Sign in with
Your question

Athlon64-3700SD or Athlon64-X2-3800

Last response: in CPUs
March 5, 2006 4:22:58 PM

I am putting together a new system and have decided to go with AMD.

I am somewhat set on Athlon 3700 San Diego
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

I would like a dual core but not sure if I should get the cheapest DC now
or wait till I can either afford a better one of they get cheaper.

I am looking at this DC:

My current system has an old Athlon 800 so anything will be much better, but I want some performance.

I figure the 3700 will be fast and having a Socket 939 board I can upgrade latter.

I am not a gamer at all but like my current Athlon so...why change.

Cheers
March 5, 2006 4:33:14 PM

Depends on what you do with that rig...

You said your not a heavy gamer but that in itself isnt enough to decide single or dual core. Keeping in mind the next version of windows will be multi threaded.

Do you mutli task alot???? Meaning would this type of situation occour frequently.

You want to rip a dvd to your hard drive. So you set it all up and decide that its boring to wait the 15 or 20 min unti its done. So you say to yourself, hey why not induldge in some BF2 or AOE3?? That would be a good reason to go dual core.

Do you do video work, capturing, redering, transcodeing. Do you do alot of audio work, ripping cd's into MP3s??? How about a decent bit of photoshop work where you have several high res pics open at once??

Now if you do those things, but never more then one at a time and dont care that it will be anywhere from 10-30%ish slower then just go with the San Deigo. If you multi task or plan on overclocking, then dual core is the way to go.

Remember that its a waste of money to buy a fast dual core cpu. Buy the slowest chip with the amount of onchip memory you want and simply OC it often saving yourself half or more of the money you would spend to get a processor equal or slightly slower!!!!!
March 5, 2006 4:34:46 PM

Go For X2 3800 If You Really Want More Performance :!:
It WILL Boost Your System Like a Rocket :wink:
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 5, 2006 4:37:26 PM

i was faced with this dilema last week. I purchased the X2 3800+.

Reason:
I went for future use. No secret the market is shifting to multi-cores. By getting the X2 and some good DDR400 you basically get a free pass to skip the AM2 platform. Since early benchmarks are only showing a 10% difference between DDR2 and DDR400 i don't see it worthwhile. Only DDR2 800 and the other enhanced versions of it (DDR2 1000) will you see a significant difference.

just my two cents
March 5, 2006 4:37:31 PM

Exactly upon what do you base that information???

If he doesnt use multi threaded apps he will be quite disappointed in that X2 3800+. After all it will only perform like a 3200+ will, and the 3700+ owns the 3200+.
March 5, 2006 4:45:32 PM

What I do with my rig:

No gaming
Lots of web browsing (multiple pages)
word processing
sometimes burn cds (new build will have dvd)
some digi photo but not intensive photoshop apps
no video work
watch videos while browsing other pages

So I typically just do tons of web browsing (researching with 10 pages open) while maybe some concurrent Word going on, outlook xpress doing its thing, managing window folders.

And maybe burn a cd, but not often.
March 5, 2006 4:51:18 PM

Your fine with a single core then.. save yourself the money and get the 3700+. In single threaded apps it outperforms the 3800+ (remember at stock each core of the 3800+ is only running at 2.0ghz and only has half the cache of that 3700+).

In the future you can sell off that 3700+ and pick up an X2 or opteron if you do get into mutli threaded apps or want to start doing alot of multi tasking. But for what multi tasking your doing (Internet explorer and the likes) that SD will be more then fine.
March 5, 2006 4:58:25 PM

thanks
WoWchamp and others

I think that is my best bet.

What do you think about a motherboard?

I was looking for a good one with onboard video that is S939 but can't find one that has good ratings etc so I am looking at this one:

and adding a cheap video card??
the only thing I dont like is this one does not have 1394.

And any advice on video card? I want DVI Svideo

thanks again
March 5, 2006 5:04:00 PM

If your goana go ASUS get the ASUS A8N-E

Just pick up some cheap PCI-E video card like the X800 or 6600GT

That card should be unlockable to 16 pipelines and overclockable to X850XT speeds. One reviewer said the card wasn't but I dont know... I thought all X800GTO's just had software disables of 4 pipelines.

