Okay, now I need help from the experts!!!

Machine_Code

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Work is finally out for the week and I had a chance this morning to look into why my new system won't post. Here's the old thread.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/box-1000-ftopict176950.html

It looks like I have a bad memory controller. The manual indicates that one stick of RAM should be placed in slot A_1, while the other stick should be placed into slot B_1. Everytime a stick is placed in A_1, even when just one stick only is inserted, it will not post and I get a beep code.

What I have done is placed a stick into slot A_2 and B_2. This allows me to boot into BIOS fine, shows that the system is running in Dual Channel mode, and shows the full gigabyte of memory is installed.

Here's the question. Will running these RAM modules in these slots affect performace or cause and unwnted headaches in the future? What's your best guess? My guess is that it should be fine, and I'm willing to leave it like that.

I paid for a working motherboard and didn't recieve one. The smart answer would be to send this back to Asus for a replacement, but from what I've heard, there customer service is a nightmare. I never planned to upgrade the RAM beyond one gig anyhow, and besides, I'm impatient. :?

So back to my question. This should run basically the same as if they were inserted into sockets A_1 and B_1 right?
Thanks!!

-Ryan

Most NF4 boards (if that's what you finally got) can and should be able to run dual channel config in either config you mentioned, but if you were not planning on running more than 2 sticks, you should be ok, and have found an efective , albeit slightly annoying workaround...

(Most users even with 2 gb are only runing two sticks anyway, so you still have an uprade mem path)

Machine_Code

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Thanks man. That's good to hear at least. I also just spoke with a friend online that's pretty sharp, and he agreed that it should be fine.

albeit slightly annoying workaround.
Definately! I'm not exactly thrilled about it right now.. Going with 2x 1GB in the future, completely skipped my mind for some reason though. I'm glad you brought that up because that helps finalize my decision.

Onto OS installation I guess. I just hope there's no more surprises heading my way.