Excel files not update when transferred

pianomanss87

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Hello,
I change date in my excel file. I drag it to an SD card for back up or put it on my network to share with my other computers. The new changes are not saved in the transfered files. I must delete the old file on the SD card or the networked computers first.

Solution

Don't forget to try different files also, that will narrow down the issue from a rights issue on the drive to something specific with Excel, or maybe the files you are working with.

Speaking of rights issues, you may not have Modify rights to the files. That would prevent you from over-writing them even if you can delete them. Check the security settings, make sure all rights are checked off for your account.

pianomanss87

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

I am working on my Excel data base. When I am done I close the program and it asks if I want to save changes. I say Yes. Then I put the file on my SD card for back up. It asks if I want to overwrite the old file with the new file. I say yes. But the old file remains on the SD card. It did not save the changes that I made. I also have 3 computers networked. I also put the file on the network but the old file remains. The updated file is not save. I have to delete the old Excel files first and than put the new file on the SD card and the network. Why are the new upgrades saved and how can I fix it.

pianomanss87

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

HI Hang. It happens with any Excel spread sheet that I am using. None of them up grade when I transfer the file. If I make changes to the file and save with the new changes than put the file on the SD card it will ask if I want to overrwrite to old file and I say yes but it does not overwite the file. I use Excel for a number of spread sheets and this happens with all of them.

Does this happen with ANY file though? Let's ignore Excel for now. Make a text file on the network, then make one on your PC with different content, can you copy it over just fine and see the differences in the text file?

Do you get any messages after you click Yes to overwrite the file? What if you do a "Save As" and save it directly to the flash drive or network drive, does it save the file then?

Don't forget to try different files also, that will narrow down the issue from a rights issue on the drive to something specific with Excel, or maybe the files you are working with.

Speaking of rights issues, you may not have Modify rights to the files. That would prevent you from over-writing them even if you can delete them. Check the security settings, make sure all rights are checked off for your account.

Solution

pianomanss87

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

I deleted all the old files and clicked and draged the original file to the SD card. Open the original file made some changes and clicked save. Dragged the file with the changes to the SD card. It asked if I wanted to overwight I said yes and the changes were made. Not sure why but at the moment all is well. I changed the security settings last night to all rights. Guess I will have to see how it goes. Thanks for your time and your help.

Piano Man