Sign in with
Your question

Dell to buy Alienware. Really?

Last response: in CPUs
March 3, 2006 9:00:04 PM

Rahul Sood, founder of enthusiast PC company VoodooPC, has floated a few days ago the idea that Dell may be warming up to AMD by acquiring Alienware.

We've done a bit more reserach into this topic and while we couldn't get any hard evidence for such a deal as of now, it appears that Sood may not be far off.

What do you guys think? Does it make Dell more attractive? Or Alienware PCs less attractive?

Looking forward to reading your posts!

More about : dell buy alienware

March 3, 2006 9:06:16 PM

I don't see the pigs flying yet.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 3, 2006 9:11:30 PM

I wouldn't ever buy a Dell or an Alienware, so it makes no difference.
Related resources
March 3, 2006 9:16:14 PM

my ass! :x
March 3, 2006 9:18:26 PM

From what I read of his "personal blog", he just thought this idea up out of thin air. He gave reasons like "Dell needs more money" and "Dell wants to get into gaming", how does that mean they're planning to buy a company? Or even if Alienware would accept it, but if the #'s are high enough, can't say anybody would resist.

March 3, 2006 9:20:09 PM

Alienware makes good products, but if Dell gets it's paws on it, say good buy to a good company. Now if they keep the same tech and designs, and products... that make them as high end as they are than thats cool. But we all know how Dell is... the big freaking plastic parts all over!

I guess we will have to see.
March 3, 2006 9:30:36 PM

Dell makes some good stuff, mainly laptops. I have yet to see another mobile gaming system with a UXGA display and a Centrino package. You may sacrafice marginal CPU speed by going centrino but you save alot of battery life. This appeals to me because I wouldn't always want to game on a laptop so knowing that my notebook wont crap out in 30 min is nice to know :) 

As for Dell aquiring Alienware..... Hmmm what to think. With an increase in attention on gamers and the enthusiest market I'm not suprised to hear RUMORS of a big ass company like Dell or HP taking them over. I think it would be a good move for Dell, as long as they dont axe Alienware's image. Of course they will change things, but you never know, they could do things right :) 
March 3, 2006 9:30:51 PM

Quote:

yup
March 3, 2006 9:43:36 PM

I will rather see Dell get interesting without buying Allienware.

But can you guys please explain why you will won't buy an Alienware PC?
(if you can not build you own system)
March 3, 2006 9:48:46 PM

Quote:
I will rather see Dell get interesting without buying Allienware.

But can you guys please explain why you will won't buy an Alienware PC?
(if you can not build you own system)

Computer From XYZ Company: $1,250.56

Computer From Alienware: 2nd House Mortgage

March 3, 2006 9:59:46 PM

Yeah I read this on slashdot this morning. I think it would be a good move for Alienware so long as they keep the Alienware name intact. As the story suggests, Dell simply ain't "cool." If they intend to buy Alien to butcher it- they're wasting time and money.

I think it'll happen. Alienware is a well established company and has brand name recognition. Plus Dell has a TON of capital to blow.

As far as the AMD part goes- I don't Dell cares one way or the other. I doubt Dell is considering buying Alienware just so they can have an excuse to stick w/ Intel in their branded machines. That's going just a bit too far... even for Dell and Intel's famously loving relationship.

-mpjesse
March 3, 2006 10:13:13 PM

Alien has a bad customer service reputation. If anything Dell would improve this 100%.

Cost wise their top of the line model runs close to $8000.00 of which broken down component wise could be had for about 3000.00 if you wanted to spend that much. You could do it for even lower if you did not want all the bells and whistles.

Alien has a kick ass product. AMD happens to be one of their main suppliers for CPU and they have Nvidia as their major GPU supplier.

