Internet access with Treo

When I called Cingular to activate internet and email access on my new Treo,
I was informed that there were only two plans. One was for a limited amount
of kilobytes for $29.99 (I forget the limit) or unlimited for $39.99. With
my previous phone, my choice was either $3.99 per month for access, with the
time online being charged to my plan minutes (My Wireless Window), or
various nominal amounts, from something like $2.99 to $9.99 for a set number
of kilobytes. The CSR stated that since the Treo was "kind of a computer",
these rates did not apply.

This does not seem right. I only want to be able to check my email once or
twice a day. There must be some way to connect for a few minutes a day and
not spend $30 or $40. Since I have not selected a plan, I have no access
now.

Does anyone know of any other plan, or of some other method to access the
internet with a Treo? I have gotten serious misinformation from Cingular
CSR's in the past and I am hoping that this is another example.

Hask

In <D91%c.17446$9Y5.14684@fed1read02> on Mon, 6 Sep 2004 10:31:19 -0700,
"Hask" <hask@cox.net> wrote:

>When I called Cingular to activate internet and email access on my new Treo,
>I was informed that there were only two plans. One was for a limited amount
>of kilobytes for $29.99 (I forget the limit) or unlimited for $39.99. With
>my previous phone, my choice was either $3.99 per month for access, with the
>time online being charged to my plan minutes (My Wireless Window), or
>various nominal amounts, from something like $2.99 to $9.99 for a set number
>of kilobytes. The CSR stated that since the Treo was "kind of a computer",
>these rates did not apply.
>
>This does not seem right. I only want to be able to check my email once or
>twice a day. There must be some way to connect for a few minutes a day and
>not spend $30 or $40. Since I have not selected a plan, I have no access
>now.
>
>Does anyone know of any other plan, or of some other method to access the
>internet with a Treo? I have gotten serious misinformation from Cingular
>CSR's in the past and I am hoping that this is another example.

You can get cheap data as an add-on to a voice plan (starting at $20/month for
voice alone), pushing the total price up to $30-40/month. No carrier wants
lower revenue than that because it costs so much to set up and maintain a
subscriber.

I have the $99.99 2000 anytime minutes voice plan, but they still will not
give me any data plan for less than $29.99 for some limited amount or $39.99
for unlimited. There should be a way that I can get online for a few minutes
a day, either by being charged plan minutes or by the kb, without having to
pay that much. I guess I would pay $10 a month, which I assume from your
post is available, but I can't get them to offer that to me.

Hask

> In <D91%c.17446$9Y5.14684@fed1read02> on Mon, 6 Sep 2004 10:31:19 -0700,
> "Hask" <hask@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>When I called Cingular to activate internet and email access on my new
>>Treo,
>>I was informed that there were only two plans. One was for a limited
>>amount
>>of kilobytes for $29.99 (I forget the limit) or unlimited for $39.99. With
>>my previous phone, my choice was either $3.99 per month for access, with
>>the
>>time online being charged to my plan minutes (My Wireless Window), or
>>various nominal amounts, from something like $2.99 to $9.99 for a set
>>number
>>of kilobytes. The CSR stated that since the Treo was "kind of a computer",
>>these rates did not apply.
>>
>>This does not seem right. I only want to be able to check my email once or
>>twice a day. There must be some way to connect for a few minutes a day and
>>not spend $30 or $40. Since I have not selected a plan, I have no access
>>now.
>>
>>Does anyone know of any other plan, or of some other method to access the
>>internet with a Treo? I have gotten serious misinformation from Cingular
>>CSR's in the past and I am hoping that this is another example.

> You can get cheap data as an add-on to a voice plan (starting at $20/month
> for
> voice alone), pushing the total price up to $30-40/month. No carrier
> wants
> lower revenue than that because it costs so much to set up and maintain a
> subscriber.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

[posting style fixed -- please do not switch posting styles in mid-thread]

You should be able to add MEdia Works (unlimited data) to your voice plan for
$20/month (it's what I use), or MEdia Basics (1 MB) for $8/month.
<http://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase>

In article <GXn%c.12465$54.176234@typhoon.sonic.net>, spamfilter0
@navasgroup.com says...
> >of kilobytes for $29.99 (I forget the limit) or unlimited for $39.99. With
> >my previous phone, my choice was either $3.99 per month for access, with the
> >time online being charged to my plan minutes (My Wireless Window), or
> >various nominal amounts, from something like $2.99 to $9.99 for a set number
> >of kilobytes. The CSR stated that since the Treo was "kind of a computer",
> >these rates did not apply
> This does not seem right. I only want to be able to check my email once or
> twice a day. There must be some way to connect for a few minutes a day and
> not spend $30 or $40. Since I have not selected a plan, I have no access
> now.
That CSD data is now included in GSM plans, even my GAIT plan, for no
additional charge (as long as you don't need WAP phone access or
Cingular's WW ISP)--repeat you do NOT need to subscribe to Wireless
Internet for CSD to work. I'm connecting using a Nokia 6340i with IR
using only generic IR modem drivers (on both pc and pocketpc). If the
Treo can be configured to DIAL a normal ISP it may be able to use your
minutes w/o a data plan.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA