Worldwide Terrain

As a Galaxy member I have just downloaded Justin's new Worldwide terrain. I
am not sure quite what it does yet, but it must do some good as its FS
Genesis. If, like me you don't have to pay extra for it, I suggest you have
a go - it's BIG though

store@fsgenesis.com;

--
Cheers,

Quilly

An individual reply goes into my spam filter
11 answers Last reply
More about worldwide terrain

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:50:30 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >As a Galaxy member I have just downloaded Justin's new Worldwide terrain. I
    >am not sure quite what it does yet, but it must do some good as its FS
    >Genesis. If, like me you don't have to pay extra for it, I suggest you have
    >a go - it's BIG though
    >
    >store@fsgenesis.com;

    The intro-email came in from FSGenesis store.. it says `buffer mesh'..
    and now I'm wondering what graphics resources are required to view
    mesh out to the horizon? Surely it must be a good product.. hopefully
    someone could describe `buffer mesh' and what CFG parameters can
    be used to vary it's effect.

    Here's the CFG section.. please comment.. and if the setting are a
    joke by todays standards... state that as well.

    [TERRAIN]

    TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=8.60
    TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
    //8 = 256x256
    //7 = 128x128
    //6 = 64x64

    TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=1
    TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
    TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
    TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=2.50
    TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS= 5.85
    // 6.5 // 5.65 // 6.0 // 5.0 // 4.00

    TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1
    TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21
    //18 = 150m DEM
    //19 = 75m DEM
    //20 = 37m DEM
    //21 = 19m DEM

    Even with `hardware challenged' platform.. still enjoy lots of Simming
    over some really impressive terrains!! {emphesis added} :)

    -Gregory

    where is this?

    --
    From Adam Webb, Overlag
    www.tacticalgamer.com

    > As a Galaxy member I have just downloaded Justin's new Worldwide terrain.
    > am not sure quite what it does yet, but it must do some good as its FS
    > Genesis. If, like me you don't have to pay extra for it, I suggest you
    have
    > a go - it's BIG though
    >
    > store@fsgenesis.com;
    >

    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Quilly
    >

    > An individual reply goes into my spam filter

    HI Gregory,

    Let's see if I can explain it simply.

    As LOD gets higher, the effective range gets lower. That is, the more
    detailed terrain is, the more limited is its visual range. Conversely, the
    less detailed the terrain, the greater its effective range.

    Imagine concentric circles out from your location. Each circle represents
    the range of descending LOD values, the highest of which is the most inner
    circle.

    Essentially, the Worldwide LOD4, 5, 6 will address the display of terrain
    beyond the range of the higher-resolution terrain by improving the more
    distant terrain, especially from higher altitudes. It will also help
    diminish the "blue slivers" sometimes seen in the distance at the boundary
    between the higher-resolution terrain and the default terrain.

    Hope this helps

    Justin

    "Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:50:30 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    > <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
    > attention:
    >
    >>As a Galaxy member I have just downloaded Justin's new Worldwide terrain.
    >>am not sure quite what it does yet, but it must do some good as its FS
    >>Genesis. If, like me you don't have to pay extra for it, I suggest you
    >>have
    >>a go - it's BIG though
    >>
    >>store@fsgenesis.com;
    >
    > The intro-email came in from FSGenesis store.. it says `buffer mesh'..
    > and now I'm wondering what graphics resources are required to view
    > mesh out to the horizon? Surely it must be a good product.. hopefully
    > someone could describe `buffer mesh' and what CFG parameters can
    > be used to vary it's effect.
    >
    > Here's the CFG section.. please comment.. and if the setting are a
    > joke by todays standards... state that as well.
    >
    > [TERRAIN]
    >
    > TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=8.60
    > TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
    > //8 = 256x256
    > //7 = 128x128
    > //6 = 64x64
    >
    > TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=1
    > TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
    > TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
    > TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=2.50
    > TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS= 5.85
    > // 6.5 // 5.65 // 6.0 // 5.0 // 4.00
    >
    > TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1
    > TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21
    > //18 = 150m DEM
    > //19 = 75m DEM
    > //20 = 37m DEM
    > //21 = 19m DEM
    >

    > Even with `hardware challenged' platform.. still enjoy lots of Simming
    > over some really impressive terrains!! {emphesis added} :)
    >

    > -Gregory

    Huh???

    Arthur <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote:

    > Huh???

    Seemed like a pretty straight forward explanation to me. What didn't you
    understand? Everything?

    --
    Peter

    Sorry. LOD is not straight forward. Probably if it was written out fully,
    I may have gotten the drift of the post. I've said this before and will say
    it again - If you want *everyone* to gain from your explanation, as I'm sure
    Justin did, you write out abbreviations which MAY be obscure to some. I
    understood some of the explanation.....sort of like understanding the
    letters which are filled in on a crossword puzzle.

