NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN

Trying to connect two Netgear FVS328 VPN routers. What does the log message
NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN mean? The VPN Status is Phase 1: M-ESTABLISHED / Phase
2: IDLE. They are trying to connect, but do not quite complete the
connection. Any suggestions?

Best,
Christopher

Christopher Glaeser wrote:
> Trying to connect two Netgear FVS328 VPN routers. What does the log message
> NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN mean? The VPN Status is Phase 1: M-ESTABLISHED / Phase
> 2: IDLE. They are trying to connect, but do not quite complete the
> connection. Any suggestions?
>
> Best,
> Christopher

It means that the phase 2 settings do not match properly between the two
routers. So your subnet definitions may be wrong. Perhaps you put the
local address in the remote address field or something like that.

Things you normally see as part of phase 2 settings:
encapsulation type, ESP encryption transform, ESP authentication
transform, perfect forward secrecy, local and remote ip settings. Don't
worry about key lifetime settings for now, they will not cause a phase 2
failure yet.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

> It means that the phase 2 settings do not match properly between the two
> routers. So your subnet definitions may be wrong. Perhaps you put the
> local address in the remote address field or something like that.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll check all settings. What is strange is
that the routers will connect about 1 in 20 attempts. Not sure why it works
once in a while, but most attempts fail.

Best,
Christopher

m@nospam.com wrote:
> > It means that the phase 2 settings do not match properly between the two
> > routers. So your subnet definitions may be wrong. Perhaps you put the
> > local address in the remote address field or something like that.
> Thanks for the quick response. I'll check all settings. What is strange is
> that the routers will connect about 1 in 20 attempts. Not sure why it works
> once in a while, but most attempts fail.
> Best,
> Christopher

Thank you

mitchell_jones@riksa.com