Sign in with
Your question

OVER HEATING PLEASE HELP!!!

Last response: in Motherboards
March 4, 2006 6:07:31 PM

ok i have recently installed a water cooling system and it was working fine but now I see that my A8N 32-SLI Deluxe is overheating (I think) right now it is running between 50-51 C is that normal It seems to be a little bit high. and this is under just a idel process

More about : heating

March 4, 2006 7:17:01 PM

you still need some kind of air to move threw the case. did you remove all fans from the case? if so that might be the trouble. try getting silent type fans of good quality run them low you wont hear them to much
March 4, 2006 8:14:26 PM

Questions:
1) What Main Board?
2) What Water Cooling set up?
3) Any tight turns or kinks in your hoses? After a while sometimes a small bend will end up cutting water supply down drastically, thus raising the temps due to poor flow.
4) Did you put thermal compound between the CPU & Water Block?
5) Was the high temp noticed right away, or did it run cooler at first then suddenly get higher?
6) Is there anything else running on the water loop?
7) Did you ensure there was no air in the water loop?
8) The CPU should, but does not have to be, the first thing cooled from the pump.
9) Did you update BIOS, maybe the BIOS you have now is giving false temps. I have had this happen to me before.

After I get a better idea of what you have I will try to give you some more things to check.

Good Luck.
Related resources
March 4, 2006 9:51:41 PM

Quote:
Questions:
1) What Main Board?
2) What Water Cooling set up?
3) Any tight turns or kinks in your hoses? After a while sometimes a small bend will end up cutting water supply down drastically, thus raising the temps due to poor flow.
4) Did you put thermal compound between the CPU & Water Block?
5) Was the high temp noticed right away, or did it run cooler at first then suddenly get higher?
6) Is there anything else running on the water loop?
7) Did you ensure there was no air in the water loop?
8) The CPU should, but does not have to be, the first thing cooled from the pump.
9) Did you update BIOS, maybe the BIOS you have now is giving false temps. I have had this happen to me before.

After I get a better idea of what you have I will try to give you some more things to check.

Good Luck.

alright well,
my mainboard is the Asus Deluxe A8N 32 SLI
I am using the Zalman Reserator 1 Plus which is a fanlass watercooling system
There are some minor turns but nothing serious yes I did put the termal past between my CPU and the cooler and I also have the VGA card portion looped into the mix
There are no air bubbles in the system that i am aware of
Yes i did update the BIOS
March 5, 2006 12:02:26 AM

Were the temps fine prior to update of BIOS?

Is it possible you placed too much thermal?

Just for a try, if you can get to the cpu easily enough, try to place the stock cpu cooler back on and see the temps, or were they high also? Or do you remember what they were?

I, although a totaly different CPU all together, was running temps in that range also, but after placing the vapochill micro on it they dropped almost 15 C. I idle now at 34 or so and before was running anywhere from 45 to something like 53.

You did not say if the VGA cooling was occuring prior to the CPU, if so reverse this. Cool the CPU first.

Which CPU are you running. I will try to find the temp ranges on it. You can also search for others that are running your cpu and see what they say about their temps. Just an idea. I doubt any others are running those temps and satisfied with them.

Did you get the complete kit together? I read that there are valves at each disconnect, are your video careds running high also? If so maybe there is an issue with one of the valves. Also, is the flow indicator installed?

I was thinking of going liquid, but figured I would see if there was a way to stay HSF. I am quite happy with my temps now, and other than the $46 for a P.O.S. Tt Silent 775, the VapoChill Micro cost me like $50 and resolved my heat issues.

Not to sound odd, but the reserator itself is in a location that recieves good airflow correct? Not near a heat source?

These are just a few more ideas to check on.
March 5, 2006 11:45:31 AM

ok thanks for all of this so far,
The stock cpu cooler when on was between 45-53 C depending on the work load
when i updated the bios the temps where still the same:
Motherboard between 48-52 C
CPU 47-52
video card 37-45 (that is fine)
No I put just enough thermal paste on. just enough to cover the CPU
I have the CPU cooling first then to the video card and Yes i did get the complete kit.
The resinator is in the open not near any heating sources

The CPU i am running is a AMD 4400
March 5, 2006 5:51:06 PM

Just curious, what type case do you have. I would not think it would matter much with the Zalman Resenator but after looking around I find most temps for that CPU are around 30-35 idle. Most with stock. From what I can find out, around 50 seems to be average (not good, not bad) for cooling, but it should not reach 60c. You may start noticing some instability around there.

Do you by chance have a temp sensor inline before the liquid returns to the resonator? This would allow you to see just how hot the liquid is getting. You used only the addative that came with right?

Is the flow indicator showing good flow?

