Sign in with
Your question

Need to reset ESCD on every boot

Last response: in Motherboards
March 4, 2006 2:41:01 PM

Hi,

I have a Tyan trinity KT v 1.06 MOBO with Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG.

It has an Athlon 1200 MHz CPU.

I know it's old (2000 vintage) and I hope to build a new system soon, but I will probably still use this computer for home automation, so I would like to fix my problem...

I installed an Airnet USB 2.0 PCI card (the motherboard only has USB 1).

Everytime I tried to communicate with a USB device connected to it, my system would just freeze. Sometimes it would begin responding again after waiting a few minutes.

I went through some troubleshooting (disabled on-board USB, removed all PCI cards and tried the USB card in different slots, gradually reinstalled all cards...) During this process I eventually learned that reseting the ESCD data before every boot made everything work fine. I further found out that I could restart (ie, no power down) and still be fine, but everytime I booted after a power down, I would need to go in and manually enable ESCD reset.

(when everything is working fine, windows recognizes an enhanced USB controller, but does not when the card isn't working right -there are still USB controllers recognized, just not the enhanced (USB 2.0 I assume).

This is a PITA and I would love to find a solution.

Thanks for any help.

More about : reset escd boot

March 4, 2006 3:43:14 PM

Sounds like a share conflict.
check these settings in the BIOS;
Force Updating ESCD
If enabled, the ESCD area in Upper Memory (for PnP information concerning IRQ, DMA, I/O and memory) will be updated once, then this setting will be disabled automatically for the next boot.

Reset Configuration Data
Normally, leave disabled, which retains PnP data in the BIOS. Selecting Yes causes the system to clear itself and automatically configure all PnP devices at boot up.
March 5, 2006 12:30:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

My Bios, under "PnP/PCI Configurations" has these options:

PNP OS Installed Yes/No
Reset Configuration Data Enabled/Disabled

Resources Controlled by Auto(ESCD) / Manual
If manual: IRQ Resources Press Enter
DMA Resource Press Enter
(for Each IRQ and DMA there is the choice of PCI/ISA PNP or Legacy ISA)

PCI/VGA Palette Snoop Enabled/Disabled
Assign IRQ For VGA Enabled/Disabled
Assign IRQ For USB Enabled/Disabled

Regardless of these settings, if I enable Reset Configuration Data, everything works fine (and the setting automatically returns to Disabled).

If I boot from powered down state and don't re-enable Reset Configuration Data, it freezes up on USB activity.

Actually, now that I think about it, my USB 1.1 wireless adapter works fine in any state. The failures occur for my removable drives, bluetooth adapter and printer. Since the printer is USB 1.1, I can't say that only USB 2.0 devices cause the freeze.

I have also checked power requirements for the devices and I don't seem to be overloading anything.

Other BIOS options related to PCI, under Advanced Chipset Features:

CPU to PCI Write Buffer -Enabled
PCI Dynamic Bursting -Enabled
PCI Master 0 WS Write -Enabled
PCI Delay Transaction -Enabled
PCI#2 Access #1 Retry -Enabled

Tom
!