Random shutdowns?

zodiacboyscorp

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
I'm getting random shut downs.

I don't know if what is causeing the issue.

I was turning my computer on today everything loaded except when I attempted to use my front USB2 slot. Then it shut down. Attempted again same result.

After waiting for everything to load first.

Then I tried the back didn't shut off.

Then I tried to put it in front. Didn't shut off.

maxxum

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Things right off the top of my head:

PSU - USB's use power too and that might be just enough to kill your computer or reboot it. What PSU do you have and what is your system stats?

Electrical brown outs can cause random reboots too. Check the outlet and rewire it if you feel confident doing so. Be sure to know 'exactly' what you are doing and make sure you turn off power to that outlet - test outlet to make sure.

Major conflict - What if anything did you install recently?

Overheating - The CPU or GPU fan may have gone out (in some cases the MB N. S. chips may be overheating as well).

Loose connection - Firmly reseat all hardware, inside and out.

Just some ideas....

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
There's also the slight possibility the motherboard capacitors are leaking or bulging which can cause issues like this. Power surges and brownouts can cause this as well.

While checking for loose connections like MaxxuM said, take a flashlight and inspect the capacitors as well.

If they are damaged, you will need to RMA/replace the board, or if your really handy at desoldering/soldering, you could order some new capicitors online and replace them yourself.

zodiacboyscorp

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Aspire Navigator case with 500W PS.
Opty 165 (not overclocked)
DFI Lanparty NF4 UT-D
WD Sata 2 250 GB Hard Drive
PCI - X850XT
2 DVD writer drives - The popular NEC ones.
2x1 GB OCZ Platinum Ram

That's it.

All of which are brand new and been put together in the last week. First time I attempted to use the fron ones.

I have notice that when on IDLE the cpu fan doesn't spin, is this strange speedfan claims it's idle at 28 degrees.

maxxum

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Yes, 28 is really cool, no need for a fan.... that is, if its correct. It does sound a bit low though.

Remove the CD roms, extra HD, disconnect the front USB ports... basically, go with bare bone system and see what happens.

zodiacboyscorp

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
I had no shut downs until trying to use the front plugs.

I have done a bare system prior

Ram
opty 165
motherboard
power supply

That worked fine.

I can leave my system on overnight downloading stuff, watching movies. etc...

Problem just arose when using the front.

Motherboard bios reads 30 before start.

Case fans are active the whole time. I have 4 case fans might be getting enought from that *shrug*

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Double check your connection wires to the front case USB, real often you have to re-pin so the wires are correct between the motherboard and case ports.

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
another thing to do is get a flashlight if you have to, but look at the caes'es USB connection point, I have seen many all mangled up causing shorts.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I've had this happen on a few biostar boards, I found that if I tried a few different usb cables, one would work. Not sure what the deal was, something on the boards since all the cables worked on my pc's. Also, check the wires from the front connect, take off the front if you need to, and make sure there are no splits in the cable and no sharp edges in contact with it. And make sure no screws or anything fell under the usb headers.

zodiacboyscorp

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
This is a new post coming from my friend MR computer dude.

Hello,

Been having strange things going on... Scenario #1: Press power button, computer powers up, Windows XP boots up. It detects new hardware (variious, printer, digicam, etc) and the New Hardware Wizard appears. After that's on-screen for a few seconds, the computer reboots or shuts off completely. It may do this a few times, and then be fine.

Other times, you press the power button, the system powers up, and 4-10 seconds later, just turns back off again.

Still other times, you press the power button, fans spin up, BIOS never beeps, video never initializes and it just sits like that until power is removed and then it works fine the next attempt.

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks...

Add'l Spec:
TurboLink ATX-CW500P4 500W PSU
DFI LanpartyUT nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS 06/23/2005)
AMD Opteron 165
2x OCZ Platinum Edition 2GB PC-4000
Saphire Radeon X850XTT 256mb PCI-E x16
WD SATA 2 - 250 GB
NEC Black DVD+/-RW ND-3540A

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Wow, by your description it isn't consistent, so I would start from a base post test, in this case, hard drive and any cd/dvd unplugged from the motherboard, and try it like that. No, it’s not going anywhere but I want to watch it to see if it’s going to restart, it shouldn't.

Now that we have the side open, are there any hot parts? lets hope not! Has it still been restarting? if it has, the problem is with one of the remaining pieces. If its not restarting, it will probably turnout to be a software problem!

zodiacboyscorp

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Speedfam shows everything withing normal temps.

I currnetly have three things connected to USB ports after canceling out of the hardware wizard dialog.

Right no it appears to be running fine.

Nothing that I can see feels hot

NEW dvelopement

I have on gig of ram installed, unplugged a DVD writer drive and no usb on. 8 fine reboots. Nothing seems bad

Tried pluging in one usb2 to restart, automatic restart in windows is shut down reboot.