1 gig rambus 800
ti4600 geforce 4
400 watt power supply

anmt changing the comp till end of year
but as this system will be kept as media center
i would like to put a good modern card in it to
run the games coming out till i get the new machine

unfortunatly the board is on 4x agp
it was state of the art when i bought an still runs well for everything but latest games
March 5, 2006 8:25:10 PM

Quote:
currently i have an
intel d850mv board
2gig p4
1 gig rambus 800
ti4600 geforce 4
400 watt power supply

anmt changing the comp till end of year
but as this system will be kept as media center
i would like to put a good modern card in it to
run the games coming out till i get the new machine

unfortunatly the board is on 4x agp
it was state of the art when i bought an still runs well for everything but latest games

You would be wasting money and forfeiting the 7800GS' power, but you can do it. Get one of the cards above, they are a better deal.
March 5, 2006 8:26:46 PM

i realise that but there is only a 30 euro difference between the 2 cards

XFX GeForce 6800GS 256MB GDDR3, AGP8X, Dual-DVI-I/Tv-Out, Retail
€269.00

Club3D GeForce 7800GS 256MB GDDR3 AGP, DVI, Video out
€298.00

Club 3D 7800GS 256MB

PERFORMANCE:
• 375MHz NVIDIA® G70 GPU
• 1200MHz 256BIT memory
• 256MB GDDR3 memory
• 400MHz RAMDAC
• 16 DirectX® 9.0 pixel-pipelines
• 8x AGP

Features:
• NVIDIA® CineFX™ 4.0 Technology
• NVIDIA® PureVideo™ Technology
• NVIDIA® nView™ multi-display Technology
• NVIDIA® Intellysample™ 4.0 Technology
• NVIDIA® UltraShadow™ II Technology
• Accelerated 64-Bit Texture Filtering and Blending
• Full support for DirectX® 9.0
• Shader Model 3.0
• VertexShaders 3.0 (U8, FP16, FP32)
• PixelShaders 3.0 (FP32)
• HDR Rendering Engine
• Support for unlimited shader lengths
• S-video output
• cvbs output
• DVI digital resolution up to 1900x1200
• HDTV-out up to 1920x1080i (through DVI)

and as this is the last card that will go in the system
also when she becomes a media centre it will be connected to pro a 40" high def lcd

i dont suppose that its possible to get a p4 rambus board any more
that way id grab an 8x version

would u still go for the 6800gs ?
Related resources
March 5, 2006 8:41:05 PM

I disagree with these guys. I think the 7800GS is a good choice. I realize your cpu will have fun trying to keep this card fed, but you'd have the same situation with the 6800. It will kick some serious butt. And when you you look at the wattage (and cooling) required, I'd go with the newest card. You'll feel like you've built a monster (for a while at least, but that would still happen even if you built an ace).
March 5, 2006 8:50:09 PM

Quote:
I disagree with these guys. I think the 7800GS is a good choice. I realize your cpu will have fun trying to keep this card fed, but you'd have the same situation with the 6800. It will kick some serious butt. And when you you look at the wattage (and cooling) required, I'd go with the newest card. You'll feel like you've built a monster (for a while at least, but that would still happen even if you built an ace).

That is true, but you will get the exact same performance from a lower card because the AGP slot is a bottleneck. If you want to pay extra to feel good, or to have the best AGP card there is and is likely to ever be, then go ahead. I would rather save the money.
March 5, 2006 8:57:18 PM

That is true, but you will get the exact same performance from a lower card because the AGP slot is a bottleneck.

Bet you wouldn't, either. The 7800 is by far the better designed card. Between the extra pipelines, and the cooler running, I bet you get a few extra fps. And the picture is much prettier. And as for the money, that's a personal choice.
March 5, 2006 8:59:30 PM

Oh, and as for the AGP "bottleneck", no cpu even comes close to maxing out the agp slot. Maybe on a 4x he'll occasionally hit the wall, but that'll be rare, and would happen with any card he installed.
March 5, 2006 9:22:40 PM

Quote:
Oh, and as for the AGP "bottleneck", no cpu even comes close to maxing out the agp slot. Maybe on a 4x he'll occasionally hit the wall, but that'll be rare, and would happen with any card he installed.

The CPU doesn't affect the AGP slot. It is based on the AGP slot speed (for 4x, 133MBPS with a peak of 1066MBps), the card speed, and loosely on the FSB speed (depending on if its locked or not).

