About AMD X2's normal temps

talentosoabv

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
i have a 4800 X2 cpu with stock HSF but i dont know wich is the right temperature when iddle and when fully loaded, i get temps around 47 iddle and 52 while heavily loaded, is this fine??? thx in advance

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Those temps are within range however IMO, I would try to get them lower. Perhaps check the HSF and maybe reinstall it to see if you can drop them lower. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

RocketRobin

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
52C is acceptable for heavy loading, considering you still have at least 18C of headroom for reliable operation.
You should see idle temps lower when initiating Cool'n'Quiet.
For optimal electrical efficiency, you should use a CPU cooler that keeps load temps below 40C (about where the VRM starts to decrease CPU voltage). As a rule of thumb, CPU dice operate very efficiently at, or near human body temperature.
If you're doing some heavy overclocking and running the core voltage balls to the wall, then temperatures as high as 70C are not uncommon. In those situations, electrical wastage becomes very high and cooling system noise levels increase in concert.

scoobertscoobydoo

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
i have a 4800 X2 cpu with stock HSF but i dont know wich is the right temperature when iddle and when fully loaded, i get temps around 47 iddle and 52 while heavily loaded, is this fine??? thx in advance

i would guess your case sucks. not enough flow, unless your house is like 95F. run it with the side off and see if it goes down...

alphakp295

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
isn't it kinda high??
mine runs @ 19C idle... oced @ 2.75ghz...
about 42 @ load...
of course mine is 4200+ though...
but oced... so... isn't that high?

talentosoabv

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
í'musing an xg dragon case with one fan in the front one in the back and one in the side panel is it a bad case???? and my room temp is around 25C

I have a question for you- is the stock heatink/thermal pad included in the processor-in-a-box setups enough? I got a 4200+ and am going to put it together today. My case has a 120mm case fan and an 80mm fan on the CPU HS duct.

G

Yes, those temps do seem high. I idle at about 32*C and under FULL load (so far the best test is CoD2 -- that game makes my computer whine!) I get as high as 47-50*C. I replaced the stock thermal compound with a thin coating of arctic silver.

Right now I have the two case fans in the P180 set to 'lo', bcs my ambient tends to be pretty low in the winter time. Come summer, I'll probably have to increase the case fans to keep those temps the same...

Sounds like you either have a case cooling issue, or you may want to try a different thermal compound. BTW, what mobo are you using for these temp readings? I know MSI has had some issues reporting correct CPU temps with AMD chips. A friend of mine with a Neo4 Platinum and a 3500+ has his BIOS reporting 50*C at idle, which is total BS..

sturm

Splendid
Just built an 3800+ x2 for a friend. Stock heatsink and paste. Idles about 93F/34c with medium load temps about 107F/42c. 1 12cm fan at rear, 1 12cm fan at front and a 60 on the side blowing right over cpu fan.

I did cut out the grill on the front of the case to help with airflow. Still has face plate grill so you cant see the big hole.