OC n00b Questions

eviltechie

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I'm just getting into overclocking. Never really messed with it in the past. So, these questions will likely seem very n00b-ish. Sorry. :wink:

My specs: I'm running an Athlon 64 X2 3800+. It's stock speed is 2000MHz. And with the stock HSF is stays at around 35C when idle and 45C when under load.

First, I've been running Super Pi to load the CPU. But it only uses one of the two cores of my CPU. Is it still giving an accurate indication of my temp. when under load? If not, is there a prog. that will load BOTH cores?

Second, I've currently overclocked the CPU to 2200MHz (200MHz overclock). The idle temp. is still between 35C and 36C, and the load temp never gets above 48C. This is still with the stock HSF. It runs stable. Should I continue to push it, or should I upgrade the HSF before going any farther?

Third, I looked at some THG reviews of CPU air coolers, but it looks like there have been some new ones released since the review. What's the current best air cooler? (Water-cooling isn't in the budget.)

Fourth, Does anyone know the maximum stable speed that has been reached with the X2 3800+.

Fifth, I read that the X2 3800+ generates 89W of heat. Is there a chart that shows how much that increases with overclocked speed?

Thanks!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
With the stock hsf it okay to oc your cpu to 10% but anything beyond that then you would need a better hsf or water cooling just to be on the safe side. So 2200mhz is the 10% increase of your cpu which is optimal with the stock hsf. :D

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
First, I've been running Super Pi to load the CPU. But it only uses one of the two cores of my CPU. Is it still giving an accurate indication of my temp. when under load? If not, is there a prog. that will load BOTH cores?
I use Prime95 to test under load. In order to get 2 instances running at the same time, you need to create 2 folders each with a copy of the program files, and then run each .exe once. I guess you may be able to do the same with SuperPi. Running both cores at 100% will increase the overall temp.

Second, I've currently overclocked the CPU to 2200MHz (200MHz overclock). The idle temp. is still between 35C and 36C, and the load temp never gets above 48C. This is still with the stock HSF. It runs stable. Should I continue to push it, or should I upgrade the HSF before going any farther?
I think the general recommendation is not to push the temps over 55C (I personally like to stay around 50C to be safe). These recommendation refer to an Opteron cpu though - not too sure about the X2 3800+ (may be different). Whilst you may be able to push it a little further, I would tend to agree with Chuckshissle and say that you should consider a better cooling solution.

Third, I looked at some THG reviews of CPU air coolers, but it looks like there have been some new ones released since the review. What's the current best air cooler? (Water-cooling isn't in the budget.)
There's a nice discussion on this thread. Basically, the main ones discussed are:
Zalman CNPS9500
Thermaltake SI-120
Ninja Scythe

Out of the 3, the Ninja Scythe probably has the best cooling performance. It's huge, and can support passive cooling if your into silent running. With a 120mm fan, it performs even better. Difficult to find in some countries though.

I personally have the Zalman, and really like it. I have no objective reference for this, though, as I just bought it and used it on a new Opteron CPU (maybe I should have dropped it onto my FX-55 first for comparison to stock cooling).

TRENDING THREADS