Saying nothing can max out the AGP slot is just wrong, many PCI-E cards can do so, including the full 7800GT. Every review I have seen state the the 7800GS pushes the limits of AGP 8X, and even then is only on average 5 FPS faster than the 6800 Ultra, the difference will be small enough not to notice in a 4X board.

Like I said, it's your money, however, I would save it and use it somewhere else, and if you shop arounf, you ought to be able to find a cheaper 6800 series.
March 5, 2006 10:00:06 PM

The CPU doesn't affect the AGP slot.

You are right, and you are still wrong, anyway. The cpu feeds the video to the card, and it absolutely has an effect. It doesn't change the maximum throughput, but it shovels the data as fast as it can. A 3ghz cpu will keep a 7800 fed with data, a 2ghz will occasionally not be able to keep up. The AGP slot will very rarely ever be "full", even for a second. You put two rigs next to each other, one with a 4x slot, and a 8x slot, and run something like Unreal Tournament, you will never see a difference. With a game like BF2, you just might see a little hiccupping with the 4xslot, but it will look just as good. Just a couple of fps slower.
March 5, 2006 10:12:03 PM

Straight GHz isn't even a valid measure of CPU performance anymore, since a 2.0 GHz AMD is about the same as a 3GHz Intel. You are going to try to tell me that a 2GHz CPU with a 1 GHZ (one-way) bus has trouble overloading a 266MHz AGP slot? Where do you come up with that?

There are a lot of cases where your two rigs situation is true, and you won't notice a difference, it depends a lot on the card and the game. If you put a 6800 GS in that 4x board, and a 7800 GS, you would not be able to tell the difference without the aid of a benchmark. And at least here in America, the 6800 GS is half as much.

BTW, I am pretty sure that there are certain situations on Hyper Transport in which the CPU can be bypassed completely and the data fed directly to the Vid Card. I could be wrong on this last point, I just seem to remeber weeing it somewhere.
March 5, 2006 10:27:14 PM

Straight GHz isn't even a valid measure of CPU performance anymore

No one said it was. I said that two identical systems (except one with a 4x and one with an 8x agp slot) will show no difference in picture quality, or even in framerate, except on extremely high density video.

You said he should save the money and use it somewhere else. Read his post. All he's buying is a video card. And he will get much better service from the 7800. He will get a much better picture from the extra pixel shader pipelines (which will allow him to run games at very high aa/af), and also from the fact the 7800 is a shader model 3 card, and the 6800 is a shader model 2 card. Any time you can get a more future-proof component and get at least the same performance, take it. And if I want the more expensive component, and I'm a little short, I'll work a couple extra weekends until I get what I want. You will never regret getting the gold, but you will often kick yourself if all you get is the bronze.
March 5, 2006 10:34:07 PM

BTW, I am pretty sure that there are certain situations on Hyper Transport in which the CPU can be bypassed completely and the data fed directly to the Vid Card. I could be wrong on this last point, I just seem to remeber weeing it somewhere.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
What????????????
March 5, 2006 10:46:13 PM

Quote:
Straight GHz isn't even a valid measure of CPU performance anymore

No one said it was. I said that two identical systems (except one with a 4x and one with an 8x agp slot) will show no difference in picture quality, or even in framerate, except on extremely high density video.

You said he should save the money and use it somewhere else. Read his post. All he's buying is a video card. And he will get much better service from the 7800. He will get a much better picture from the extra pixel shader pipelines (which will allow him to run games at very high aa/af), and also from the fact the 7800 is a shader model 3 card, and the 6800 is a shader model 2 card. Any time you can get a more future-proof component and get at least the same performance, take it. And if I want the more expensive component, and I'm a little short, I'll work a couple extra weekends until I get what I want. You will never regret getting the gold, but you will often kick yourself if all you get is the bronze.

The 6800 is a Shader model 3 card, see here, all Nvidia series 6 and 7 and ATI series X1X00 cards support SM3. That is why I say you will see very little difference. The limiting factor here is not the card, but the port.

Even If he is not buying any other components, is he not allowed to use it anywhere else? Here in the US, I could use the $140 dollars difference to take my wife somewhere nice and out to dinner, which would bring me a lot more enjoyment than the difference between the two cards would.

If AGP is not a bottle neck, then why change to PCI-E at all?? And don't say its to force people to upgrade.
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2006 10:46:31 PM

I disagree with you and don't feel AGP 4X will do much to a 7800GS's performance at gameable settings. Rarely does a 6800U get bottlenecked by running it in 4X as opposed to 8X. I did testing on an A64 4000+ & 6800U and saw little difference whatsoever between the two. Mostly under 1 fps. Also, OC'in the 6800U gave a boost just like when in 8X.

