Sonicwall GVC clashes with other VPN software???

CD

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

My company uses the AT&T Network Client VPN software for us to connect
to the corporate network. I, however, have a TZ-170 at home. I would
like to be able to connect into my ome network while I'm on the road.
My thought was I would either invoke the AT&T **or** the Sonicwall
client BUT NEVER TOGETHER to connect to which ever network I wanted.

So I tweaked the TZ-170, installed the GVC software on the laptop, went
to the neighbor's to try a connection. NADA!! Doing an ipconfig
showed no network devices at all. "ipconfig /renew" returned with
nothing.

Looking at the "Control Panel:Network Connections" showed the wired
adapter enabled as well as the AT&T and Sonicwall clients (normal for
the AT&T, not sure for Sonicwall). Looking at the detail for the wired
network adapter indicated no ip address nor packets. I could not
disable the adapter nor the Sonicwall nor AT&T client adapters. That
was not normal.

Does anyone know if you can have the AT&T and Sonicwall VPN clients
installed and co-exist gracefull on the same machine??

Thanks

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

I've never had success with ANY two clients on the same machine.
Cisco, Safenet, SonicWALL. Palabra?

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

Its made worse by the fact that the Sonicwall GVC is a bit of a bastardised
vpn client to make their solution easier to deploy. Its not compatible with
other platforms. The best solution is to deploy the safenet client which
works with all the main vpn firewalls (although its a pig to configure with
the sonicwall).

All these clients use a shim into the networking stack, thats why you can't
have two on one PC, and they also screw up the occasional networking app.

"Munpe Q" <funyon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've never had success with ANY two clients on the same machine.
> Cisco, Safenet, SonicWALL. Palabra?

CD

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

Thanks to both of you who responded. I appreciate the information.

Mark S wrote:
> Its made worse by the fact that the Sonicwall GVC is a bit of a
bastardised
> vpn client to make their solution easier to deploy. Its not
compatible with
> other platforms. The best solution is to deploy the safenet client
which
> works with all the main vpn firewalls (although its a pig to
configure with
> the sonicwall).
>
> All these clients use a shim into the networking stack, thats why you
can't
> have two on one PC, and they also screw up the occasional networking
app.

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

I've successfully installed the Nortel VPN client, and then installed
the 4.6 version of the Cisco client. They both work fine. I think
this is a feature in Cisco's client, version 4.5 and later.

Doesn't ATT use Nortel?

CD wrote:
> Thanks to both of you who responded. I appreciate the information.
>

> Mark S wrote:
> > Its made worse by the fact that the Sonicwall GVC is a bit of a
> bastardised
> > vpn client to make their solution easier to deploy. Its not
> compatible with
> > other platforms. The best solution is to deploy the safenet client
> which
> > works with all the main vpn firewalls (although its a pig to
> configure with
> > the sonicwall).
> >
> > All these clients use a shim into the networking stack, thats why
you
> can't
> > have two on one PC, and they also screw up the occasional
networking
> app.

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

Mark S makes some very good points about the GVC. It is indeed a bastardized
client which (IMO) creates many more problems than it solves. The old
version 8 Sonicwall client certainly had its quirks (to put it mildly), but
at least it didn't spoil your computer for every other networking task. I've
seen too many machines go down in flames b/c of the darned GVC. Next time I
have to install an IPSec client, I'll try the old SafeNet version first.