Slave Drive installation problem.

snakey77

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Any help Would be much appreciated.

I am running windows XP with a 40gig hard drive and have just bought a new 200gig seagate7200 drive that i want to set as the slave drive,(easier to install so i thought). Using the Discwizard setup i downloaded from seagate i installed the new drive in the slave postion.

My Cmos recognises the new drive however it doesnt display in my, MY COMPUTER section. Using the seagate diskwizard i apparantly installed the new drive and partioned it.

Still not showing in MY COMPUTER. After checking some troubleshooting pages on the net, I checked my computer management /disk management section where it is suposedly suppose to show DISC 0, DISC 1, CD-ROM 0. On mine it dosent show DISC 1. However under my computer management /device manger/idsc drives tab the slave drive is displayed.

Further troubleshooting and i have changed my jumpers to set as Master and slave, still no joy:(. My cable is the one that allow dual hard drive and recognises which is which from the positioning, if that helps.

Any help that you could give me would be great or link to a site that has better step by step instructions than what i have done already wold be great.

Thanks

right click my computer and click manage, check in disk management for the new drive and if you have the option, initialise or assign drive letter - its there somewhere just right click on the patition (on the right) or the drive its self (on the left)

snakey77

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Thanks for your reply but like i said in my first post there is nothing there at all ( my bad for making it hard to understand).

All it shows there is my original hard drive and my cd rom drive.

snakey77

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I go Start menu, then right click my computer, click manage bringing up my Compuer management screen. The left side has all the tabs and i click Disk Management under the storage tab which then brings up the info on the right side.

The right side up top shows my volume, layout, typefile system, etc, etc for my Drive C. Nothing else, now in another screen underneath this all that shows is a tab box for Disk 0 (which is drive C) and another tab box for CD-ROM 0 and this displays nothing beside it.

Apart from that there is nothing else under the disk management tab.

And thanks again for your help with this.

ok then sounds like either bios or physical - have you set the jumpers and cables correctly (drive at end of cable as master, jumper set to master and slave in middle of cable set to slave) and do not use CL or CS (cable select)

also check the bios and make sure all the ide channels are enabled, and the devices enabled (all set to auto)

snakey77

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Just went through it twice set front jumper to master and middle on to slave( there was no diagram for slave so i tried it in the only 2 other positons available. Still no luck.

Thanks heaps for your help ive been on this for 8 hours now and its really pissing me off. Ive done one before looks like im going to have to bring in the experts.