the last month or so I have been setting the game to fly out of St
> Ignace Michigan. I chose this site as there are at least five air ports
> within twenty miles of there. Get a lot of practice taking off and
> landing this way. Traffic pattern works too.
>
> This last week I spent some time I St Ignace. The main street in town
> goes right past the air port. Now granted I didn't actually get on the
> runway, but... From State Street, main, it looked like the East end
> started high going into a dip raising to maybe three or four feet and
> then down again. I always thought it had to be level.
>
> Any other air ports like this?

Lots. It's only MSFS that says that all points on an airfield have to
be exactly the same level. Real life isn't that way. The nasty ones
are those where there is a hump in the middle of the rwy, and one can't
see one end from the other. Makes for exciting landings.

Jim

Good Morning Mike and Chris,

On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:39:34 -0700, Chris Thomas
> Real life isn't that way
I agree. R.J. Coreman's private airport in Kentucky has a dip in the
middle you'd have to see to believe. And his pilots land some pretty
big jets there. (You won't find it in FS and I can't make it with
that dip in it).

> Makes for exciting landings.

Mike, it's time for a shameless plug. If you want to see the Straits
of Mackinac the way they really are, go here:
http://www.bozair.com/revairport.html
Down towards the bottom of that page is our Mackinac Island scenery
package. If you dig through the airport package list, you'll also
find a special package for St. Ignace which includes scenery to add
the Fort at Mackinaw City, etc.

And while I'm plugging, I may as well mention our Sault Ste. Marie
package, too - it's on the same page.

Jim (Bozair.com) Bosworth

In article <MPG.1cf6fd9a2491b759989692@news.mminternet.com>,
CThomas@mminternet.com says...
> The nasty ones
> are those where there is a hump in the middle of the rwy, and one can't
> see one end from the other. Makes for exciting landings.

One such airport is KAVX, Catalina Island, off the coast near Los
Angeles. It looks weird sitting on a plateau, but that's for real. The
field is built on a flatened mountain top. The wind is usually from the
west, and there is a fierce downdraft from the air spilling down the
east side of the field, just as you approach. The nasty part is the rwy
is higher in the middle than the ends, and you can't see one end from
the other. The approach plates warn about both the wind and the hump.
Unfortunately, the flat model forced by MSFS isn't very realistic.

/Chris T

Jim

Hi,

On Sat, 21 May 2005 06:13:49 GMT, "Dallas" >
>And this one too:
>
>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Misc/courchoval.jpg

Wild! It's not nearly as dramatic, but here's the one in Kentucky
that I mentioned: http://www.bozair.com/RJ_Corman_airport.JPG

Please fogive the photography, trying to shoot and drive a Kentucky
back road at the same time can get REALLY interesting.

Jim (BozAir.com) Bosworth