If you have checked all these things I am running out of ideas. Sorry.
March 6, 2006 12:40:59 PM

alright well from what I can tell is that my tower is average size I have enough space in there to move freely but one thing I did notice is that my flow indacator is not working I can tell that water is going into the Zalman Reserator by holding the tub. I dont know if this would cause anything but on the out portion of the Zalman Reserator I have a very long tube that is kinda rapped around the Zalman Reserator a couple of times before entering the PC. Would that make a difference?
March 6, 2006 2:25:22 PM

First, see what happens when you unwrap it. If there are no bends I would not think it would make a difference.

Second, If the flow meter is not working try this, Remove the indicator and some tubing. Put water or blow through it to see is the indicator moves freely. If so there may be a problem with the pump inside the resonator. There could also be an obstruction somewhere else. Lets try this before looking else where.

If the flow meter does indeed move freely, disconnect the tubing from the computer all together. Place the suction tube into a bowl or bucket. Then provide power to the resonator. There are a number of ways to do this, the easiest is an old at power supply. You can use an atx, but you have to jump to connections. It is safe, just ensure you do a search on the net to find an illustration. Unless of course you are already familiar with this.

Try to run it without the flow indicator, and then with it. Oh yeah, hold the discharge end above the bucket to see how good the flow is. There is not a whole lot to a flow indicator, but if it was stuck it would obstruct flow enough to cause the issues.

If it is this, you can resolve the problem cheap enough, just buy a new flow indicator, or get in touch with zalman for a replacement. You said you can feel the water moving through the lines, but if the pump is running and the flow restricted you would still feel it running but with extremely low flow.

Also, do not know how much heat may be picked up, but being wrapped around the tower that dissipates the heat may also cause the cooling to be depreciated some.

I will be waiting around to see what you end up with.
March 6, 2006 2:32:19 PM

alright I will try that but before I get started I need some help on how to empty the hoses. I am not to sure but when turn the system off does all the water return to the Zalman Reserator. How would I go about getting the water out of the hoses Safely?
March 6, 2006 11:14:56 PM

without actualy having my hands on a reserator this may be difficult. There are valves in the connections that are supposed to prevent the liquid from leaking out, or so the zalman website says.

I can not see the lines so I will ask you. Is there a possibility you may have placed one of the lines on backwards, or is there different types of connections at each end?

From what I can tell the flow indicator (after taking a much closer look) can easily be placed in backwards, but you have it in your hands so maybe you can tell better than I. Double check to see that all connections are tight. It says that as the lines are connected the valves are opened up so if a connection is not tight it may not let the valve open all the way.

If this fails, the pump specs seem to be rather low, not much of a lift. So make sure the ureserator is at the same level as the computer. You can try to place it higher or lower than the system and see if there is any temp difference.

I will keep researching to see if I can find out anything else.

I watched the video online for installation. You may want to go to the zalmanusa website and watch it. Compare what you did to what they show. Maybe something got missed. You had to put all the connections on yourself right? Talk about tedious. How many foul words came out of your mouth while installing it?
March 7, 2006 10:36:31 AM

Thanks for the help so far this is great, I have checked all the connections they are fine and on correct. I do believe that the flow indicator is on wrong so I will look at that. as for the draining of the tubes those quick releases will allow you to remove the hoses from the reserator I still have fluid in the lines. what would be the best way to get that out?
March 7, 2006 11:14:57 PM

I would not worry about that until you are certain the flow indicator is not the issue. If some leaks out, just make sure the system doesn't get wet.

At this point I would say pay very close attention to the flow indicator. It is certainly trying to tell you something. Either the pump isn't doing it's job, theres an obstruction somewhere, or the indicator is backwards and thus when the pump forces the water through it pushes the indicator basicaly into a closed position.
March 8, 2006 10:48:25 AM

Thank for all the help it has been GREAT!!! :D 
I am now possitive that the issue is on the follow indicator because I took it off and the systems idels at 32. So thanks for all of the help
March 8, 2006 8:18:47 PM

Glad to have been of assistance. Enjoy the lower temps and better performance.
March 9, 2006 7:05:50 PM

Please disregard that last statement the system was working fine but about 5 hours later it is back up to 44 with no load on it.
I was thinking would this have anything to do with it. when I applied the thermal paste on the CPU I didnt remove the old stuff. Would this have and effect on the performance?
March 9, 2006 9:52:41 PM

Um, that would be a BIG 10 4 Buddy. It is not mandatory you use a conditioner after removing the old paste, but it yields better results. Remove the block, remove ALL the compound that is there, and the cpu. Start with fresh paste and reinstall. If you want to get some conditioner and use it that is not a bad idea, but not going to kill it. I use it any time, just to be sure to remove any residues that may have gotten there and get better results when I use it. More than likely there is just too much paste on it now. Did you figure out what is wrong with the flow indicator??
!