password problem

I am the only user set up on my computer, changed my
password, and forgot it. How can I log on to my
computer? Is there any way around this with out reloading
windows?
2 answers Last reply
More about password problem

    If you have XP Pro on your computer, at the log in screen type
    ctrl-alt-delete
    twice. In the user account type administrator, leave the password
    blank and press enter. You likely didn't create a password for this
    hidden account during setup and if the computer was purchased with XP
    pre-installed it doesn't likely have one either,

    If you have Home, boot into Safe Mode (F8 after the post test and before
    Windows starts. Once Windows starts loading, you've missed it and will
    have to try again). You'll have an option to log on as Administrator.
    Again, the same procedure, you'll be asked to log in to get into safe
    mode, type administrator, leave the password blank and press enter.

    This will get you in. Then go to Control Panel, user accounts, select
    the specific user and select change password. Once you've changed the
    password it would be advisable to create a Password Reset Disk by
    clicking "Prevent a Forgotten Password" link in the left pane.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    mandie wrote:
    > I am the only user set up on my computer, changed my
    > password, and forgot it. How can I log on to my
    > computer? Is there any way around this with out reloading
    > windows?

    Saw your post and just had to drop my own comments. You have a good reply
    to your inquiry, use that information to get access to your system. I've
    been using computers for years and I have never logged on to, or set up any
    of my machines with a password, Windows Logon, or user accounts. They cause
    more problems than you can imagine. Your post is evidence of that. I
    sometimes help my friends and associates with computer issues and the first
    thing I try to talk them into doing is getting rid of all passwords, except
    for those used when browsing websites of course, and eliminating all user
    accounts. They usually agree after they see how trouble free their systems
    can be. One of my friends has a small office with five machines and they
    all had multiple passwords and user accounts. They had constant problems
    with forgetting passwords, mixing up user accounts and generally getting
    discombobulated. They needed to do some major machine maintenance and after
    we backed up all their data, I formatted and reinstalled XP with no
    passwords or user accounts. Their machines run like new and they have no
    problems. They get more work done and in less time. All is right with the
    world. Consider dropping the logon passwords and user accounts, you'll be
    glad you did!

    "mandie" <mandie@mandiesplayground.com> wrote in message
    > I am the only user set up on my computer, changed my
    > password, and forgot it. How can I log on to my
    > computer? Is there any way around this with out reloading
    > windows?

Computers Microsoft Windows XP