A 1394 PCI card is cheaper then hell, I think that A8N-E has one though.
March 5, 2006 5:16:44 PM

WoWchamp
Again I do not game so do u really think I need to spend $159.99
on a video card

the only difference from the A8N-E and the A8N5X is the Nbridge.

Also, I'm into a quiet system so I am considering going wirth a fanless vid card (at the expense of speed)like:

I'm not worried about 1394.

thanks
March 5, 2006 5:41:33 PM

Pengwin,

That looks like a cool card. the cooling technology looks solid.
But it seems a little pricey$ for my needs?
And is it a brand new item? there are no reviews.

Again, I am not a gamer but would like decent cvideo capabilities. I was going to get a mobo w/ onboard video but did not like my choices so I decided to get one w/out and add a card.

I figure something like:
would be better than most onboard video and give me decent video/grasphics and it is silent.
??

Thanks
March 5, 2006 5:58:37 PM

A 3700+ would also be overkill for your needs IMO. A 3200+ would be easily sufficent for your needs.

I picked a single core, and now and again I wish I had gotten a dual core. Times like when you have a virus scan running, you can not do any thing else, with a dual core you could.
Also burning DVDs again the comp because useless whilst its going, on a dual core that woul dnot be the case.

I say I wished I had a dual core about 15% of the time, I went single because I mostly game.

As for graphics go for something like a x1300 as it has Avivo (speeds up encoding) and is fanless.
March 5, 2006 6:14:56 PM

sleepdeprived82,

That Vid card looks better than the one I was considsering before for only a few $>. I will definatley consider it.

As far as the CPU goes, I'm sure the 3200Venice would be fine (anything is betrter than what I have now)

I was just looking to up the performance some without going all out to DC(Dual-Core). The 3700 is only $47 >than 3200Venice. But the same goes for 3700 to DC3800 $ its only so much>$.

Would you rather have the Venice 3200 over the 3700SanDiego?
U wouldnt rather have the bigger cache?

Thanks
March 5, 2006 6:41:04 PM

I think you should after all pick that 3800+ X2 :D 
You aren't a real gamer so you don't really need the "gaming performance" what San Diego 3700+ can offer to you. Then again if you aren't into overclocking stock 3200+ would feel little too low. It's hard to say do you really need X2, but you might feel bad later if you think that you should have gone with the X2 in the first place.

What comes to that A8N5X mobo, I don't see any problem going with it. I have it myself and it has been good for me. The only difference between A8N-E and A8N5X is that A8N-E has been longer on the sales - is more popular and it has Nforce 4 ULTRA. Otherwise it's the same. Nforce 4 ultra has just few little things more, like 1394, what normal Nforce 4 doesn't have. I personally don't need those things so it was same to go with A8N5X.
March 5, 2006 6:53:34 PM

Comas & others,

I was just doing an online Panda scan and trying to browse at the same time.

Of course my browsing was slow.

Again I have an old Athlon 800.

Would An Athlon 3200 or 3700 San Diego speed this type of situation up?

Or, would the Dual Core be the solution?

I also routinely do other virus/syware scans while browsing Windows and WWW.

Cheers
March 5, 2006 7:05:37 PM

yah dual core would b ebetter

ur not gonna OC right?

if u are get an opteron

and i think the gigabyte 128 MB 6600LE card is good for ya better cooling and its cheaper u dont deen 256MB if u arnt gonna play games
March 5, 2006 7:15:18 PM

I wasnt planning on OC'ing. But I probaly will when I get bored.
The opteron is better for OCing right?
But the athlon64XT is OC'able isnt it (just not as much as the Opt)
I am looking to build a STABLE system.
I dont think I need to OC.

U dont like this card:

One thing everyone agrees on her is that everyone has a different opinion IMO!

thanks
March 5, 2006 7:47:43 PM

It really doesn't come down to what you want to do with it so much as how long do you want to wait before you upgrade. Just about every processor on the market will suffice for what you wanna do, so your options are endless there. Now building for the future is the best approach one can take when budgeting, becuase you won't have the money to get the latest and greatest every 3months, so you will want something that can atleast last you a year or more. With the market swinging to multi-threaded apps, and dual/quad cores in the next 2 years. your best choice for longevity would be to go Dual Core. Not to mention if you plan to use windows vista you will almost have to eventually get a dual core, and hopefully soon nVidia and ATI will make a "real" hi-def GPU core, not just a capable PCB.

So you need to ask your self "How long do I want to wait till I am ready to upgrade again"
March 5, 2006 7:51:55 PM

Cliffhucker Dude:

You have been getting numerous answers from this gang of genuinely zealous OC'ers, and all of them have stipulated worthwhile opinions to you. However, it seems that you've been "infected" with the same mental virus of "how do I hotrod my rig to 'da max?" and, AT THE SAME TIME you profess your "desire" to keep costs to a minimum. Here's what 'ya need to keep in the forefront of your mind:

1. OC'ing like hot rodding a car costs cubic $$$ ... how fast do 'ya wanna go?

2. Coming from an Athlon 800 Slot A rig to ANY socket 939 Athlon/Semperon 64 with 1GB PC3200 will seem like you just won the CPU speed lottery.

3. Ya' gotta pay attention to your power supply for the new rig, so do not get anything smaller than a 380 watt (Antec) and here bigger is better, all else being equal. Also, get a case that uses a 120mm input (front) and outlet (rear) fan setup, and use 1800 RPM fans ... you'll never hear 'em. I would also recommend a case that has a front intake fan washable filter, otherwise you'll get ton of sh*t inside (have ya' opened your current case lately?)

4. ANY $50-60 Nvidia or ATI vid card will do what you need given your description of system use.

I hope this helps you focus a bit more clearly :D  :D 
March 5, 2006 8:01:59 PM

ecosoft dude,

Sounds like ur a straight shooter. Yes it helps some focus but still have alot of decisions to make.

No doubt I win the CPU lottery upgrading from my 800.

I dont need to OC.
I do think Dual Core would be nice since I do frequent scans while browsing and doing word processing. So do you think the 3800XT would be better than an Athlon 64 3200 or 3700?

And I am looking at three Antec cases right now. I am veering towards this one:
http://www.directron.com/slk2650bqe.html

It only has an 80mm front option though.

Which case were you thinking of?
3700BQE ?

And any vid card reccomentdations?

thanks for help, i need it

Cliffhucker dude
March 5, 2006 8:11:36 PM

ecosoft,

Also, Yes I am trying to keep costs down but I dont have to. I have plenty of $ to spend but only on whats needed. I do noty want to spend $on video card because I dont game. Also I do not want a big loud machine so I am trying to keep it quiet.

I do however want it to be fast for what I do (as stated in previous posts)
But, of course I do not want to spend uneedingly.

I am pretty handy (I'm a contractor) and I routinely open my case and blow it out w/ Compressor.

If I have say a 450W PSU would it always be pulling 450W? or is it a function of what is being actively used in my system?

Thanks
March 5, 2006 8:23:41 PM

After reading these replies and thinking about this for while it would be best to go with X2 Opteron, Opteron 165. If you aren't familiar with the opterons yet, the basic idea is same as other X2 processors. It is just said that Opterons have slightly higher quality than normal X2s and they also run cooler. At the beginning they were made to be run at the Server machines, but nowadays they're used on every kind of PCs.

The reason why I think this is the best idea so far is that it gives you excellent situation when we are thinking for the future.
Even at the stock speed this processor will be enough and will give you the advantages of Dual core-technology.
There will be lots of headroom in this processor and IF you some boring day decide to try OC'ing then you have good chances to succeed with this proc. Usually people first don't give a **** of overclocking, but after a while they learn how much there is megahurtz to squeeze out! :lol: 

I hope you don't get me wrong here, because I am not trying to encourage you to overclock if you don't want it yourself. I just want to make you clear that there is this lots of headroom in this proc. what you can try to take later if you decide to do so. After all it's your decision and there are also risks, which are good to keep in mind.

The price is also almost the same as the X2 3800+, which shouldn't be a problem.
March 5, 2006 8:54:14 PM

yourbestfriend

That is a cool/usefull comparison tool.

Thank you very much.

I am sure it will be usefull for many others (especially in my predicament)

It may help me be more decisive.

Cheers
March 5, 2006 8:59:03 PM

Eh what are you talking about

My single core is seriously crippled by a virus scan, ok i can still surf and load pages but its painfully slow if i try to load a new page whilst its running. A dual core would not have that issue.

I would suggest just getting a x2 3800+, unless the 165 is close enough in price because then you get the extra cache.
March 5, 2006 9:04:51 PM

Yes its a usefull tool but it only tells you certain info. It does not show the true advantage of dual core that you can multitask.
March 5, 2006 9:06:19 PM

Oh F...!,
XT3800 $295
Opt 165 $328

I should just buy a AMD Athlon 64 FX60 Toledo, its only $738> OPT165

The larger cache does sound nice so itf I do decide on XT3800 I could see going the X-tra $33

?????????????????
March 5, 2006 9:10:21 PM

Well thats a difficuit choice

x2 3800 2ghz 1mb cache
165 1.8ghz 2mb cache

Ah forget what I said, unless your def going to overclock get a x2 3800 or a 170 opty.

I dont think the extra cache will be noticed but the 200mhz loss probablywill be.
March 5, 2006 9:16:49 PM

sleepdeprived82,

LOL

what about this advice?

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/THGC-CPU-Buyers...

sleepdeprived82 so definatly any kinfd of Dual core over any single core?
3700SanDiego VS xt3800?

The 3700 or any newer than what I have Athlon 64 Single Core would multi task better right!? I have an old Athlon 800.

I am veering towards the xt3800 (at least in this moment in time)!
March 5, 2006 9:27:25 PM

Depends what you mean by multitask, any new cpu will do things a lot faster than your current one.

Having 10 explorer and messenger pages open is never going to bottleneck a new single core cpu, but running a scan or durning burning a dvd will.

Dual cores will just allow you to do things that take a lot of cpu time but not slow down any thing else you may be doing.

Like I said I wish I had a dual core about 15% of the time, the other 85% of the time I just dont need a dual core as I dont multitask that much. weigh it up, is the price your paying worth it to you. If you never multitask then you will prob never notice a dual core. (apart form people tell me windows loads instantly once on desktop on dual core as one loads the programmes the other is ready to go straight away)

Reading your requirements I would say go x2 3800, its fast almost future proof and if you need to scan for viruses whilst surfing the web and watching a dvd you can.
March 5, 2006 9:30:34 PM

I want a dual core... prices will drop 4000X2 yes sir
March 5, 2006 9:48:47 PM

sleepdeprived82,

So, youd rather have an XT3800 over a 3700Sandiego only 15% of the time? does this mean that the 3800 is slower unless multitasking?

If you were not to get a Dual core would you save the $46 and go with a venice 3200 over the 3700SanDieg?

get some sleep
March 5, 2006 10:02:53 PM

Cliffhucker :D 

Here's the most killer case deal I've seen lately ($69.95) http://www.frozencpu.com/cas-178.html?id=2FDmx4Lp ... I bought one from Antec a year ago, their "package" with TrueControl 550 (nifty, if you want to tweak mobo 3v, 5v, 12v dead nuts) along with the Antec noise elim kits for two 120mm fans, and one of their 120mm fans ... all + shipping for ONLY $309.95! :oops:  Aaarrrrgggh! Don't bother with the noise killer kits, although "nice" in theory 'ya can't use one on the Antec case front fan ... it'll only accept a 25mm thick fan and the noise kit adds another 2-3mm, so it'll rip the noise killer "gasket" right off when installing the fan into the case. Fact is, I replaced the optional rear Antec 38 x 120mm I bought with a low speed 25 x 120mm at 1800 RPM ... still moves MORE THAN ENOUGH hot air out (remember, a PS unit also has a substantial fan as well), but now I'm 8-10db lower in total noise level ... aaahh :D 

As for CPU, why buy whatchya really don't now need ... dual core? If, in the future you discover you REALLY need multitasking speed then get a dual core 939 and swap. Now, here's a killer Newegg deal ... Athlon 64 3800+ Venice (2.4GHz) for $282 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... OR you could opt for Newegg's Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz for $349 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... WHILE the ONLY difference is the part number: ADA3800BPBOX (cheap) or ADA3800BWBOX (expensive) Newegg cannot offer any "reason" why the pricing difference, but there IS ONLY ONE 3800+ Venice core AMD produces!! Also, both are boxed retail packages, so 'ya don't have to worry about what HSF is used ... 'ya got a three year AMD warranty on either!

At this point I want to recommend Crucial for memory ... retail unit of Micron, the ONLY American PC memory manufacturer left ... if you buy direct from Crucial 'ya get a lifetime warranty! Over the years I've had several Micron sticks croak for whatever reason, but Crucial ALWAYS honored their warranty. (My operative modality here is "don't TELL me what you'll do SHOW ME... and Crucial has :D  ) Crucial Ballistix DDR runs with the best of 'em (read the reviews at Crucial's site) http://www.crucial.com/ballistix/store/listmodule.asp Although Crucial, OCZ, Kingston, etc. all offer several "speed steps" (DDR400/466/500/etc.) they ALL USE the SAME raw manufacturer's chip ... just tested & binned by speed test results. Now, the hook here is EVERY mem chip mfg'r (just like CPU's) strives mightly to improve wafer yields (quality) so, odds are that any given individual chip is 99.9% as 'good" as any other! Therefore, buy the cheapest speed and loosen the timings to the fastest speed spec (i.e: 2-2-2-6 PC3200 to 2.5-4-4-8 PC4000) and you'll more than likely run just fine :D  In the case of Crucial Ballistix, it's only a $7/GB difference in initial cost PC3200-PC4000!

As for PS power draw, unfortunately the answer is yes, you'll have a constant power dissipation load, or no load :(  The PC power supply designers (?) haven'y yet discovered "downtracking converter" circuity ... it controls the power dissipation by adjusting the output as a function of the load, so no excess heat is generated and efficiencies are improved markedly.

As for blowing the case out vs. vacuuming ... well Dude, where do 'ya think all the sh*t blown out goes? Would ya' THINK that all the junk "floating in the room atmosphere" just MIGHT be sucked right back in?? :)  Trust me, or better yet your own experience, and shop vacuum 'da sucker :D 
March 5, 2006 10:08:15 PM

Trouble is Im a gamer, at the moment single core is winning on that front esp my super overclocked opty.

Honestly If I had the choice again I would get a dual core opty and overclock the nuts of that. I would just like a dual core for those rare moments it is needed. Things will also get better for dual cores and they will be utilised more in the future.

The speed differnce beterrn a 3880x2 and a 3700+ is only 200mhz its barely noticable plus you hav an extra core with the 3800+.

If you did go for single for your needs any thing 3200+ above will be sufficient but it depends on your budget , me I decide my budget find a chip in that budget then pick the next model up becasue its only a little bit more LOL.

Your not an overclocker and prices dont seem to be that important so get a x2 3800+ you wont look back.
March 5, 2006 10:09:24 PM

ecosoft,

thanks for all ur input.

And you think I blow out my case in my house? I bring it out to my shop and use a repirator. But I do have a shop vac and may try it.
March 5, 2006 10:10:38 PM

sorry for my spelling mistakes its late and im fumbling at the keyboard,
these decisions are never easy, good luck
March 5, 2006 10:10:39 PM

Hey Every1

I reckon that you should go the Athlon 64 3700+ San Deigo!

its a great processor, and i can give you sum reasons why becuase i have one and i am way :D  :p  ehhehe lol

1.) At stock they run super cool... like anywhere from 25c-no more then 40c 'cause after all you where looking for a cool n quite pc'
2.) I've had mine reach 2.78gig easy, so you got some room for bordem fun and heat doesn't go up that much coz i only needed to up the Volts .5+.

i also did heaps of research on them to either get a x3800 dualie or the 3700+

i went the San Deigo clearly coz it can be overclocked, and you can get performance like FX 55+

i get the 3700+ and like make sure u have good low CAS ram :D  makes heaps of difference!

:D 
March 5, 2006 10:16:50 PM

sleepdeprived82,

Dual core seems to be the way but the XT3800 doe not seem to perform at most things besided multitasking than the 3700SD.
at least looking at the differnt scenarios here:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...

It seems as though unless you are going to go with a faster dual core like the XT4800, the 3700SD is better.
Or unless all you do is multi task.

Is looking at multiple web pages considered multi taskig?
March 5, 2006 10:43:48 PM

Quote:
Hey Every1

I reckon that you should go the Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego!

its a great processor, and i can give you sum reasons why because i have one and i am way :D  :p  ehhehe lol

1.) At stock they run super cool... like anywhere from 25c-no more then 40c 'cause after all you where looking for a cool n quite pc'
2.) I've had mine reach 2.78gig easy, so you got some room for bordem fun and heat doesn't go up that much coz i only needed to up the Volts .5+.

i also did heaps of research on them to either get a x3800 dualie or the 3700+

i went the San Diego clearly coz it can be overclocked, and you can get performance like FX 55+

i get the 3700+ and like make sure u have good low CAS ram :D  makes heaps of difference!

