captainspork

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
Recently my computer got iced by a power surge and my processor got blown. I picked up an ASRock motherboard with AGP and PCI-E so I could reuse my 9800 pro. I also got an Athlon 64 3700+ san diego. When I rebuilt my computer it still didn't work. Turns out my video card got killed too. So now I'm RMAing that ASRock motherboard and getting an Asus A8N-E instead (i've always used Asus in the past, that ASRock mobo just couldn't match Asus in quailty and features).

I've been a little out of the loop as far as video card performance goes lately. Is this a good buy or can anyone recomend something better for <$300?

Thanks

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Damn good buy.....

Its a done deal at 265$, you cant lose and its clocked nearly as high as a 7800GT can go on stock cooling.

pauldh

Illustrious
Best card for under $300 has to point you to a 7800GT for now. I bought the same card a couple weeks ago for $256 shipped after $20 rebate(zipzoomfly). It's as good as you will get for the money.

The X850XT could save you $100 and still offer 6800U or better performance. To me that card offers more bang for the buck than the 7800GT even. But if you are willing to spend $270, grab the GT.

Battleofcarnage

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
7800gt is good choice and especially from evga cause of there lifetime warranty that even "unofficialy" covers ocing. Thats what i am most likely going to get because i got the asrock board with both pcie and agp and i am using my old 9600 256mb atlantis lol. But do have 3700+ sandiego just like you. I am waiting on buying the 7800gt to see what happens witht the 7900gt in less than a week i believe, and if it is alot faster or pushes prices down then i will be happy. If your thinking about the x850xt i wouldn't go that way because it may get the same performance in a couple of games and owned in the rest but it is also using old graphics stuff that is not as hard on the card. the 7800gt has this stuff and if your turned it off it would be even faster. I believe for a little more that it is a lot better deal.