What is the "To Cage" switch all about?

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just curious - thought somebody could enlighten me on the purpose of this -
not very well documented in the help files....

nick wrote:
> Just curious - thought somebody could enlighten me on the purpose of
> this - not very well documented in the help files....

You need to cage the gyro compass before indulging in aerobatics, otherwise
it takes ages to settle down afterwards even if it hasn 't broken!

--
Cheers,

Quilly

An individual reply goes into my spam filter

nick <raymondvt@excite.com> wrote:

> Just curious - thought somebody could enlighten me on the purpose of this -
> not very well documented in the help files....

In some non-aerobatic aircraft equipped with electric attitude indicators,
this cage knob is used to "reset" the AI. By pulling and releasing the
cage knob, the AI will level itself and return to center, resetting the
instrument's precession that may have occurred over the last x number of
minutes of flight.

--
Peter

> nick wrote:
>> Just curious - thought somebody could enlighten me on the purpose of
>> this - not very well documented in the help files....
>
> You need to cage the gyro compass before indulging in aerobatics,
> otherwise it takes ages to settle down afterwards even if it hasn 't
> broken!

Basically locks them in position while you throw the plane around to prevent
damage.