    Arthur

    "Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Arthur <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Huh???
    >
    > Seemed like a pretty straight forward explanation to me. What didn't you
    > understand? Everything?
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----

    >Sorry. LOD is not straight forward. Probably if it was written out fully,
    >I may have gotten the drift of the post. I've said this before and will say
    >it again - If you want *everyone* to gain from your explanation, as I'm sure
    >Justin did, you write out abbreviations which MAY be obscure to some. I
    >understood some of the explanation.....sort of like understanding the
    >letters which are filled in on a crossword puzzle.

    We are so used to our own gobbledygook... :-)

    LOD stands for Level of detail, a great page to explain this and other
    related things regarding mesh (outdated but still applies):
    http://home.att.net/~mesh64/faq.html

    ===
    Best Regards
    Katy

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 00:34:04 GMT, "FSGenesis"
    <justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> brought the following fore:

    >HI Gregory,
    >
    >Let's see if I can explain it simply.
    >
    >As LOD gets higher, the effective range gets lower. That is, the more
    >detailed terrain is, the more limited is its visual range. Conversely, the
    >less detailed the terrain, the greater its effective range.
    >
    >Imagine concentric circles out from your location. Each circle represents
    >the range of descending LOD values, the highest of which is the most inner
    >circle.
    >
    >Essentially, the Worldwide LOD4, 5, 6 will address the display of terrain
    >beyond the range of the higher-resolution terrain by improving the more
    >distant terrain, especially from higher altitudes. It will also help
    >diminish the "blue slivers" sometimes seen in the distance at the boundary
    >between the higher-resolution terrain and the default terrain.
    >
    >Hope this helps
    >
    >Justin

    thanks Justin.. hope someone will comment on typical or extreme values
    for Terrain: DEFAULT_RADIUS and EXTENDED_RADIUS.

    In my case.. the Default_Rad must be kept at 2.50 or else the ground
    appears to split in the near-field (low angles like 45-deg).. or else
    it looks like cracks in the textures.. even the bitmap edges are
    `pealing up' from the surface.

    As for the Extended_Rad.. that seems to effect framerate. I've never
    experienced any `slivers' as you describe.. unless it's the near-field
    effect as described.

    -Gregory

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 00:09:52 -0400, "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com>
    brought the following to our attention:

    >Sorry. LOD is not straight forward. Probably if it was written out fully,
    >I may have gotten the drift of the post. I've said this before and will say
    >it again - If you want *everyone* to gain from your explanation, as I'm sure
    >Justin did, you write out abbreviations which MAY be obscure to some. I
    >understood some of the explanation.....sort of like understanding the
    >letters which are filled in on a crossword puzzle.
    >
    >Arthur

    don't worry Arthur.. it happens a lot to everyone.. some of the techie
    emails that come in aren't easy to decipher. Sometimes it's helpful to
    use parenthesis.. such as when one describes how they've closely
    matched FF (fuel flow) to the FM (flight manual) using the SS
    (spreadsheet) model. :)

    -Gregory

    btw.. Cisco would hand out an acronym sheet at their seminars.

    >"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Arthur <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Huh???
    >>
    >> Seemed like a pretty straight forward explanation to me. What didn't you
    >> understand? Everything?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    HI Gregory,

    The default values should be

    DEFAULT_RADIUS = 2.5
    EXTENDED_RADIUS = 4.0

    I have mine set a 5 and 8, which seems to work pretty well for me. I've
    seen others that have DR larger than the ER, but that doesn't seem to make
    sense to me, and will probably cause odd visual anomalies, such as more
    severe "slivering" effects in the distance.

> [...]
    >>> joke by todays standards... state that as well.
    >>>
    >>> [TERRAIN]
    >>>
    >>> TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=8.60
    >>> TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
    >>> //8 = 256x256
    >>> //7 = 128x128
    >>> //6 = 64x64
    >>>
    >>> TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=1
    >>> TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
    >>> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
    >>> TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=2.50
    >>> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS= 5.85
    >>> // 6.5 // 5.65 // 6.0 // 5.0 // 4.00
    >>>
    >>> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1
    >>> TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21
    >>> //18 = 150m DEM
    >>> //19 = 75m DEM
    >>> //20 = 37m DEM
    >>> //21 = 19m DEM
    >>>

    >>> Even with `hardware challenged' platform.. still enjoy lots of Simming
    >>> over some really impressive terrains!! {emphesis added} :)

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 18:05:49 GMT, "FSGenesis"
    <justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >HI Gregory,
    >
    >The default values should be
    >
    >DEFAULT_RADIUS = 2.5
    >EXTENDED_RADIUS = 4.0
    >
    >I have mine set a 5 and 8, which seems to work pretty well for me. I've
    >seen others that have DR larger than the ER, but that doesn't seem to make
    >sense to me, and will probably cause odd visual anomalies, such as more
    >severe "slivering" effects in the distance.
    >
    >Justin

    More good info.. thanks. Another couple of minor items.. what does
    the AUTO_LOD switch do in the CFG?

    [GRAPHICS]
    AUTO_LOD=0

    and what do other Simmers have set for:

    [TERRAIN]
    TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=8.60

    the above factor being Terrain Mesh Complexity slider setting of 60%.
    Have moved it up to 70% just now.

    -G

Games Spam Filter Microsoft Video Games