HELP!!! Overclocking Pentium D 805

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
I have just built a new system with an EVGA 133-P4-NF51-XX, and an Intel Pentium D 805, 533 FSB.

I just bumped up the FSB by 10%, which put it at 586, and now, (In windows system properties), one core is showing 2.93Ghz....

I don't understand why only one core is showing the increase, (in Windows System Properties.... Anybody know?

One core is showing 2.66Ghz, the other 2.93Ghz... Or am I misinterpreting this?

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Ok :) I think I figured it out. In windows system properties, when it lists the system specs, it is showing the processor name (description) on the first line... which is "Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz", then, on the next line it is showing the actual current clock speed, "2.93 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM"

:lol:

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Not sure if you realize it but you got lucky with that board even working with a 533FSB CPU. According to eVGA's website it only supports 800/1066! Is it stable?

Not sure if you realize it but you got lucky with that board even working with a 533FSB CPU. According to eVGA's website it only supports 800/1066! Is it stable?

Ofcource it will work, it would just set the northbridge speed lower and ofcourse it will be stable - its running the northbridge at 1/2 its max speed, when they list "support FSB800/1066" they mean everything INCLUDING that.

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I agree, but that will depend on the CPU. Personally, I would of chosen the Asus SLI board instead and it does support 533FSB CPU's. Asus usually OC pretty well too. I can't even find a review for the eVGA board he's using which leaves me to wonder why use it? It even costs more than an Asus.....

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
That just seems like a big assumption without any documentation to support it. It also makes no sense why eVGA would NOT list a 533FSB in the specs as there are P4's & Celeron D's that use that FSB. I hardly believe it can or should be assumed that everything LGA775 will just work.

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
It appears I have somehow offended your pseudo guru sensibilities, hence the CAP LOCKS or perhaps the keyboard just got stuck?? :lol:
When it comes to FSB's, if you wish to ASSUME such things, knock yourself out sport. :wink:

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
Well it should be able to run slower then the rated specs, but the lucky part is BIOS support for the CPU. I seems like Intel is selling extra Pentium D cores cheap, with a slower bus. If you could get those back to 200(or 800) it would be a great deal for $150.

4ghz!

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I agree with you 100%. After reviewing my original post I realized the same thing. It's really a case of bios support for anything under 800FSB and not so much a case of stability. The real qustion here is, is the 805 fully functional or is it a crippled/defective FSB 820 and can it be OC'ed successfully to an 800FSB? If it can be OC'ed close too, and/or beyond 800FSB, it will be the best bang for the buck right now from anyone and virtually required for any budget build, IMHO.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Well it should be able to run slower then the rated specs, but the lucky part is BIOS support for the CPU. I seems like Intel is selling extra Pentium D cores cheap, with a slower bus. If you could get those back to 200(or 800) it would be a great deal for $150.

4ghz!

How ultimate would a 53% overclock be?? do you know of any good phase change coolers?

the FSB/communication section of the cpu is not crippled, they just sell the chip at a slower speed and slower fsb, just like the prescott 2800 with fsb533 (the cpu might not reach the initial 2800/800 at there selected vcore so they lower the speeds like an underclock so it does).

They might also sell it like that cause if AMD wants to match they will loose money.

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Apache Lives :
the FSB/communication section of the cpu is not crippled, they just sell the chip at a slower speed and slower fsb, just like the prescott 2800 with fsb533 (the cpu might not reach the initial 2800/800 at there selected vcore so they lower the speeds like an underclock so it does).

I agree :)

Hey what kind of can of worms did I open here??? HA HA :lol:

Alright, I hope we all can get along here...

Check this out... Here are all 3 of my systems :)

SYSTEM I

Aspire XPlorer
A8N-SLI Premium
550W Black Beauty PS
AMD64 X2 4400+ w/Zalman Cooler
3 GB Corsair XMS
250GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA II
EVGA 6800GS CO SE
SBAudigy
Terminator TV/FM Card (for Jazz radio)
Olevia 26" Widescreen
Logitech Mx Laser Mouse w/Thermaltake Lighted Gaming Pad
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard/Thrustmaster Game Controller
NEC DL DVDRW
Memorex DVDRW
80GB Seagate Ext. Hard Drive
30GB Apple iPod Video
Windows XP SP2 (updated)

