PC not booting properly

chrbal6406

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Hi everyone,

The wierdest thing that I have ever is happening to my day old computer. I initially got it and installed a better graphics card (nVidia n460 gtx) and finally got it all setup. Computer ran perfectly (above expectations actually) for about 14 hours (updating, installing applications, etc). I shut down the computer and in the morning, turned it on to find it freezing at the mobo splash screen. If I hit F8 repeatedly it will boot (not in safe mode) and I can restart it just fine as much as I want. This only happens when I do a complete shutdown and a fresh power up. If anyone would know what is causing this would be great so I can get it worked out. I bought the computer from Newegg.com and here are the specs.

Brand: CyberpowerPC
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHz
Processor Main Features: 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Memory: 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333
Hard Drive: 1TB (1 x 1TB) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD
Optical Drive: 1 24X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive
Graphics:nVidia n460 gtx (Fermi) 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics
Audio: Sound card - Integrated
Ethernet: 10/100/1000Mbps
Power Supply: 600W
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

If anyone knows why this is happening or how to fix it would be great. Thanks everyone.

I don't know what kind of video card the PC originally came with, though your 460 might be pushing that no-brand 600W power supply over the edge. What kind of power supply is it? Make / Model?

Ubercake has a good point. If you trust the specs, though, it's not the card unless you have something else eating a heck of a lot of power:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 104 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 160 W
Minimum Recommended System Power (W) 450 W
Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin & 6-pin

Are there any beep codes or status lights on the motherboard during boot-up that might give us a hint?

Edit: Can you put in the old graphics card or, if there wasn't one, use the onboard graphics for a while? If you get the same problem, then it's not the graphics card.

Yeah. Try the video card swap and see if it works. A bad video card can also cause POST problems (lockups, double boots, shutdowns, etc...). Though, I'm assuming the card you're replacing has a lower power requirement?

Not knowing whether the power is good or not stinks.

There are many generic power supplies that have messed up power distribution (ie Not enough power on the 12V). You could very well be working with one of those. Or it may have enough power, though the components could be of such poor quality (ie Bad rail) the supply might be worth replacing anyhow.

Either way, if it turns out the old card works fine in the system and you can still exchange the 460, do it. Then I would strongly advise you work on getting a Corsair 650TX at a minimum. Otherwise, you don't know how long it will take before your PSU starts to cause your other components to fail. It's a real gamble with the generics.