However, his P4 2.0GHz will be a bottleneck in many games. So I say a 6800GS would be a better match because of his CPU limitations, not because of AGP 4X. Give the modest savings based on his pricing, I'd go 7800GS though. Here in the USA at our prices, I'd look for a 6800GS.
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2006 10:54:12 PM

Quote:
If AGP is not a bottle neck, then why change to PCI-E at all?? And don't say its to force people to upgrade.

We have been through this many times. No current AGP card performs any slower than it's identical PCI-e counterpart. As a matter of fact, with AGP fastwrites, the AGP systems often slightly beat out the PCI-e system. Even the X850XTpe is just as fast or possibly a tad faster in an NF3U AGP rig as it is in a NF4U PCI-e rig. The AGP bus is not being saturated. It would happen someday as the cards get more powerful, but I'd would not be surprised honestly if a X1900XT couldn't saturate the AGP 8X bus if they made an identical AGP version.
March 5, 2006 10:56:17 PM

Quote:

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
What????????????

Well, that would seem to be what this article implies: "With the advent of AGP, the GPU can also access a portion of the system memory directly."

As I said, I am not real sure about the details. I jsut remeber seeing references to it.
March 5, 2006 11:01:32 PM

You are right about the Processor being a bottle neck in new games, I got kinda distracted from his initial posting.

I still don't think there would be a noticable difference (maybe 5-10fps as per my earlier references), which is what it comes down to. As you said, if he can't find better pricing in Europe, then go with the better card, in the US, I wouldn't waste my money.
March 5, 2006 11:06:14 PM

fraid i amnt in the us but in ireland
this is where im looking at
http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10413&sortBy=p&minpr...
as basically no shipping costs

if the 6800gs was half the price id go for it
but its the 30 euro difference that is making me aim for the higher end card
there is the possibly i will come across a cheap agp system that would be an upgrade on mine secondhand etc
Pauldh where are u getting your price info for the 6800gs agp at half the 7800gs agp ?
March 5, 2006 11:10:08 PM

But that is the major reason at this time. (You're correct on the sm3, I was thinking of ATI.) But the extra pixel pipelines are enough of a reason to go for the upgrade. Running 4x or 8x anti-aliasing is a huge difference in picture quality, and it isn't dependent on the speed of the video card slot, or cpu speed.
The fact is, at this time, no game saturates the 8x agp slot. (Go read Maximum PC.) They most certainly will, within a year, maybe. But who cares? The only time anyone really cares about absolute maximum framerate is in a deathmatch against real people, and in that case, the gearheads lower their resolution and turn off aa/af anyway.

At the price differential he quotes, no way would I go for the lesser.
March 5, 2006 11:20:29 PM

At the prices quoted I agree, buy the better one (you are getting screwed on prices by the way). I was working on the assumption that he may be able to find a better price ratio somewhere.

Depending on his resolution, The 6800 GS should be able to run most games at high quality anyway, including 4x/8x anti-aliasing (at least at 1024 x 768).
March 5, 2006 11:25:40 PM

Sorry, but I haven't run 1024 x 768 since about 1999. The 30 inch lcd I'm using has a native resolution of 1366 x 1024, and while it's a gorgeous picture, I hate the relatively low resolution.
March 5, 2006 11:33:00 PM

Good for you, Everyone has their own preferences on gaming. I am generally perfectly happy with 1280 x 1024 or 1024 x 768 on my 19" LCD for most games.

I did just notice his HTPC 40" LCD comment though, in which case I would say spend the extra $30.

This may be a dumb question, but OP, do you have a 1.5V AGP slot or a 3.3V one??
March 5, 2006 11:33:16 PM

Same here. I'm getting a 7800GS for my AGP4x system, and even if the bus turns out to be the limiting factor at 1024x768, it's highly unlikely to be the limiting factor at 1600x1200 with any game more sophisticated than Quake 3.

Quote:
OP, do you have a 1.5V AGP slot or a 3.3V one??

I believe AGP4x boards with intel chipsets are 1.5V only.
March 5, 2006 11:49:34 PM

I don't know about Intel chipsets, but I have see a few AMD 4x boards at 3.3V, thats why I asked.

Like I said, it was a pretty stupid question.

