can't see pics/banners

I know this is a dumb question but when I;m on the net and
a page loads I can't see where a banner or a picture
should be all I get is a box with a red x in it
1 answer Last reply
More about pics banners

    "jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I know this is a dumb question but when I;m on the net and
    > a page loads I can't see where a banner or a picture
    > should be all I get is a box with a red x in it

    From http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/redx.htm

    Most of the contents of this page are from Don Varnau and Mike Burgess

    There are many possible causes and solutions.
    Try the quick, easy fix first. Clear the IE cache from IE> Tools> Internet
    Options> General> Delete files and Delete offline content. Reset the TIF
    folder size to about 50MB (Settings button) and clear it occasionally.

    Next...
    283807 - Pictures Are Not Displayed on Web Sites in Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807
    Note: Repairing IE instead of reinstalling may work
    194177 - Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool (Windows
    95,98,98SE,ME,NT4-SP1,SP2,2000-SP1,SP2)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=194177
    318378 - How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in
    Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

    221134 - Some Images, Contents, or Controls May Not Be Displayed When
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221134
    - - - - -
    Additional information from Mike Burgess:

    Are you using a Firewall or "filtering software"?

    Several of these are known to cause problems:
    1) Zone Alarm Pro [Private Header Info - enabled?]
    Reset "Ad Blocking" and "Cookie Control" to "medium"
    "Mobile Code Control" = Off

    2) Symantec (ISS\NIS)[Enable Browser Privacy - enabled]
    Active Content - "Allow All Script To Execute"
    Problem: some sites cannot detect the 128 bit encryption
    Solution: Completely remove and reinstall NIS.
    [more info]
    Web Pages Display a Red "X" Instead of a Graphic
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316545 [Norton Products]

    3) Any "ad blocking" software that blocks "http_referrer"
    or contains entries that are blocking access to the desired site.

    4) HOSTS file that contains entries that are blocking access to the desired
    site.

    5) Cookie blocking software that are blocking "required" Cookies.

    6) Pop-up blockers that are stripping header\url info.

    7) WebWasher Standard Filter/URL Filter

    8) Make sure the following registry entry is not corrupt:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings]
    "User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)"

    Note: "Win32" = Windows 98\ME
    Other versions = (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0;)

    To check your "User Agent":
    Paste the below into the Address Bar and view the output:

    javascript:navigator.userAgent

    [Example WinME output]
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; Win 9x 4.90)
    - - - - -
    Other possibilities at http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/ieimage.htm
    and
    http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#jpg_gif