ddr400 compatibility with 533fsb

PJ101

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I currently have 512mb ddr333 ram and have hit my overclocking wall. I have 2 sticks of 512mb ddr400 lying around in my dads office.. On top of that it is corsair :) The only problem is that my processor (p4 2.8) has 533 fsb. The booklet says that it only supports up to ddr33. Conversely i have heard that if you knock down the speed in the bios for the ddr400 ram then it will work. This would be considered a free upgrade for me if it works. (double the capacity) Also i have my processor oc'ed to 3.3ghz. Would I stil be able to OC my machine if i put the ddr400 in (assuming its possible) From my point of view if i found a way to get it to work, it would have more headroom to oc. Am I wrong... its spec'd to run at 200mhz (400ddr) So logically i could now oc my processor to a 200mhz external clock (4.2ghz) assuming it didnt top out before then. I remeember trying this memory before (i had no clue what i was doing at the time) abd it didnt work. At that point i had the ram speed set to 400. Now i realize i need to scale that down... but to what. 266 or 333?

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I currently have 512mb ddr333 ram and have hit my overclocking wall. I have 2 sticks of 512mb ddr400 lying around in my dads office.. On top of that it is corsair :) The only problem is that my processor (p4 2.8) has 533 fsb. The booklet says that it only supports up to ddr33. Conversely i have heard that if you knock down the speed in the bios for the ddr400 ram then it will work. This would be considered a free upgrade for me if it works. (double the capacity) Also i have my processor oc'ed to 3.3ghz. Would I stil be able to OC my machine if i put the ddr400 in (assuming its possible) From my point of view if i found a way to get it to work, it would have more headroom to oc. Am I wrong... its spec'd to run at 200mhz (400ddr) So logically i could now oc my processor to a 200mhz external clock (4.2ghz) assuming it didnt top out before then. I remeember trying this memory before (i had no clue what i was doing at the time) abd it didnt work. At that point i had the ram speed set to 400. Now i realize i need to scale that down... but to what. 266 or 333?

Pop the RAM in, set it to DDR333 in BIOS, and start incrementing your FSB, and it will overclock.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time