Sign in with
Your question

Restart problems with newly build PC! Need Help!!

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2006 11:00:16 AM

Right, so i just recently built my very first gaming PC and have had and am having a few problems with it. Okay so the first fault that i had was when i was installing the latest drivers for my hardware for the first time. Every time i had finished an installation and restarted (as advised by windows) it just suddenly got really slow starting up windows at the load screen (about 5 mins!). Then it got worse when i installed my nvidia graphics card drivers and upgrades, and it actually gave me the "start in safe mode" screen when i restarted!? I was really confused so i just selected safe mode and did system restore and went through the nvidia installation once more, this time not installing directX9 (had a prob with this on my old comp). The next few restarts and startups continued giving me that dam safe mode screen untill i eventually selected start "windows normally" and it seemed to stop and go back to normal. Then i installed FEAR and directX9 which came with it. Everything is kinda going normal now, but i still get that annoying 5mins windows loading screen everytime! I dont understand whats going on! and have i damaged my PC!!??? Aslo i have a really fast hard drive (WD Raptor 150GB) so everything should be lightening fast!!! :evil:  Plz Help!
a b B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2006 11:31:19 AM

What chipset?? What processor, how much mem, what graphics card?

(If an Nvidia chipset, I'd try to avoid their IDE drivers, instead using the default M$ IDE drivers instead..)
March 5, 2006 1:01:32 PM

Okay heres my system:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Asus a8n sli premium
Xfx 7800 gtx 256mb
2gigs Corsair XMS RAM/memory
Seasonic s12 600W PSU (i know its overboard)
WD Raptor 150GB
Win XP Pro

By the way im using SATA hard drive.
Related resources
March 6, 2006 2:47:22 AM

Quote:
Okay heres my system:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Asus a8n sli premium
Xfx 7800 gtx 256mb
2gigs Corsair XMS RAM/memory
Seasonic s12 600W PSU (i know its overboard)
WD Raptor 150GB
Win XP Pro

By the way im using SATA hard drive.

Actually, a 600W PSU is not overboard nowadays, the min I use on builds now is 550W. As for the slow load times, check your system temps, its possible you are overheating and the CPU is slowing down so the system temp is not at excessively high levels. Asus Probe will be on your CD that came with the mobo and will give you CPU temp along with motherboard temp and fan speed. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS update (using another program on the CD, I think its called Asus Flash). One of these two at least help you figure out the problem.
March 6, 2006 10:20:17 AM

Ok i checked my temps and my CPU and Mb never go above 30C at idle. Thats okay right?
March 6, 2006 4:59:03 PM

Thats just fine.. problems occur at 65C+

Check to see if you are using the nVidia driver for IDE.. its buggy as crap and causes major performance problems. If you are switch to the MS driver.
!