Rahul is creating this buzz just to get change market dynamics. Alien in a Dell Business plan means lower prices. That way those who want to spend the big bucks on his product can do so with snobish appeal. Like Rolex vs Timex.
March 3, 2006 10:15:51 PM

With so many corporations coming together I would not doubt this one bit. (Intels in Macs? Who would have thought?) Would this cause me to buy there systems? NO. I wouldn't buy any of these companies systems.
EVER. :D 
March 3, 2006 10:45:01 PM

Dell/ Alienware= good and bad. The good would be that Alienware has more resources (capital) to work with, which could lower prices on there high-end PC's. I agree that Alienware has to keep the Dell bosses from messing with their operation, read: don't start giving us cheap/ proprietary parts, cheesy paint jobs, etc. Alienware could also give Dell the 'AMD' factor that's been missing, keeping Intel in the productivity division of Dells market. It's a win/ win for Dell.

I also agree with a lot of the other posters who wouldn't touch Alienware or Dell... make your own if you go high-end. Or go with OverdrivePC, Monarch is another alternative, those guys give you serious bang for your buck.

Almost forgot, I don't think this merger will happen since Dell is already beefing up it's gaming division with a quad-gpu rig and holding hands with nVidia.

From another thread in the forumz, Intel vs. AMD... AMD ROCKS! Since I started getting into PC's with the turn of the century, I've found that Intel has usually tried to use brute force to make better/ faster cpu's while AMD has tried to their brains to make better/ faster cpu's. Case in point-- When dual-core cpu's hit the market, AMD already had a bridge in place while Intel rushed to put out a piece of garbage that didn't have a bridge inside the cpu. AMD subsequently smacked down Intel, and will continue to smack Intel. I mean, DAMN, they run a third less GHz in AMD cpu's and STILL smack down Intel.

8) 8O :D 
March 3, 2006 10:53:07 PM

As much as I hate the thought, I have to welcome it. Alienware could be the brand Dell needs to change the companies image. Let's just hope Dell basically lets Alienware stay the way they are, a decent PC thats severly overpriced.

But as I read this article elsewhere, I like the idea presented in it. Dells acqusation of Alienware may be Dell's indirect approach to using AMD systems. Using Alienware as there AMD brand they can make AMD based solutions for customers, while keeping there Intel "inside" deal, kinda like getting your feet wet before diving in.

Here's to hoping.
March 3, 2006 11:41:20 PM

Quote:
As much as I hate the thought, I have to welcome it. Alienware could be the brand Dell needs to change the companies image. Let's just hope Dell basically lets Alienware stay the way they are, a decent PC thats severly overpriced.

But as I read this article elsewhere, I like the idea presented in it. Dells acqusation of Alienware may be Dell's indirect approach to using AMD systems. Using Alienware as there AMD brand they can make AMD based solutions for customers, while keeping there Intel "inside" deal, kinda like getting your feet wet before diving in.

Here's to hoping.

I'm with you, this deal makes since. They have had serious problems selling their XPS systems, and this will definately help them sell gaming systems. Also Alienware has used AMD for many many years, allowing for Dell to use proven AMD designs rather than jumping into it without knowing anything about it.

Also, this way supply should not be a problem. AMD is a big partner with Alienware, and Alienware knows them well. If Dell buys them, you betchya they will let all the Alienware staff come along for the ride. This way everyone wins.

Problems could arise, however, BECAUSE they are so different. Dell management will be ultimately in charge, and they will probably start by letting the Alienware section do their thing, but soon Dell will want to intervene. That will cause division amongst them. Dell will also want to "force" the alienware guys to train dell people about their existing systems, and a huge dogfight over who's support method is better could erupt.

Don't forget the HP-Compaq merger. Looked good on paper. Sure, HP now gets the benifits that Compaq provides as well as the benifits HP had, but they now have HP's problems AND Compaq's problems too. And Compaq had a sh!tload of problems!
March 4, 2006 12:27:58 AM

It's not so much that Dell needs to aquire Alienware so much as Dell needs to use all the resources from that they would to use here to create an adequate high end product. Let's face it though, Dell's market consists of low-end to mid range computers and unless things change people like those who inhabit these forums will continue to build their own rigs for the performance they are looking for. Overall, I'm not big on either of the two companies.
March 4, 2006 12:49:43 AM

