Sign in with
Your question

Asrock Dual SATA-2 to keep my All in Wonder 9800 features?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 4, 2006 12:15:58 AM

Ok guys,

I am looking to upgrade my AIW 9800 Pro to probably an X850XT (I would like to stay with ATI for driver issues), and switch to PCI-E in the process.

However, I want to keep the cable tuner and input/output capabilities ov my AIW card. I am thinking of getting the Asrock Dual Sata 2 mobo (AGP and PCI-E slots) for the transition.

Anybody tried this yet? If not, anyone seen anything on it? Feel free to post any advice you may have.

Thanks
March 4, 2006 1:29:58 AM

um.. yeah... i just saw your two posts... you only need one...
neways..
i've built it and gave it to one of my friends...
it was good...
cheap... and best of all... best choice for an upgrade...
performance was not really different than any other mobos...
you can't notice the difference unless you run a benchmark...
for that price.. few points difference in benchmark is worth it i think...
tom's hardware also have that mobo reviewed several months ago...
review seemed okay; that's why i bought that mobo...
you won't regret... for that price and the possibility of upgrade w/ that mobo...
March 4, 2006 1:50:50 AM

I don't see a reason that it wouldn't work, but I've never tried myself. If it works for dual video card mode for displays, then it should work for the inputs, but you might be better off to get a USB tuner or some other such device.
Related resources
March 4, 2006 4:38:49 AM

Thanks guys, I saw the Tom's review, I was more worried about verifying the two cards.

The reason I double posted is its sometimes hard to get replies on one or the other.
March 4, 2006 5:24:50 PM

from what I hear, you can't use it as an SLI type setup, but you can for multiple monitors. So wouldn't the tuner etc, work in that case??

I I am goint to spend the money for a new tuner, I will just get a newer AIW card.
March 4, 2006 11:50:40 PM

Yeah, I thought of that, however, if I were going to get another AIW, I would get the X1800XL. (I still might). I haven't really seen a TV tuner that has the features I want, plus, since I use onboard sound, I would need a seperate soundcard for many of them.

I am beginning to think that for the $70 the mobo costs, I should just try it and see what happens.
March 5, 2006 5:38:56 AM

I've got a 939dual-SATA2 and it's been very good to me so far. Stable as hell.
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2006 10:55:20 AM

You can use both at once for 4 monitor support, so that setup has a good chance of working. I wonder if Crash has tried this as he played with this mobo before it was available to buy. I might just have to try this although it wouldn't be for a few days as I temporarily swiped the cpu from my Asrock system.
!