HELP Win 7 upgrade then upgrading boot drive

bill vann

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Still can't get win7 64 on my machine. it is an upgrade

I tried to replace all the old drives and put my old C in an e-sata toaster. It boots, runs fine etc, but get errors from the install disk. MS said the install disk was bad, sent it back to newegg who verified it was good.

A friend (IT mgr.) said this upgrade methodology can be an issue. He said put the old drive back in, upgrade, then Backup an image and put it on one of the new drives.

A old drive 160MB new 1TB I've read if I do this I'll end up with only 160 MB available

B Acronis seems to be the program to get, will it do this and keep the entire drive, all 1 TB available?

C Are the instructions with Acronis sufficient?

Really stuck now for a month between crap MS Support and newegg saying the disk is good and really need to sort this now, I need my computer for work, Photographer and have images to deliver, reason to upgrade to Win7 64 is the Ram expansion for CS5

The install disk just came back from newegg last night and I have reloaded the original boot disk back into the system and it functions normally.

Gigabyte MB, Core 2 duo E6750, 8GB ram, Lite-on DVD, 4 HDDs 3) 1TB Seagate, 1) WD 160GB ~5 years old

bill vann

Acronis can expand the C-drive to the full size of the new disk. Did you perform the upgrade on the original disk?

bill vann

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I have not done the upgrade yet. so I have the upgrade disks, and a system with 4 drives in it C currently with XP Pro. wanted to have full knowledge and any tools (acronis etc) ready before I start

bill