Oftentimes keeping your finger on the pulse of the PC industry is a good thing. However, if you don't know what you're doing it can lead to constipation. In extreme instances, it might mean a rectal colostomy.
Of course, it's entirely feasible one might live a full life with one's sphincter attached to a digit.
Perhaps we should ask Sting about the potential acquisition? After all, he wrote the song "Wrapped Around Your Finger".
Perhaps nVidias quad-SLI technology simply made someone else lose a level of intestinal fortitude. After all, anyone can feel a little self concious after the sh1t hits the cloth.
March 4, 2006 12:59:35 AM

Dell doesn't <need> Alienware, but here's the thing:

Right now Dell is sitting on a buttload of cash. It's no secret that shareholders have been pressuring Dell to spend their capital in some manner. And shareholders have been generally displeased with Dell's inability to grow. Right now Dell is in a period of no growth. They're making money, but they're not growing. The only part of their business that's even remotely growing right now is their printer business... and even that has stalled. In fact, if you look at the 12 month stock report of Dell, it's been steadily falling.

http://quote.morningstar.com/Quote.html?ticker=DELL&pmt...

Anyways, when you have this much cash you typically do 1 of 2 things: pay out dividends to your shareholders or buy something. Wal-Mart, M$, and ExxonMobile are going through the same troubles.

At this point in Dell's strategic situation I think it makes more sense for Dell to spend their cash on a printer company like Lexmark. Right now Lexmark Optra's and T630's are frigin hot. Dell already has a rebanding deal w/ Lexmark so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for Dell to buy Lexmark. This, to me, makes more sense from a competitive and growing point of view. But Lexmark can't be had for less than a couple billion at least. Alienware could probably be had for around $500,000 million or less.

Alienware made approximately $170,000,000 in revenue last year. That's nothing! The piddly company I work for made six times that last year. In retrospect Dell made $49 billion in NET revenue last year. Because alienware is a private company, they are not obligated to share their earnings with the public. So who knows if alienware is even profitable?

Indeed this probably is just a way for Dell to increase revenue in a growing market (if it even is one. as madmodmike pointed out this is nothing more than speculation and rumor). The only reason Dell would buy Alienware is for revenue growth and maybe (this is a stretch) for plausible deniability to their good friends at Intel.

Generally speaking, there's not a whole lot of money to be made in the gaming pre-built computer arena (right now). I've seen a few reports that the high end enthusiast market is growing. Additionally gaming PC's have an extremely high margin.

Just my financial thoughts. ;-)

-mpjesse
March 4, 2006 1:40:02 AM

I personally could care less, I dont plan on buying a computer from a dell, HP, Alienware, voodoo, etc.

I do not know if this will actually pan out, there are some good reasons as mpjesse stated. But I thought that Dell would use AMD because it made logical sense, yet that didnt pan out. This move would be good if dell does it like car companies acquiring other companies. Ford owns jaguar yet jaguar retains its own name. As long as Dell keeps the core of dell seperate from alienware and visa versa Dell should see a boost in their revenues. Dell would remain the manufacterer of cheap computers for the average joe. And alienware the true perfromance pc manufacterer. Dell cannot rely gain marketshare any other way because of the stigma dell has in this, the enthusiaste, community. But, part of me thinks that Dell will eschew this train of thought. If for no other reason than it would require that they admit that their XPS line is a failure.
March 4, 2006 1:42:27 AM

Indeed... indeed.
March 4, 2006 4:24:17 AM

I guess we're giving up on the Dell switching to Amd rumour.....Ok let's try the Dell buying Alienware which uses Amd rumour yeah that's it. Why does this guy have such a hardon for Dell using Amd. You know hp, lenovo, and gateway use amd, so let's just let it be and move on. Just move on it's oooooooooook.
March 4, 2006 4:27:40 AM

I owned a Alienware before I started building my own computers. Ive also owned a dell laptop. All i can say is that alienware is one of the best companies out there for some one who is looking for a gaming computer. If dell gets ahold of it, they will start installing all of their dirty littly usless programs on it and screw it all up. Just my 2 cents, personally i wouldnt buy from either of them any more, if i were to buy a premade computer, Voodoo is the way to go.
March 4, 2006 4:43:57 AM

Well my question is, does it makes Alienware not cost like $5000 for an sli setup? With the same budget for an Alienware 7800GT SLI, I can make an setup with 7800GTX 512!
March 4, 2006 4:44:01 AM