Personally, I am probably going to upgrade from an AIW 9800 Pro to a PCI-e based X850XT for about $165 in the near future.
March 6, 2006 12:23:07 AM

I thought about the X850XT, but they seem harder to get in the UK that the 7800GS, and SM3.0 is likely to be more useful in future than it has been up to now. Plus I run Avid editing software and that doesn't like ATI cards much.

I'm pretty sure that AGP4x only runs at 1.5V, but some chipsets also supported 3.3V for older AGP cards at 1x and maybe 2x. I'm also pretty sure that Intel chipsets didn't as I remember reading warnings about not putting old cards into my 845 motherboard because disagreements about voltages could cause permanent damage.

There's a page here which claims to list AGP support for different chipsets and cards:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

According to that the 850 chipset is 1.5V only like the 845, and the 7800GS can run at 1.5V.
March 6, 2006 12:28:29 AM

Yeah, I would like to get SM3, but I want to stay with ATI for Driver reasons, so to get SM3 and Decent performance, I am limited to X1800 and above, which is cost prohibitive. I don't think the X1600 Series is as good as the x850XT overall, so I am thinking that route.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2006 12:53:24 AM

Quote:
Pauldh where are u getting your price info for the 6800gs agp at half the 7800gs agp ?

Um, I don't recall making a comment like that. Must have been someone else.

All I said was at his prices which only 30 Euros separates them, I'd go for the 7800GS. But at our USA prices, (roughly $100 seperates the two cards: $200-6800GS & $300-7800GS), so I'd go for the 6800GS or a $200 X800GTO.
March 6, 2006 1:03:15 AM

I said that, but I mistyped. Its actually the 6800 that is half is much. Pauldh is right, the GS in the US is $200 compared to $300 for the 7800 GS.
March 6, 2006 9:39:47 AM

I am generally perfectly happy with 1280 x 1024 or 1024 x 768 on my 19" LCD

Which is the native resolution? LCD's only have one good setting. That's why I hate the odd res of my monitor. You'd be better off running native without aa than running an interpolated res with it. You're gonna have a lot better picture.
March 6, 2006 4:30:43 PM

I would if my vid card could handle it at least. I run Windows in native 1280 by 1024, but most newer games, my 9800 pro doesn't do so well at that res.
March 6, 2006 5:25:05 PM

im getting really tired of two things on this forum, one being the AMB dry humping everyone is doing. I myself have owned INTEL, AMD , MOTOROLA and IBM processors and i find EACH have there advantages at certian stages. Intel up to the second revision fo the P4 amd for the last year has been the king, IBM still has the best server option when mixed with Apple because of its OS and freescale the best laptop with apple because of is OS. Yes i know Intel has a new laptop with apple but i ahve yet to use it so i dont have a valid oppinion.

the AMD fan boy stuff really needs to stop, cause i can see all of you jumping ship when intel regains there lead.

also im tired of ppl hating on other peoples ideals.

I myself used a 2400xpm with a 9600se on a 4x agp slot and ran HL2 with everything on regular setting and got 50 fps

in CS:S i got over 70 fps

after that i upgraded to a A64 3500 with a x1800xt

did i see any difference to warent the 1200$ upgraded NO!

my 2400XPM served its time like im VERY sure your p4 2.0 will serve its time. DOnt listen to these amd, nvidia fan boys do what your pocket book can afford and what you find to be the best fit.

F- these nubz that try to influence your decisions with there biased oppinions. there just saying what everyone in this forum wants to hear, not exactlly what is best suited for the person.
March 6, 2006 5:38:28 PM

You must have pretty thin patience to get so tired after just one post. :lol: 

I don't think anyone here was showing any kind of fanboyism at all, and for the most part we were discussing what the best options for the OP are. That is what he asked for.

If you are going to climb up on a soapbox and preach, then do it in a thread that deserves it.

BTW, if you can't see a difference between a 9600SE card and an X1800XT, then you got something seriously wrong with your machine.
March 6, 2006 7:06:53 PM

hergieburbur im sorry but my statement was a general one , not biased to this thread.

p.s i dont play doom 3 or anyother game besides UT 2005 ,cs 1.6 and cs:s

i dont have time to but UT 2007 is comming out :) 
March 6, 2006 7:16:40 PM

understood.

you should really go post something like that in one of the "My AMD is better than you Intel cause it starts with A and A comes before I" forums. I'm sure it will be amusing :twisted:
March 6, 2006 7:44:54 PM

A sub-$200 6800 GS or X800 GTO are good for your system.

Even spending the $240 for a 16-pipe X800 XL is pushing it.

