Sign in with
Your question

Half Life 2

Last response: in Video Games
April 18, 2005 12:32:56 PM

I'm sure this has been asked before, and I actually did look for a while and I guess I just suck at it, but I was wondering what the best drivers for this game would be? I get a lot glitches in HL2 and CS:S, and I just want to minimize that as much as possible. I get problems like "Can't 'read' memory" and the game just crashing with the repeating sounds. It's really annoying considering how long I waited for this game to come out, and how much I paid for it. I couldn't find any driver comparisons for my computer, so I might actually have to take time and do this myself...damn it.

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue>|<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>|<font color=red>1GB Kingston DDR400</font color=red>|<font color=purple>NEC Accucync90 19"</font color=purple>|<font color=black>Sapphire 9600XT</font color=black>

More about : half life

April 18, 2005 12:34:20 PM

I mean drivers for -

Graphics Card
Motherboard
and anything else that would cause a glitch due to a driver problem

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue>|<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>|<font color=red>1GB Kingston DDR400</font color=red>|<font color=purple>NEC Accucync90 19"</font color=purple>|<font color=black>Sapphire 9600XT</font color=black>
April 18, 2005 11:49:36 PM

Im using the latest nforce drivers on my mobo and cat 4.9b for my AGP and HL2 runs great for me with all the eye candy enabled, using r9800pro-xt. Supposedly the cat 4.12 were optimized for HL@ but never got a different FPS and the cat 5s I cannot use with the bios flash on my AGP, get black outlinning in open gl games.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
Related resources
April 19, 2005 1:19:45 AM

Actually, I just uninstalled Cat's and installed the newest Omega drivers and now I'm not crashing anymore. But I don't think that is what fixed the problem, I think I had a bad install of the Cat's, but I think I like Omega options better. I wish I could overclock my 9600xt, the most I could overclock it was like 20mhz on RAM and GPU, it brought my 3dmark03 score up from 3,800 to a little over 4,000, but I remember right when I bought the card I scored more than 4,000 :( . Meh, I'm getting a new card soon enough.

April 20, 2005 9:54:30 PM

Whenever I hear the "repeating sounds" complaint, one thing comes to mind... RAM, RAM, and RAM. Do you have enough? I finally decided that RAM is probably the sole most important denominator for playing high-power games. I have 2 gigs on my new system and has worked really well for me.

April 21, 2005 8:37:13 PM

I was having a similar problem on my last computer. It turned out that it was a problem actually in the AGP bus on the MB. For some reason, less intensive games ran OK, but the newer ones just crashed with the increased strain on the GPU.

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>
April 21, 2005 11:07:25 PM

How did you determine it was the AGP bus?!?
April 22, 2005 7:42:45 PM

Well, it was definately the MB,, it worked fine with an older card or with less demanding graphics. I actually had to send the MB to a friend for that actual diagnosis, so I'm not sure what method he used to determine that,but he'll go as far as to start tracing the MB with a magnifying glass to find cracks/broken connections. He's crazy with that stuff. But, the other hardware in the system works fine in a new MB, and no more strange memory or graphics errors.

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>
!