I currently own an alienware.. Lets just say they are way way way overrated and the customer service is horrid. Not to mention I have had problems with it ever since i got it... which was about 3 weeks ago.. Save your money.. dont go alienware.. its just a name.. The whole point of buying a packaged deal is for customer service and warranty.. In both of these areas alienware is lacking badly. Not to mention something that cost almost 3,000 dollars should work when you get it. Its just a name.. nothing more.
March 4, 2006 4:47:39 AM

I say keep them seperate, Alienware = good, Dell = bad. Mix the two and your just going to get mediocre
March 4, 2006 5:31:50 AM

If Dell wants to get into the "hardcore gaming" arena then he needs to fire the n00b experts and yes-men he has standing around him telling him that hes doing the right thing. Dell needs to rethink his whole market strategy; if he's going to sell to the "hardcore" market then Dell is going to have to take the proprietory and unupgradable cr4p out of his machines. Certainly Dell knows that "hardcore gamers" will build their own computer rather than blow $3000+ on an XPS, Voodoo, or Alienware.

Even if he does buy Alienware who cares? If anything the customer support would be good for Alienware and perhaps some respect might come to the XPS if it adopts Alienware standards, but do I see any important gain by either company? No.

As for AMD, Dell is an idiot not to have already started using AMD processors in his computers. I don't care what kind of contract he has with Intel, if he did go with AMD no way would Intel say no to Dell using both companies because THEY rely on Dell. Not the other way around.

AMD is already proved they have equal if not better quality products than Intel and they sure seem to be leading the pace in R&D and efficiency of their products. Don't believe me? Hey DELL!! Why don't you have your so-called "analyst experts" take a look a see how much market share your precisious Intel is losing to AMD and how much AMD growing financially?

Horrible way to run a business if you ask me.

End,
M-Tech out.
March 4, 2006 7:22:51 AM

Quote:

Agreed......who wants a dell or alienware anyways? but from a business perspective I guess it makes since for dell but I really don't see this changing the fact that a good portion of hardcore gamers would never have either do to the fact that we like building our own......
March 4, 2006 7:33:05 AM

It's benfeficial for Dell.
They'll probably make a gaming section where there will be more AMDs than Intels. This would increase sales so get them more profit. Dell is already owning a LOT of molah but more would be always welcomed.
March 4, 2006 8:16:58 AM

Dell is for squares. Real geeks build their rigs.
March 4, 2006 9:38:32 AM

lol geeks being the words guys well for a start alienware pc are a totally rip off, second dell dont use cheap parts(samsung kingston, sony intel, sharp) cheap parts eh guys) prob the strongest cases and best built cases on the market.
Also Dell 24 inch flat screen is the best and cheapest on the market fact!!!!
And a third and finally point is in 10 yrs dell will be the only pc manufacture out there.(And yes i do work for Dell in ireland) Irish built is better built :p ) :p 
March 4, 2006 9:51:46 AM

Yeah alienware is mostly name but you can buy Alienware stickers for your pc! I've actually found some companies better than alienware. For the same setup with 7800gtx 512 sli it about $2000 less than of that of Alienware's. But people still buy alienware I guess for bragging rights of spending more money than it actually cost.
March 4, 2006 10:10:41 AM

Well i think for Dell it would be good and for Intell to suply high end chips they already have the small buisnes market when people are unsure about brand or produck they go for secuity and go Dell but they never got into the realy high end of computing so adding Alianware they can cover evry aspect of computing
Dell Intel and Apple and now for a foursome Alienware seems to cover a big slice of the market
Anyway smart buiness go for it I will still order my parts and make my computers
I like to play doctor frankinstiennnnnnn he he heeee its aboy
ITS A MONSTERRRRRRRRR
lol
PS i was readin up on Microsoft they are becomeing more and more Auto with there soft ware soon we will have no choice and all buy the computer already made with parts you dont want and now have what you do and choose on the net monetered and pre choose for you
I like to make things and fix and explore
Buggar gettin to serius KEEP it cool man go burseco with some parts :- )
Gazza
March 4, 2006 11:45:19 AM

no no no, i really DO NOT like this at all! dell is dell always using 2nd grade stuff. If ailenware is Ferrari then Dell is Ford. If Ford brought Ferrari and then desolved it then i think i'd probably kill myself.
March 4, 2006 12:11:17 PM