It's just not worth it spending that cash on upgrading AGP when PCI-express mobos and 7800 GTs are so cheap.
March 6, 2006 7:55:48 PM

YES
March 6, 2006 10:44:09 PM

Quote:
It's just not worth it spending that cash on upgrading AGP when PCI-express mobos and 7800 GTs are so cheap.

For you, perhaps: the rest of us may have other priorities.

In my case, I don't want to spend two to three times as much to replace motherboard, CPU, RAM and other odds and ends when I can just replace the graphics card: particularly as this machine will go to my girlfriend when I build a new PCI-Express machine next year. Replacing most of the guts of a machine that works is just a waste of money when a graphics upgrade is all it will need to run pretty much any game that's released in that time decently at 1280x1024 or above.

Quote:
I myself used a 2400xpm with a 9600se on a 4x agp slot and ran HL2 with everything on regular setting and got 50 fps

Presumably not at 1600x1200 with 4xAA.

Quote:
did i see any difference to warent the 1200$ upgraded NO!

Then you should try running at a real resolution. If you're happy with 1024x768 then there's no point buying a fast graphics card.
March 7, 2006 9:24:48 AM

F- these nubz that try to influence your decisions with there biased oppinions. there just saying what everyone in this forum wants to hear,

While I haven't posted here for long, I assure you I'm no newbie. I've been doing this longer than most of you guys have been alive, I'll betcha. I've started out on a DEC8, which had to be booted up manually. Do you even know what that entails? It didn't even accept paper tape until it was booted properly, then you could load the OS. And as for what everyone wants to hear, I've had cards from AMD and ATI. A 9600XT I'm still running in one computer kicks butt, but it hiccups really annoyingly on HL2. That's not my opinion, thems just facts. It does have a gorgeous picture, if you must have an opinion.

If you're happy with 1024x768 then there's no point buying a fast graphics card.

That's been my point all along, but instead I've had to argue with guys who look like they'd be happy in the "Commodore 64 Club". Not that there's anything wrong with that. But buys, this is TMG, not PC world. This is the only site that competes with Maximum PC. And if you want the cleanest, most beatiful picture, the 7800 will get it for you. I could list the reasons, but I already have. Don't get me wrong, the 6800 will do fine. Who really needs their woman to be a "9" or a "10"? A "6" is okay for most guys, right?
March 7, 2006 9:35:11 AM

I've had cards from AMD and ATI.

Obviously, I meant nvidia and ati. I'm not hungover. Really.
March 7, 2006 1:53:44 PM

Quote:
For you, perhaps: the rest of us may have other priorities.

What, your priority isn't game performance?

Then why do you want a 7800 GS?

Seriously, get a 6800 GS for $100 less and you'll still see a gigantic increase over your 4600.

Find an AGP 6800 GS with unlockable pipes and high clocks, and you've got performance parity with the 7800 GS.
Hell, people sell unlocked 16-pipe 6800's on ebay for less than $200 all the time.

The 7800 GS is such a waste.
March 7, 2006 5:28:29 PM

Quote:
What, your priority isn't game performance?

Uh, no.

My priority is the best AGP game performance today and for the next couple of years, _without compromising reliability or longevity_. I do real work on this machine -- the video editing/effects and 3D software is probably worth four times as much as the hardware cost -- and I'm not going to risk crashes and lockups by overclocking or unlocking pipelines that may well be defective. A pre-overclocked card with hand-picked chips and a warranty is fine, but I'm not going to buy some hacked card with no warranty off Ebay just to save a few bucks.

I'd agree, BTW, that the 'standard' 7800GS isn't a great deal, but the pre-overclocked cards don't cost much more and give a decent performance boost without voiding the warranty. To me that's worth the extra $50 or whatever the current cost difference may be.
March 7, 2006 5:33:22 PM

Its pretty unrealistic at this stage of the game to expect anything AGP to give you "best AGP game performance today and for the next couple of years, _without compromising reliability or longevity_." AGP is pretty close to dead, and many analysts feel that the 7800GS will be the last high-end card to be released for it.
March 7, 2006 6:12:32 PM

Uh, yes, it is.

Your priority isn't "game performance", it's "the best AGP game performance today and for the next couple of years, _without compromising reliability or longevity_."?

Sounds the same to me, only worse because you're fooling yourself into believing you're purchasing some king of long-term technology guarantee.

7800 technology is exactly the same SM 3.0 tech used in the 6800 series, brute forced with more transistors, but the same. Still has the limitation of no HDR and AA at the same time. The only real advance is transparent AA. At the end of the day, a 7800 GS is an overclocked 6800 GT.

