pretty easy question abot hd's

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
im getting tired of reformating all the time and having to reinstall all my games and put my music back on and shit, i plan on buying a new mobo, so a reformat is in my near future, my question for u people is, if i reformat and put windows on a small partition (4 gigs or so) will i be able to reinstall windows without losing the rest of my data? my guess is yes but id like to make sure. also, i have a 160gb hd and only 128 is being shown, i know this is a problem with windows sp1, i guess ill upgrade and get sp2 when i reformat, does that fix the problem or is there somthing more i have to do?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
The answer to the first is yes. But I would make a 30g size for the OS partition.

The answer to the second is maybe. Your BIOS must also support the large drives via 48 bit addressing. Make sure you have the latest one for your mobo.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
see thats a problem with the hole bios thing, if uve ever been to chaintechs website ud probably agree, i went there in hopes of updating my drivers because of another problem (that i cant seem to remember anymore :lol: ) but i went there last night and downloaded it, but said i needed some weird ass bios reader which i couldnt find off the website? maybe im just an idiot but thats how it went last night... now, if i could only remember what i was getting new bios for...