This would make a lot of sense as does the car company analogy but it will only work if Dell or any other manufacturer gives the high end company a great deal of autonomy. First, it allows them to go into another market segment. No matter what Ford offers under the Lincoln brand, it will never have the cachet of Jaguar. As been pointed out, it allows Dell to bring in a lot of people with experience with AMD. Dell has the experience with mass production while Alienware has the experience with AMD. Maybe most importantly, Alienware could become the R & D division of Dell. Car companies have racing as a way of developing and testing new technology and high-end gaming plays a similar role in computers. I think in the next 5 years or so there will be major changes in both the PC and laptop both as a result of new hardware technology and software. SATA, PCI e, SLI and Crossfire, and dual core are examples of hardware. From everything I’ve read about Vista it appears it will nor only demand more resources but will be better able to take advantage of the new hardware technology. And other software innovation will follow. Integrating and taking advantage of this new technology will require an enormous R & D effort especially making it affordable. There really has been little reason for your average computer users including businesses to upgrade hardware. A 4-year-old 2.4 GHz P4 will handle anything the average user throws at it. If Vista delivers the performance increases reported and requires more resources as well as takes advantage of the new technology, the demand for new computers will significantly increase in the next 5 years or so because people will need these upgrades but as noted, there will be a lot of R & D needed. This will have very little direct impact on those of use that build their own PCs other than the long term benefits of the R & D and the new hardware and software it will refine and create.
March 4, 2006 1:34:58 PM

My intial reaction is that this will bad for Alienware. I will be in the market for a new PC in the next six months and was leaning toward purchasing one from Alienware, but if this deal goes through I am look elsewhere.
March 4, 2006 2:05:05 PM

This whole thing is garbage. Alienware is overpriced and Dell is just about as dumb as dumb gets.

Alienware on average charges 30-50% MORE then the parts retail for. Dell has no idea how to build computers, they shiped a Dimension 1100 to my uncle with only 256MB of ram. I understand it was a customizable line and he could have had it ship with atleast 512 in it but he knows nothing about computers and thats besides the point. No computer with windows XP should be sold with less then 512MB of ram. Even for an office computer....

Alienware is just too easy to bash... their priceing is all that needs be said. That and the fact you cant customize your motherboard anymore.

Couple all those facts together with the growing console industry and you have yourself one nice problem if you have a company focused on selling pre built computers (higher end ones mostly).

If you remotely know how to build a system then your much much better off just doing it on your own. Even if you damage something(s) you will still save money this route. That and im pretty sure no pre built systems allow you to overclock.

ON the original subject... If Dell does buy alienware they could make a killing if they could lower the Alienware MSRP. Like you guys have said they are sitting on a ton of capital and lowering the MSRP by 15% wouldnt hurt them at all... just cut into Alien's profits slightly. But then again more units are likely to sell and that puts Aliens name in more places.
March 4, 2006 2:43:06 PM

yes but there are exceptions.
1. When talking about laptops
2. Special offers that sometimes(very rarely of course) make a good bargain.
But yeah,real geeks build their rigs especially gaming ones.
March 4, 2006 2:51:03 PM

Quote:
Alien has a bad customer service reputation. If anything Dell would improve this 100%.

Cost wise their top of the line model runs close to $8000.00 of which broken down component wise could be had for about 3000.00 if you wanted to spend that much. You could do it for even lower if you did not want all the bells and whistles.

Alien has a kick ass product. AMD happens to be one of their main suppliers for CPU and they have Nvidia as their major GPU supplier.

