Toshiba junk laptop and the unrepentant company

labagiu_imputit

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I bought a Toshiba laptop to take away to first year of university, 250 km away from home.
I came home for a 1 week intercession, started studying and using the Toshiba and the hard drive burnt out. The laptop was 11 months old and cost $2,500 approx.
I took it to the Toshiba warranty shop and was told to call the next day so I could pick it up.I called for 5 days straight, same answer: "tomorrow"
Finally,a "supervisor" told me "no hard drives in stock, all on back order, no ETA"
I was going to fail the university courses , as term papers were due the following week.
The first independent repair shop I went to, got me an installed original Toshiba Hard Drive in 1 day.
I was told that it is a very well known scam of Toshiba , whereby "in warranty " work is denied so that Toshiba can sell you a new drive.
Tallying up the week lost, the new "out of warranty" drive, the transportation back and forth to pick up all software belonging to the College Intranet Network and configuration software, the labour to re-install all and the time constraints of having to hand in term papers and not being able to have a laptop to prepare or retrieve data , my cost was over $ 3,500.
The icing on the cake came when internet searches revealed this Toshiba to have a factory installed defective drive that was hidden from me but was acknowledged on the Toshiba site. So, the company knew and still hang me out to dry.A further net search revealed a $2.1 billion class action lawsuit already "settled' by Toshiba in the US "for selling defective laptops"(ZD Net) Plus, naturally, hundreds of letters of complaints and outright hatred from duped consumers, such as I.

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Welcome to the school of hard knocks, it hurts doesn’t it? I hope you find a way to be satisfied! Through experience or as a lesson of sorts also, I hope the injury heals. May you succeed at school and its variable lessons.

labagiu_imputit

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
If more people would be paying attention, an evil company like Toshiba would have to change, as their business would dip.
Most people do not do their research, however.
Thus, such a destiny becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
Even now, i had a goof. who claims to be a friend of mine , buy a Toshiba laptop.
I hope he gets his just dessserts

labagiu_imputit

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

labagiu_imputit

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Well, the large law suits vindicated me somehow.
People who do not do their research desrve to suffer, however - sorry to say this.
How about a simple www check - Toshiba Laptop bad computer - you see it all!
Hundreds of duped clients cannot be wrong!