:D 

Yea I just got a sd 3700+ works great 2500MHz no problem
1 year or so after vista is out I might change to dual core when I see a clear advantage... I play games or surf the net

I imagine games will really take advantage of dual core someday
March 5, 2006 10:49:39 PM

Cliffhucker :D 

I've been following this thread since it's beginning. Fascinating what everyone is saying to you :)  Here are some more important considerations for your "new" system config:
1. Whichever WinOS you use, you'll have a MAJOR disk frag problem develop over time ... to the point that you'll "feel" as though you're back on your Athlon 800 again! No bull! The MS defrag tool built-in CANNOT accomplish the defrag needed to fully restore file I/O speeds. So, the ONLY solution I'm aware of (and, it works in spades) is DiskKeeper v10 Premium edition ... worth the $100 'cause running it on a system (NT/2K/XP) that's seen service of 8-12 months continuously will speed the "response-time feel" by a minimum of two CPU speed steps!

2. File I/O ... all else being equal it's THE determinant for keyboard response, so I'd recommend WD Raptors ... fastest CHEAPEST HD's available AND, like Micron, WD offers and HONORS a five year warranty ... I've got three of 'em. Last year I broke off the SATA connector on two 36GB Raptors, while fishing around in close quarters inside thhe case. WD replaced both drives with no questions asked! Do not worry about the SATA 150 vs 300 BS ... unless you are running a web server, or office server, you COULD NOT EVER see-feel the difference in I/0.

3. Do not "fall for" the hype about various thermal paste-pad compounds used for attaching the HSF to the CPU. Anyone who thinks that they are smarter than the OEM engineers has sh*t for brains! Some of the stuff in the market "claims" superior performance as compared to OEM stuff, BUT their stuff (Artic Silver) turns epoxy-like under prolonged heating, so removing a CPU ('ya gotta pull the HSF to release the ZIF socket lock lever) means twisting the HSF in the attempt to remove it ... thus, BREAKING OFF CPU pins ... now, the CPU and maybe 'da MOBO be totally fucked :evil: 

Have fun Cliffhucker ... you're getting diverse input from this forum, but only YOU can discern fact from fiction in your circumstance, so enjoy the experience :D 
March 5, 2006 10:50:39 PM

AGREED with YourBestFriend ....

And Same i might also upgrade to Dual core when prices drop and if its gonna be better!

Go AMD :D 

lol
March 5, 2006 11:01:54 PM

ecosoft,

Thanks.

No doubt I have gotten a vast array of suggestions.
That is to be expected cuz there is no right aswer, unless I have a very very specific need.

I take it all with a grain of salt. All the replies are definately usefull in helping me make an educated decision. Though, it is not easy.

About the paste. Doesnt the CPU or Mobo come with factory paste? Should I definetly order some (or are you saying none is needed) when I order my CPU,MOBO,VID Card etc? What kind?

Do you work for DiskKeeper v10 Premium edition?

I keep my Athlon 800 relatively/surprisingly fast considering. I defrag often and run RegCleaner, CC Cleaner, EasyCleaner, Adware, Spybot and jv16 and they all clear stuff off. My system seems as fasst or faster than it did when I got it (late 2000).

Thanks for following the thread and replying.

Clifffucker
March 5, 2006 11:04:33 PM

Quote:
ecosoft,

Thanks.

No doubt I have gotten a vast array of suggestions.
That is to be expected cuz there is no right aswer, unless I have a very very specific need.

I take it all with a grain of salt. All the replies are definately usefull in helping me make an educated decision. Though, it is not easy.

About the paste. Doesnt the CPU or Mobo come with factory paste? Should I definetly order some (or are you saying none is needed) when I order my CPU,MOBO,VID Card etc? What kind?

Do you work for DiskKeeper v10 Premium edition?

I keep my Athlon 800 relatively/surprisingly fast considering. I defrag often and run RegCleaner, CC Cleaner, EasyCleaner, Adware, Spybot and jv16 and they all clear stuff off. My system seems as fasst or faster than it did when I got it (late 2000).

Thanks for following the thread and replying.

