need basic socket 754 heatsink

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
hey guys. goign to buy a athlon 64 3400 oem from newegg. I need a basic heatsink and fan to cool it, no overclocking. Tying to keep it as cheap as possible. Any suggestions?? Been looking on newegg, but i dont think im good at narrowing things down and all the heatsinks ive seen are over $25.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
although i have an amd 3700 on scoekt 754, u might wanna hold out and get a 939, they have a better memory controller and are just as cheap as 754 now that they cut prices... also they support dual channel memory and have much better motherboards. but if u already have the chip or a socket 754 mobo then go for it, if its a clawhammer it does run a bit hotter, so look into a copper heatsink

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
well forgot to mention, i already have a socket 754 gigabyte board and a atlon 64 3000 in my computer. IM selling my 3000 to my neighbor and buying a little upgrade to the 3400. THe 2.4 gig one on newegg. THe computer is for family, and games. When i upgrade i upgrade a generation behind and in moderation, just so they can play the new games in desent detail. Currentyl, we have 64 3000, ati x8000gt, and gig ram. Better cpu is next, then ill buy a new mobo , but one that is socket 754 and pci express 16, so we can go pci express, and will still be pretty inexpensive. Ill still stay at socket 754 still, but with pci express video card. Then once dual core becomes cheaper ill switch to dual core, 939 and then all ill need is new mobo and cpu, but not video card sense we will already have a PCI express video card. i usually sell the cpu or video card every year or so just so i can get enough money off old stuff to put with little more money to buy a newer item, well at least newer for us.

DragonDoc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
hey guys. goign to buy a athlon 64 3400 oem from newegg. I need a basic heatsink and fan to cool it, no overclocking. Tying to keep it as cheap as possible. Any suggestions?? Been looking on newegg, but i dont think im good at narrowing things down and all the heatsinks ive seen are over $25.

I would suggest not to purchase OEM processor because AMD will not provide a warranty on OEM processors. :cry:

Purchase Retail Box and get the fan with it. Oh by the way, you get a 3 year warranty from AMD with the retail box. :lol:

Now days the cost of OEM and then having to purchase the fan is about the same as retail box today (+ or -). :wink:

I'm sorry if you already knew that and have not already purchased it. Many people beleive they get the same warranty on OEM. I know this not to be true. About 10 to 5 years ago, AMD would honor a one year warranty for OEM CPUs. Then you could save about 20% by purchasing OEM and then get a fan. Now, AMD will not provide support or warranty OEM CPUs. The retail box CPUs have a three year warranty. :roll: