ASRock Dual SATA2 with AGp and PCI-e

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Ok guys,

I am looking to upgrade my AIW 9800 Pro to probably an X850XT (I would like to stay with ATI for driver issues), and switch to PCI-E in the process.

However, I want to keep the cable tuner and input/output capabilities ov my AIW card. I am thinking of getting the Asrock Dual Sata 2 mobo (AGP and PCI-E slots) for the transition.

Anybody tried this yet? If not, anyone seen anything on it? Feel free to post any advice you may have.

I also posted in the graphics section to reach a broader audience.

Thanks

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
That's the problem, I have seen the reviews, and they all seem to gloss over this issue. I am not sure waht to do, since if it isn't going to work, I can just buy a PCI-E AIW card and a better board from the start. But I'd rather save the money.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
im pretty sur eanand said tha tthe AGP slot was a bit slower than normal AGP slots

but why do u ned an AGP slot?

save up a littl emore and buy a PCI-e card

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Well, I could care less about the AGP speed, since it will just be for the CATV tuner and the Inputs/outputs. I don't plan on running a monitor from it.

As far as saving up more, I have to go to at least an AIW X1800XL at $309, as opposed to $160 for the PCI-E X850XT I want to get with it.

dougeefresh

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I am running this mobo with ATI 9800Pro AGP and everything is working great. It overclocks without a problem using front side bus but will require some hack (closing a connection on the mobo) to raise the VCORE as it is not possible to do so with a stock board. I only have an AGP card and ePCI is empty so can't say how they will work together but AGP is working just fine.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I have used AGP in my AsRock DualSATA2. It works fine--you just need the ULi AGP driver installed before any video drivers. They say you can use both PCIe and AGP at the same time--you will need atleast two monitors and the TV will likely only work on one.

I have a AIW, and that's the problem; you can't upgrade the video. Now I have a TV wonder and a x800gto. I can still use it when I get a x1900 or 7900.

I'm kind of a overclocker. The duaSATA2 is not realy good for that without some simple mods. The worst thing about the Asrock is it will not work over 274 HTT without a OCworkbench beta BIOS, and at that speed you need a hard-off to reboot. Sometimes mine will not POST at all. I reset CMOS over and over and it plays dead. Then out of the blue it works again. I don't recomend it. If you dont oc like mad it's fine.

Stock Vcore is max 1.45, stock Vdimm is max 2.7. Moded mine has 1.55 Vcore (mine was 1.61 with a DVM) and 3.3 Vdimm. It will work well over 300 HTT, with lowered muntiplyers.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I also had an ATI 9800 AIW and got this board to bridge the gap before i could afford a new PCI-e solution. Now that i have an ATI 1900xt ive been so taken by it that i havent yet put my 9800 back in the agp slot to test if you could use them both at the same time. I too am also curious about this and also saw that nobody has a clear answer. I even went as far to email ASRock tech help and got no response (its been about 1 month, so i doubt that i will get any response now). Anyways, the only thing thats really holding me back at the moment is the fact that my pc gets a bit hot under load, so i dont think cluttering up my case even more by adding an agp card under my dual slot mother of a pci-e card is a good idea ATM. Once i get a couple more case fans and some AS5 for my CPU, i will definetly give this a try...i might even say screw it, and try it tonight...i really miss watching tv in bed ;P

Will post findings at a later date.

pat

Expert
I also had an ATI 9800 AIW and got this board to bridge the gap before i could afford a new PCI-e solution. Now that i have an ATI 1900xt ive been so taken by it that i havent yet put my 9800 back in the agp slot to test if you could use them both at the same time. I too am also curious about this and also saw that nobody has a clear answer. I even went as far to email ASRock tech help and got no response (its been about 1 month, so i doubt that i will get any response now). Anyways, the only thing thats really holding me back at the moment is the fact that my pc gets a bit hot under load, so i dont think cluttering up my case even more by adding an agp card under my dual slot mother of a pci-e card is a good idea ATM. Once i get a couple more case fans and some AS5 for my CPU, i will definetly give this a try...i might even say screw it, and try it tonight...i really miss watching tv in bed ;P

Will post findings at a later date.

Both AGP and PCIe card will work together with this motherboard but, The AIW need to be set as primary in order to use the VIVO feature. Setting the PCIe card as primary will remove the capture ability of the AIW. I did try it with my system and did not find a solution as to use the VIVO fonction of the AIW only while using the PCIe for everything else. I did not try to put a PCI card to see if I can have the 3 card working at the same time. But 2 card will happily work

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Thanks a lot for you help. I've seen some info that backs that up recently, and I am now maybe thinkin about an AIW X1900, since I won't have to upgrade that for a while, and I think I can use that in a similar way in a two PCI-E slot without SLI. I may be wrong, but I figure I got awhile to find out then.