Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I just building a PC for a friend, but I can not boot it to bios..!!! 8O
I put together an ASUS P4PE-800 Deluxe a presscot 3.2ghz 1GB PC3200 and a 6800GT.
When I press the power botton the computer start but the monitor show nothing.
The problem is not from the graphic card cause I tried it on an other computer and was working fine, as well as the memory too..
The Motherboard looks that works too, the light indicator is on and I can power on and off from the case bottons.
What I really don't know is about the CPU, I took off the CPU and looks good (all pins are straight). I also reallize that gets worm too.
I need to find out more ways to test motherboard failure with out monitor.. :(
BTW I can't test the CPU on the other computer cause it is AMD :?
Any help or ideas are welcome
Thanks

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I would say it might be a non connected plug to the motherboard from case or a faulty Power Supply.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I just building a PC for a friend, but I can not boot it to bios..!!! 8O
I put together an ASUS P4PE-800 Deluxe a presscot 3.2ghz 1GB PC3200 and a 6800GT.
When I press the power botton the computer start but the monitor show nothing.
The problem is not from the graphic card cause I tried it on an other computer and was working fine, as well as the memory too..
The Motherboard looks that works too, the light indicator is on and I can power on and off from the case bottons.
What I really don't know is about the CPU, I took off the CPU and looks good (all pins are straight). I also reallize that gets worm too.
I need to find out more ways to test motherboard failure with out monitor.. :(
BTW I can't test the CPU on the other computer cause it is AMD :?
Any help or ideas are welcome
Thanks

1) Make sure the motherboard is not being shorted out by an improperly placed standoff (the gold things the motherboard sits on so it can be screwed in).
2) Does the PSU have enough juice to power the system? Should be atl east 350W.. 450+ is perferred.
3) Make sure the auxillary power connecter on the 6800 is plugged into a molex power connector straight from the PSU (not one using a Y-plug)
4) Remove the RAM and power the system see if it will beep at you(no RAM should give you a series of long beeps). If the system does not even do this- the problem is my experience is #1 or #2.
IF it does beep:
1) Try different RAM
2) Try another CPU
3) Try another PSU

Hope this helps.
-Duck

Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks guys for your replys
Unfortunatly Shadowduck was right... :(
My motherboard was shorted by not only one but three standoffs.
I removed them but the motherboard still not working, at least now I know what to replace :wink:

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Thanks guys for your replys
Unfortunatly Shadowduck was right... :(
My motherboard was shorted by not only one but three standoffs.
I removed them but the motherboard still not working, at least now I know what to replace :wink:

Not all is lost, I have recovered from a motherboard that was shorted with inpromperly installed standoffs. Try booting the system with the motherboard completely out of the case (if you have a big piece of foam to set the mobo on that works nicely). Boot the system by using the head on a flat screwdriver to touch the 2 pins that would usually have the power button connector plugged into it . (You wont hurt anything bydoing it- it only takes a light touch of both of them and the system will power). After I got it booted that way, and reinstalled it into the case (Resetting the CMOS never hurts if it wont boot) it works perferctly.

--Duck

Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I did what you said but no luck.
Big damage I guess. Now that I remember :roll: at my first try to boot the board when it was shorted a smell came out of the case 8O 8O :?
You think that could be BBQ??? :wink:
I am pretty sure that board is done.. :cry: but as I said it is only $60 damage, it could be the CPU or the GPU the I would be really madsad :evil: :(
Thank you again Duck ..

Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
As I said thank god was the the motherboard and nothing like CPU or GPU.!!
I replaced it and averythink was fine..
But I agree with you. bad standoffs bad

doglips

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
HEY...HOW MANY STANDOFF SHOULD THERE BE???? AND WERE??? BUILDIN MY FIRST!!!!!! HELP ME NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE...
MSI K7N2 DELTA2 PLATINUM
DOGLIPS

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
HEY...HOW MANY STANDOFF SHOULD THERE BE???? AND WERE??? BUILDIN MY FIRST!!!!!! HELP ME NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE...
MSI K7N2 DELTA2 PLATINUM
DOGLIPS

There are 6-9 depending on the motherboard.. make sure wherever you place a standoff you can see it through one of the silver holes on the motherboard and you will be fine.