SYSTEM II

Aspire XCruiser
Gigabyte K8N PRO SLI
550W PS
AMD64 3200+ w/Zalman Cooler
1GB Patriot RAM
250GB WD ATA
Chaintech GeForce 6200TC
Samsung 910MP TV Monitor
Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
NEC DL DVDRW
BenQ DVD DL
Windows XP SP2 (updated)

SYSTEM III

Coolermaster Black Cavalier 4 (CAV-TO4)
Evga 133-P4-NF51-AX
350W Stock PS
Intel Pentium D 805 w/Stock HTSink-Fan
1GB Geil DDRII 533 4-4-4-12
80GB Hitachi DS SATAII
Chaintech GeForce 6200TC
Lite-On DVD DL
Windows XP SP2 (updated)

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Now I may be getting a bit carried away, but I love building computers! :)

I wanted to compare the Pentium D with my AMD X2. Now I know it is really not a "TRUE" comparison by many factors, (I wanted the 2.8 Pent D however I really had to watch spending, ($220, or $150???) but then it would have an 800Mhz FSB to compare with my X2, still it can be compared in some respect) And, since Evga had a good deal on a 6800GS OC SE/Evga P4 MB COMBO... I couldn't resist. I actually only payed $80 for the board... And I am impressed with it! It has some very nice physical features and the BIOS is very extensive!

I hate to say it, but I have had a lot of trouble with System I, and I think most of it is directly related to the ASUS board. I actually paid $175 for it. I won't go into great detail, but I have an occasional lock up on that system, that I do not experience with any other computer I own. I also have 2 Laptops and my roommate has a dell desktop, my girlfriend has a Compaq desktop, (I forgive her everyday) :), and I have never had one lock up like that ASUS board. I have switched processors with my Gigabyte board even just to test, and I have noticed there seems to be some kind of instability sometimes .

Now one thing I noticed... Getting back to the PENTIUM D. (I have only had it for 2 days so far),

I put NFS Hot Pursuit 2 on both My X2 system and my Pentium D system, and during take off's, my X2 system is much faster loading.

I am very impressed so far with the Pentium D's performance, and who would have ever thought I could OC it to 2.93Ghz by increasing the FSB by only 10%. Or am I just crazy???

I cannot OC my ASUS board with the X2 more than 20% without errors, and even then I am not so sure it is totally foolproof :) And that is probably putting it mildly, because look who is operating it :p

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
Can you change the multiplyerfor 20 down to 14? I know most of the 6xx chips do (EIST.) With the 14x multipltyer you could do 200x14 for 2.8ghz. The 200+ FSB would realy help performance. With the 20x multiplyer you may have to raise the core voltage over 1.45 and water cool it. These may just be in the bottom bin because of the voltage need to run at 2.8GHz+.

I don't have a dual core yet, my first will be a conroe. I have both AMD and Intel single cores. If you compare my Intels to the Winchester they win. Hypertransport can't save it from the bad memory controler, a mess up AMD fans seem to have forgiven, or forgoten. Yet they can nit-pic Intel. My Venice is alot better than the Winchester, probably my best CPU. But it is close, and not at everything. A San Diago would be alittle better.

I have had more stability problems with the AMDs, mostly with my Asrock DualSATA2. That's why it has my winnie now. The Biostar Tforce6100-939 is quite good. Asus makes the best Intel mobos, but not the best AMD. It is nice to know I could just plug in a dual core in one of my 939 mobos. Intel makes you get a new mobo for just about every new CPU. But now it's all the same, AM2 or Conroe. Both need new mobos.

Read this, Yonah smokes a FX60.
The Yonah is on a small air cooler, the FX has a VapoChill. :lol:
Conroe is going to Rule as the King CPU very soon.

Can you change the multiplyerfor 20 down to 14? I know most of the 6xx chips do (EIST.) With the 14x multipltyer you could do 200x14 for 2.8ghz. The 200+ FSB would realy help performance. With the 20x multiplyer you may have to raise the core voltage over 1.45 and water cool it. These may just be in the bottom bin because of the voltage need to run at 2.8GHz+.

I don't have a dual core yet, my first will be a conroe. I have both AMD and Intel single cores. If you compare my Intels to the Winchester they win. Hypertransport can't save it from the bad memory controler, a mess up AMD fans seem to have forgiven, or forgoten. Yet they can nit-pic Intel. My Venice is alot better than the Winchester, probably my best CPU. But it is close, and not at everything. A San Diago would be alittle better.