Rahul is creating this buzz just to get change market dynamics. Alien in a Dell Business plan means lower prices. That way those who want to spend the big bucks on his product can do so with snobish appeal. Like Rolex vs Timex.

no it wont have a lower price because Alienware doesnt less to the average joe they have pretty much a monopoly on the gaming pre-built PC's, first off u pay $500 for their case

now if the prices did go down they would still be high for the average person and thats why prices wont go down they seem to be making money so why drop th eprices even lower
March 5, 2006 12:09:45 AM

Alien does not have a monopoly on the pre built gaming market, at their costs how can the average gamer afford them? Most look at what they got and can build for less. There are other manufacturers that can build the exact same machine for a lot less and are just as much in the game as Alien. You havent heard of them but they exist. Look at any gamer mag. Because Alien charges so much they can afford to advertise.

Dell coming in with their big bankroll could start a faster mass production of them. Causing a lowering of the cost to build and inturn lowering the cost to customer. The fact that they can do that is exactly what the other botique builders want. With Alien out of their "League" there is less competition for those who want to overspend for a rig. How many botique builders can you count? Think they arent hoping it gets smaller?
March 5, 2006 1:51:16 AM

Quote:
I guess we're giving up on the Dell switching to Amd rumour.....Ok let's try the Dell buying Alienware which uses Amd rumour yeah that's it. Why does this guy have such a hardon for Dell using Amd. You know hp, lenovo, and gateway use amd, so let's just let it be and move on. Just move on it's oooooooooook.

Well and the opposite could be said of Dell. "Why does Dell have a hardon for Intel?"

Amd is a PC processor that works with Windows. Unless Dell believes that having less choices is better for the consumer then that's... OK.

But the recent news is that Intel is getting handed it's a$$ in a tin cup. {keep the change :p  }

So now with this recent news out maybe Dell is starting to feel even more "Pressure" and because of the statements a while ago.... going to AMD on their own now would make them look... shall we say, mmm stupid.

I guess with all that money they got they can afford to be stupid for awhile. :roll:
March 5, 2006 2:52:18 AM

From a business and consumer standpoint I would have to say that this is a good idea. But from a personal standpoint, I don't care.
March 5, 2006 10:57:28 AM

For all ye know it alls here a bit of info for u,
1:) Amd started out by infringing copyright and ripping off intel
2:) If u buy Amd u better pray and hope ur heatsink/cooling system doesnt fail cause ****bang**** any1 for fried chip, intel will shut off.
3:) Dell dont use second grade stuff ive had every make of pc and the only 1 not to give trouble is a dell(sony, sharp, samsung, lg, intel, ati, nvida, western digtal, kingston) all the crap parts there all right.
4.) if u build ur own and parts fail it will take u weeks/months to get the prob sorted out dell 24-72 hours(depending on warranty).
5:)  Alienware are the biggest rip off pimp my pc lol kinda sad really stickers on ur pc 3k well worth it.
6:) Reason dell use nothing but intel is cause they own shares in each other
7:) I'm a dell employee and gaming is about 1/2% of their sales 57 million systems sold last yr but i will buy what pc is the best and i have made built my own pcs many times.
March 5, 2006 2:34:46 PM

yah the last one....

becuas edumbasses cant build their own gaming rig so they buy an XPS for 3000 bucks get a gig of ram and a 6600GT
March 5, 2006 2:59:11 PM

Quote:
7:) I'm a dell employee and gaming is about 1/2% of their sales 57 million systems sold last yr but i will buy what pc is the best and i have made built my own pcs many times.

no wonder you say this :p  . no i will give it to Dell they build a good cheap business computer. But there home systems are crap. I can't count on both hands how manny people i know who bought a Dell then had the system take a fat load on there chest after 3months or so. Its ridiculous. The only system that last strong for me was an eMachine before Gateway bought them, that system ran for 8months before it started dieing on me.

