Worldwide Terrain

As a Galaxy member I have just downloaded Justin's new Worldwide terrain. I
am not sure quite what it does yet, but it must do some good as its FS
Genesis. If, like me you don't have to pay extra for it, I suggest you have
a go - it's BIG though

store@fsgenesis.com;

--
Cheers,

Quilly

An individual reply goes into my spam filter

GREGORY

On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:50:30 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

>As a Galaxy member I have just downloaded Justin's new Worldwide terrain. I
>am not sure quite what it does yet, but it must do some good as its FS
>Genesis. If, like me you don't have to pay extra for it, I suggest you have
>a go - it's BIG though
>
>store@fsgenesis.com;

The intro-email came in from FSGenesis store.. it says `buffer mesh'..
and now I'm wondering what graphics resources are required to view
mesh out to the horizon? Surely it must be a good product.. hopefully
someone could describe `buffer mesh' and what CFG parameters can
be used to vary it's effect.

Here's the CFG section.. please comment.. and if the setting are a
joke by todays standards... state that as well.

[TERRAIN]

TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=8.60
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
//8 = 256x256
//7 = 128x128
//6 = 64x64

TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=1
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=2.50
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS= 5.85
// 6.5 // 5.65 // 6.0 // 5.0 // 4.00

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21
//18 = 150m DEM
//19 = 75m DEM
//20 = 37m DEM
//21 = 19m DEM

Even with `hardware challenged' platform.. still enjoy lots of Simming
over some really impressive terrains!! {emphesis added} :)

-Gregory

where is this?

--
From Adam Webb, Overlag
www.tacticalgamer.com

> As a Galaxy member I have just downloaded Justin's new Worldwide terrain.
> am not sure quite what it does yet, but it must do some good as its FS
> Genesis. If, like me you don't have to pay extra for it, I suggest you
have
> a go - it's BIG though
>
> store@fsgenesis.com;
>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly
>

> An individual reply goes into my spam filter

HI Gregory,

Let's see if I can explain it simply.

As LOD gets higher, the effective range gets lower. That is, the more
detailed terrain is, the more limited is its visual range. Conversely, the
less detailed the terrain, the greater its effective range.

Imagine concentric circles out from your location. Each circle represents
the range of descending LOD values, the highest of which is the most inner
circle.

Essentially, the Worldwide LOD4, 5, 6 will address the display of terrain
beyond the range of the higher-resolution terrain by improving the more
distant terrain, especially from higher altitudes. It will also help
diminish the "blue slivers" sometimes seen in the distance at the boundary
between the higher-resolution terrain and the default terrain.

Hope this helps

Justin

"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:50:30 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
> <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
> attention:
>
>>As a Galaxy member I have just downloaded Justin's new Worldwide terrain.
>>am not sure quite what it does yet, but it must do some good as its FS
>>Genesis. If, like me you don't have to pay extra for it, I suggest you
>>have
>>a go - it's BIG though
>>
>>store@fsgenesis.com;
>
> The intro-email came in from FSGenesis store.. it says `buffer mesh'..
> and now I'm wondering what graphics resources are required to view
> mesh out to the horizon? Surely it must be a good product.. hopefully
> someone could describe `buffer mesh' and what CFG parameters can
> be used to vary it's effect.
>
> Here's the CFG section.. please comment.. and if the setting are a
> joke by todays standards... state that as well.
>
> [TERRAIN]
>
> TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=8.60
> TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
> //8 = 256x256
> //7 = 128x128
> //6 = 64x64
>
> TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=1
> TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
> TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=2.50
> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS= 5.85
> // 6.5 // 5.65 // 6.0 // 5.0 // 4.00
>
> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1
> TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21
> //18 = 150m DEM
> //19 = 75m DEM
> //20 = 37m DEM
> //21 = 19m DEM
>

> Even with `hardware challenged' platform.. still enjoy lots of Simming
> over some really impressive terrains!! {emphesis added} :)
>

> -Gregory

Arthur

Huh???

Arthur <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote:

> Huh???

Seemed like a pretty straight forward explanation to me. What didn't you
understand? Everything?

--
Peter

Arthur

Sorry. LOD is not straight forward. Probably if it was written out fully,
I may have gotten the drift of the post. I've said this before and will say
it again - If you want *everyone* to gain from your explanation, as I'm sure
Justin did, you write out abbreviations which MAY be obscure to some. I
understood some of the explanation.....sort of like understanding the
letters which are filled in on a crossword puzzle.

Arthur

"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Arthur <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> Huh???
>
> Seemed like a pretty straight forward explanation to me. What didn't you
> understand? Everything?
>
> --
> Peter

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

>Sorry. LOD is not straight forward. Probably if it was written out fully,
>I may have gotten the drift of the post. I've said this before and will say
>it again - If you want *everyone* to gain from your explanation, as I'm sure
>Justin did, you write out abbreviations which MAY be obscure to some. I
>understood some of the explanation.....sort of like understanding the
>letters which are filled in on a crossword puzzle.