I have had more stability problems with the AMDs, mostly with my Asrock DualSATA2. That's why it has my winnie now. The Biostar Tforce6100-939 is quite good. Asus makes the best Intel mobos, but not the best AMD. It is nice to know I could just plug in a dual core in one of my 939 mobos. Intel makes you get a new mobo for just about every new CPU. But now it's all the same, AM2 or Conroe. Both need new mobos.

Read this, Yonah smokes a FX60.
The Yonah is on a small air cooler, the FX has a VapoChill. :lol:
Conroe is going to Rule as the King CPU very soon.

hey same here - i's waitin for conroe for my first dual core (or amds answer)

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Understood and makes perfect sense. :wink:

Isn't it funny how roles have reversed where Intel is now the budget brand (dual core anyway), inferior underdog yet providing the most bang for the buck and taunting AMD (and their fanboys) with lower cost dual cores. Similar to the Athlon XP generation vs. the P4c's(800FSB & HT) where the AMD fanboys loved to try and compare when an XP's strength was only against first and second generation Northwoods, not P4c's. How times have changed and lets just hope Conroe isn't just hype like the PrescHots were. *sigh*

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Now I may be getting a bit carried away, but I love building computers! :)

I wanted to compare the Pentium D with my AMD X2. Now I know it is really not a "TRUE" comparison by many factors, (I wanted the 2.8 Pent D however I really had to watch spending, ($220, or $150???) but then it would have an 800Mhz FSB to compare with my X2, still it can be compared in some respect) And, since Evga had a good deal on a 6800GS OC SE/Evga P4 MB COMBO... I couldn't resist. I actually only payed $80 for the board... And I am impressed with it! It has some very nice physical features and the BIOS is very extensive!

I hate to say it, but I have had a lot of trouble with System I, and I think most of it is directly related to the ASUS board. I actually paid $175 for it. I won't go into great detail, but I have an occasional lock up on that system, that I do not experience with any other computer I own. I also have 2 Laptops and my roommate has a dell desktop, my girlfriend has a Compaq desktop, (I forgive her everyday) :), and I have never had one lock up like that ASUS board. I have switched processors with my Gigabyte board even just to test, and I have noticed there seems to be some kind of instability sometimes .

Now one thing I noticed... Getting back to the PENTIUM D. (I have only had it for 2 days so far),

I put NFS Hot Pursuit 2 on both My X2 system and my Pentium D system, and during take off's, my X2 system is much faster loading.

I am very impressed so far with the Pentium D's performance, and who would have ever thought I could OC it to 2.93Ghz by increasing the FSB by only 10%. Or am I just crazy???

I cannot OC my ASUS board with the X2 more than 20% without errors, and even then I am not so sure it is totally foolproof :) And that is probably putting it mildly, because look who is operating it :p

ASUS + AMD = PRESCOTT
this may be related :eek:

Isn't it funny how roles have reversed where Intel is now the budget brand (dual core anyway), inferior underdog yet providing the most bang for the buck and taunting AMD (and their fanboys) with lower cost dual cores. Similar to the Athlon XP generation vs. the P4c's(800FSB & HT) where the AMD fanboys loved to try and compare when an XP's strength was only against first and second generation Northwoods, not P4c's. How times have changed and lets just hope Conroe isn't just hype like the PrescHots were. *sigh*

No P6 based CPU has let us down - every single one was both faster and colder then the last, its P4 that gave intel a poor name and all the hype and no gain, P4 was just a market grabber "oo look a 2ghz cpu, must be faster then amds 1.5ghz cpu"

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005

No P6 based CPU has let us down - every single one was both faster and colder then the last, its P4 that gave intel a poor name and all the hype and no gain, P4 was just a market grabber "oo look a 2ghz cpu, must be faster then amds 1.5ghz cpu"

i wouldn't go so far to say that. answer this would amd be as good as they are today without the pentium 4?

yeah true

P6 - amd always had something as quick but were hotter, mostly cheaper and they did beat intel to 1ghz, we didnt get let down as in each release was quicker and colder (more efficent) - no P6 cpu has ever seen 50w of heat throughout the 8 cores and at the same time the clock speed raised 8x and double the cores and still running strong.

ME = P6 FAN :D