Clifffucker

:p 
LOL ^^ ur name mate ! lol cliff-fucker

typo
March 5, 2006 11:54:46 PM

Cliffhucker :) 

I'm a retired EE (electronics) who has "fun" dinkin' around with PC's ... I go back to the DEC PDP-8 days :D  when software coding was restricted to 32K memory and a 64K mem system with a 5MB HD was "killer".

As for "do I work for DiskKeeper?" ..NO :)  I'm about "what works"! MS swe is a genuine pig when it comes to disk management. I do lots of Photoshop, SoundForge, Lotus Suites stuff and, as a consequence my multi-drive file system get fragged beyond (rational) comprehension. Over time I discovered that no matter what "utilities" I used for sys maintenance, the response times would only improve marginally, so I did some serious research and found DiskKeeper ... never having had been a sys admin professionally, I didn't know about those guys, but a fellow in Sweden turned me onto them. Why don't you go here http://www.diskeeper.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp and read what they have to say ... what I say is that prior to installing-using DK10 my response times felt like moving through molassas in January ... I've got every tool you mentioned plus a bunch more. If, after years of use your system still feels as fast as new, then you OBVIOUSLY don't use a ton of swe apps, thus never fragging up your MFT ... DK10 defragments the Master File Table (MFT). The MFT is a critical section of Windows NTFS volumes and when it gets fragged the sys response is slower than all get out.

As for the "paste" issue ... just use the CPU-HSF as delivered (AMD employs a thermal pad) Then, if you ever remove the HSF you'll need to A.) clean the CPU and HSF base with alcohol and B.) apply a super thin layer of goop to the CPU ... I use RadioShack silicone heatsink compound and it's ALWAYS worked perfectly and is cheaper than any of the geek stuff ... also meets AMD tech specs :) 

What OS are you using? Do you plan a clean OS install for the new machine?? (recommended)

What's your "final" config look like?
March 6, 2006 1:02:04 AM

The 3700+sandy kicks a$$. If i was u and ur not into gaming i would get the 3800+x2. I , my self opted for the 3700 because is mostly gaming and games will not be usin multi thread apps for a coup years at least. If ur not plannin on upgrading in the next 2-4 yrs, get the x2 and be done with it. The 3700 has the bigger cache(although that only means so much) and has the sandy core which is a good oc'er. U trin to replace case and everything here is a budget combo case/psu, though i hate the open window.

For a lil more can get these 2.

Also for some good memory, i perfer corsair, good pair for that mobo is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

If u want to check on compatibility for corsair, check this site.

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/configurator_searc...

If ur planin on keepin the case and psu for anytime in the future i would sugest what i got .a lian li and antec.

Just to see the benchis on the procs check this link out.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_al...

The asus AN8-E is a good board, noisy chipset fan, but is the NF4u. and they have been changin for a better fan. can get a heatsink to solve though. is a good price at 72.00

course u will need to get the cables or ur drives.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item...

a good and cheap heatsink for the n brdg chp is this one, and quite(no fan)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

Like i said, if u not gonna do upgrade in future, go with the 3800x2, is just a lil more. But anything over 3000 is gonna blow ur 800 away.
March 6, 2006 7:27:43 AM

Quote:
sleepdeprived82,

Dual core seems to be the way but the XT3800 doe not seem to perform at most things besided multitasking than the 3700SD.
at least looking at the differnt scenarios here:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...

It seems as though unless you are going to go with a faster dual core like the XT4800, the 3700SD is better.
Or unless all you do is multi task.

Is looking at multiple web pages considered multi taskig?

Yep the sandy is seconds faster than the x2, however look at the xvid benchmarks which is multicore patched and you will see the x2 is 1min 30sec faster. That is the future, more programmes will become mutlithreaded and take adavantage of dual cores. This will give the x2 a huge advantage over the 3700.

I agree that the 3700 is a very nice chip, but the market is going dual core even quad will be around soon.

Going single core now will save you a few seconds here and there, going dual core in six months time will save you minutes.
Most people seem to recommend the sandy for overclocking which you dont do, the x2 will also overclock nicely if you ever did start overclocking.

The AMD heatsink comes with a thermal pad instead of thermal compound which is more than good enough.

All modern AMDs run super cool, be it single or dual core.

Im going to disagree about the raptor, ok it would be nice but for the overage user is totally overkill. A decent 7200rpm drive comes very close to a raptor in most benchmarks plus you get a larger capicity and its cheaper.
!