We are so used to our own gobbledygook... :)

LOD stands for Level of detail, a great page to explain this and other
related things regarding mesh (outdated but still applies):
http://home.att.net/~mesh64/faq.html

===
Best Regards
Katy

GREGORY

On Sat, 21 May 2005 00:34:04 GMT, "FSGenesis"
<justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> brought the following fore:

>HI Gregory,
>
>Let's see if I can explain it simply.
>
>As LOD gets higher, the effective range gets lower. That is, the more
>detailed terrain is, the more limited is its visual range. Conversely, the
>less detailed the terrain, the greater its effective range.
>
>Imagine concentric circles out from your location. Each circle represents
>the range of descending LOD values, the highest of which is the most inner
>circle.
>
>Essentially, the Worldwide LOD4, 5, 6 will address the display of terrain
>beyond the range of the higher-resolution terrain by improving the more
>distant terrain, especially from higher altitudes. It will also help
>diminish the "blue slivers" sometimes seen in the distance at the boundary
>between the higher-resolution terrain and the default terrain.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Justin

thanks Justin.. hope someone will comment on typical or extreme values
for Terrain: DEFAULT_RADIUS and EXTENDED_RADIUS.

In my case.. the Default_Rad must be kept at 2.50 or else the ground
appears to split in the near-field (low angles like 45-deg).. or else
it looks like cracks in the textures.. even the bitmap edges are
`pealing up' from the surface.

As for the Extended_Rad.. that seems to effect framerate. I've never
experienced any `slivers' as you describe.. unless it's the near-field
effect as described.

-Gregory

>"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:50:30 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
>> <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
>> attention:
>>
>>>As a Galaxy member I have just downloaded Justin's new Worldwide terrain.
>>>I am not sure quite what it does yet, but it must do some good as its FS
>>>Genesis. If, like me you don't have to pay extra for it, I suggest you
>>>have a go - it's BIG though
>>>
>>>store@fsgenesis.com;
>>
>> The intro-email came in from FSGenesis store.. it says `buffer mesh'..
>> and now I'm wondering what graphics resources are required to view
>> mesh out to the horizon? Surely it must be a good product.. hopefully
>> someone could describe `buffer mesh' and what CFG parameters can
>> be used to vary it's effect.
>>
>> Here's the CFG section.. please comment.. and if the setting are a
>> joke by todays standards... state that as well.
>>
>> [TERRAIN]
>>
>> TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=8.60
>> TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
>> //8 = 256x256
>> //7 = 128x128
>> //6 = 64x64
>>
>> TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=1
>> TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
>> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
>> TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=2.50
>> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS= 5.85
>> // 6.5 // 5.65 // 6.0 // 5.0 // 4.00
>>
>> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1
>> TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21
>> //18 = 150m DEM
>> //19 = 75m DEM
>> //20 = 37m DEM
>> //21 = 19m DEM
>>

>> Even with `hardware challenged' platform.. still enjoy lots of Simming
>> over some really impressive terrains!! {emphesis added} :)
>>

>> -Gregory

GREGORY

On Sat, 21 May 2005 00:09:52 -0400, "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Sorry. LOD is not straight forward. Probably if it was written out fully,
>I may have gotten the drift of the post. I've said this before and will say
>it again - If you want *everyone* to gain from your explanation, as I'm sure
>Justin did, you write out abbreviations which MAY be obscure to some. I
>understood some of the explanation.....sort of like understanding the
>letters which are filled in on a crossword puzzle.
>
>Arthur

don't worry Arthur.. it happens a lot to everyone.. some of the techie
emails that come in aren't easy to decipher. Sometimes it's helpful to
use parenthesis.. such as when one describes how they've closely
matched FF (fuel flow) to the FM (flight manual) using the SS
(spreadsheet) model. :)

-Gregory

btw.. Cisco would hand out an acronym sheet at their seminars.

>"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Arthur <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Huh???
>>
>> Seemed like a pretty straight forward explanation to me. What didn't you
>> understand? Everything?
>>
>> --
>> Peter

HI Gregory,

The default values should be

DEFAULT_RADIUS = 2.5
EXTENDED_RADIUS = 4.0

I have mine set a 5 and 8, which seems to work pretty well for me. I've
seen others that have DR larger than the ER, but that doesn't seem to make
sense to me, and will probably cause odd visual anomalies, such as more
severe "slivering" effects in the distance.

> [...]
>>> joke by todays standards... state that as well.
>>>
>>> [TERRAIN]
>>>
>>> TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=8.60
>>> TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
>>> //8 = 256x256
>>> //7 = 128x128
>>> //6 = 64x64
>>>
>>> TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=1
>>> TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
>>> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
>>> TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=2.50
>>> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS= 5.85
>>> // 6.5 // 5.65 // 6.0 // 5.0 // 4.00
>>>
>>> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1
>>> TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21
>>> //18 = 150m DEM
>>> //19 = 75m DEM
>>> //20 = 37m DEM
>>> //21 = 19m DEM
>>>

>>> Even with `hardware challenged' platform.. still enjoy lots of Simming
>>> over some really impressive terrains!! {emphesis added} :)

GREGORY

On Sat, 21 May 2005 18:05:49 GMT, "FSGenesis"
<justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> brought the following to our
attention:

>HI Gregory,
>
>The default values should be
>
>DEFAULT_RADIUS = 2.5
>EXTENDED_RADIUS = 4.0
>
>I have mine set a 5 and 8, which seems to work pretty well for me. I've
>seen others that have DR larger than the ER, but that doesn't seem to make
>sense to me, and will probably cause odd visual anomalies, such as more
>severe "slivering" effects in the distance.
>
>Justin

More good info.. thanks. Another couple of minor items.. what does
the AUTO_LOD switch do in the CFG?

[GRAPHICS]
AUTO_LOD=0

and what do other Simmers have set for:

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=8.60

the above factor being Terrain Mesh Complexity slider setting of 60%.
Have moved it up to 70% just now.

-G

TRENDING THREADS