Sign in with
Your question

Tell me what you think before i take the plunge

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
March 5, 2006 5:43:59 AM

Taking the plunge this week, or next. Complete new System.
Let me know what you think as far as hardware choices, possible issues, etc. I plan on doing some medium to light gaming, No FEAR or Unreal, Video conversion stuffs, i.e. converting rare/botleg vhs's to dvd, Video editing, After Effetcs Premier...

Also want the option to dual boot XP and OSX X86 when that all gets "worked out", if in fact it does.

I want to overclock.

I was gifted, and therefore already have the following:

2 Gigs Corsair CMX1024 v5.1 - 3200 - 400 mhz stock 3.3.3.8

Western Digital Caviar SATA 250Gigs

I am looking at the following:

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD

AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model OSA170DAA6CD - Retail

eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT CO SE 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

The heatsink, dont know, looking at

Zalman 9500
Scythe Ninja w/ 120 fan
Tuniq 120
Thermaltake Big Typhoon

and one of these cases:

Lian li pc-70/71
Coolermaster Stacker 810

Recomendations appreciated.
Known hardware clashes you know of?

Thanks in advance.

More about : plunge

March 5, 2006 5:51:15 AM

The DFI boards are rather tough to set up. There are so many options in bios alone, to get confusing.
Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of it. The OCing options make it a must have for a serious enthusiast. Just search out DFI street, for some fine support.
March 5, 2006 6:03:38 AM

Looks like a pretty good system.

I've been pondering a new Heatsink, and am going to go with the Zalman after much thought, though I've been looking from a noise perspective as much as a performance perspective.
The Scythe Ninja seems like a popular one as well and a good performer, but I think it's a little too big for my tastes.

I like my Antec P160 case, not sure about the other two.

Don't let anyone tell you your card is overkill for an occasional gamer. I have one, and it's quite nice.

The ASUS boards are also nice for OCing, Abit boards aren't bad either.
March 5, 2006 12:26:34 PM

I have the SLI Expert board with an Opteron 165. Its a good setup and I would certainly get it. If your new to OC'ing, make sure you read up on this board at DFI-street because, it will seem intimidating at first.
!