Dell Business = good for corporations
Dell Consumer = terrible quality
March 5, 2006 8:48:57 PM

One thing we can all agree on, the actual impact on buying Alienware will be minimal for Dell because of the prohibitive mark ups. I can understand a computer compnay marking up 25% they need to recoup the costs and gain a little profit, people who freak out because a business marks a product up need to grow up and enter the real world. But marking up 30-50% is extreme, especially without any REAL benefiet. If someone was given a long warranty and great customer service then maybe, but thats not likely. People like to single apart Dell as a horrid computer compnay, there are some legit reasons. But saying that Dell is dumber than dumer, well thats failing to look at market share. All retail computer manufacters are horrid if you think about it. Toshiba intentionally ships faulty products, and will delay recieving your product for replacement/repair until after the warranty expires. HP builds pretty good Biz computers but the price tag is large. Fujistu well its meh with meh everything else. Sony, my friend has an old viao that is still working, but Sony's practices as of late of turned me off to them. In the end Dell's major fault is shipping computers that cannot be upgraded. All retail manufacters need to be shaken up a bit.
March 6, 2006 7:16:32 PM

I emailed Alienware about the romours. Here is the reply I got.

Dear Christopher Gorman

Thank you for contacting Alienware!

With regard to your inquiry, we have no confirmed information on any transaction of that nature, and at this point what you're hearing is pure speculation. If there is going to be any like transaction, we will of course have that information posted and an announcement made.

Please do not hesitate to contact Alienware on 0800 279 9751if you have any additional questions or concerns. Our office hours are from 9am to 7pm (GMT) on weekdays and from 9am to 3pm on Saturdays.

Thank you for choosing ALIENWARE.

UK Customer Service Team

Alienware Ltd.
Free Phone: 0800-279 9751
International Phone: 00 353-906-456-500
Fax: 00 353-906-486-967
www.alienware.co.uk

As a loyal Alienware customer I done think alienware would sell up anyway. It is okay dell wanting to by them. But alienware have to want to sell. And dell would runi the company. Alienware use standard pc parts where as dell make every part except the CPu. if they introduced that to alienware it would ruin them.

Dont believe these stupid roumours. This is like Inel announcing that they just bought AMD.

I own an Area-51 3500 and the build quality is fantastic. You actually havr to look hard to find the wires. It is the most reliable pc I have ever owned and the one problem I have had was due to Symantec and their bloody interet security.

I am happy with it and I feel that you are not only paying for the name, but you are paying for the excellant service and support I have experienced. I would also like to point out that I am talking about the UK alienware. The total cost for my system was £1038.14. Hey I could have built a better one for less, but I dont really care. I would easuily reccommened them over dell or quality, service and reliability any day.
March 6, 2006 7:34:58 PM

One of the major reason why I didn't buy a Dell the last time I bought a laptop was simply because they did not offer any AMD-based laptops. 8)
March 6, 2006 10:37:33 PM

Quote:
Rahul Sood, founder of enthusiast PC company VoodooPC, has floated a few days ago the idea that Dell may be warming up to AMD by acquiring Alienware.

We've done a bit more reserach into this topic and while we couldn't get any hard evidence for such a deal as of now, it appears that Sood may not be far off.

What do you guys think? Does it make Dell more attractive? Or Alienware PCs less attractive?

Looking forward to reading your posts!

Alienware is a total rip. I can put the same PC together for about $1,000 less than they charge.

$1,000 for a flashy case with an alien head on it and LED's everywhere? You can keep it.

As far as Dell buying Alienware, It probably wont change things at all. They will still offer high end PC's with interchangeable hardware, it will just be filling Dell's pockets rather than whoever owns Alienware currently.
March 6, 2006 10:48:15 PM

$1000 markup on a PC isn't that bad. Think about what they have to fund with that $1000, marketing? support? replacement hardware? expansion? r&D (so to speak)?

You sacrafice alot building your own system but you also gain alot, as with everythign its a trade off and whats best for you. Personaly I like being my own tech support, and alot of the times its a f***in pain in teh ass, espcially with the recent DFI Expert bios issue. But I also have had 2 Dell's and a Compaq (back when they were quality :p ) and don't regret it. I used them to learn off of.

When most of the world cannot, or are not willing to, build their own pc, rely on product level warranties and company specific tech support $1000 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that comes with it.

As for the "takeover" you can't say your at all surprised? It was only a matter of time before the large corporation types tried to do a friendly takeover of a enthusiast company. It just makes good business sense. Why risk failure in designing your own esthusiast division when you can take over someone else who already knows how to do it and just tweak it to your liking?

This of course Alienware's shareholder's vote to allow the buy out. Its all up in the air, so we shall see.
!