If you want longevity, then go PCI-express. You can spend more on hardware that will be obsolete sooner - turfing your longevity - or you can invest in true reliability and longevity.

Your 3d and video editing software has nothing to do with it really. Not sure why you'd mention it. Alot of us do 3d and video work for a living, hell I've even designed and modelled for a commercial game or two myself. If that was your chief concern you should be looking at a quadro.

But whatever. You're married to overspending on a platform that's on the doorstep of obsolescence. Go to town, but remember this conversation in 10 months when your 'longevity' decision to get a 16-pipe card with basically identical technology to the two-year-old 6800 is quickly spiralling down the crapper, the performance of which will be killed by sub $200 cards you can't plug into your motherboard.
March 7, 2006 8:59:11 PM

sorry for not getting back sooner had a couple of nightshifs
the agp port is 1.5 volts
as for upgrading to pci express ill be dooing that later in the year
but it will be a complete system ill be building
will be heading amds way unless intel pull something out of the hat before then
the machine i have is running great and a lot faster that other more modern machines that come into my houes
i put a lot of that down to the rambus

however going back to the graphics card question ill be going the 7800gs route becauseits the best card out there at the moment and i may come across a cheap box with a faster chip and 8x that i can put it into

even if i dont that 30euro id save isnt the be all and end all
frame rate also isnt the be all an end all but the card does have the latest advances in hd for graphic cards and as that is what the machine will end up as the extra 30 euro is worth it

i do appreciate all the comments and the time and thought put in to the different replies

i think back to when i built the machine and had to order in the processor as nobody in the country had one and the 4600 was the fasts card in the market ,it cost serious money to put together what i got

the next machine willl also be the best and fast that i can buy not because i am made of money (morgage and 3 kids) but i wll get longlivity out of it
March 7, 2006 10:30:53 PM

If you want longevity, then go PCI-express. You can spend more on hardware that will be obsolete sooner - turfing your longevity - or you can invest in true reliability and longevity.

And do what, throw all our old hardware away? I agree that building fresh is best, but it's not always necessary. He's giving this one to his lady when he's ready to build his barn-burner. And until then, he'll be able to play the latest games with lots of eye-candy. Then he'll do what I'm going to do - build the latest and greatest. As I've done every couple of years for a long time.
March 7, 2006 10:49:29 PM

Exactly. Why spend lots of money upgrading now to PCI-Express when I'd have to throw it away in eighteen months to upgrade again?

Particularly when the current system works with all kinds of fancy software which is rather choosy about the hardware it's run on. I've no guarantee it would be as happy on a new motherboard, particularly a cheap one.
March 8, 2006 9:32:52 AM

Just one small detail: it's not going to run as fast or as clean as the one you want to build. You will not be able to run 1600 x 1200 with aa/af turned up. Well maybe with UT or something like that. But Doom3 or HL2, nah. And Battlefield 2? Forget about it. But it'll still be gorgeous, and unless you've got a friend with a top-of-the-line screamer with which to compare, you won't know the diff.
March 8, 2006 9:45:24 AM

Quote:
You will not be able to run 1600 x 1200 with aa/af turned up. Well maybe with UT or something like that. But Doom3 or HL2, nah.

In that case it will be a downgrade, because my 9500 Pro ran Half-Life 2 at 1600x1200 with 4xAA. I had to turn AA off in some of the later levels, but it managed most of the game at a playable speed with AA on... which surprised me, I wasn't even sure it was going to run at 1600x1200 without AA.

Hopefully the courier will actually turn up today so I can find out how well it runs :) .
March 8, 2006 10:37:15 AM

Well cut my arms off and call me clothespin. I'm wrong, again. That's twice this decade.

On one of my machines, I've got a 2500+ and a 9600xt, and it hiccups at that res. You do any tweaking to get yours to smoke like that?
March 8, 2006 3:02:55 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Why spend lots of money upgrading now to PCI-Express when I'd have to throw it away in eighteen months to upgrade again?

You guys are missing the point.

You're ALREADY spending lots of money upgarding to a 7800 GS.

That's why I advicate keeping your upgrade costs down with a sub-$200 6800 GS.

Sure, your hardware isn't useless, and I encourage you to upgrade it. Just don't blow the amount of cash you could spend on both a faster PCI-express card (7800 GT) and PCI-express motherboard on it at the same time by buying a 7800 GS.

You won't get the longevity you seek. You'll get almost as much longevity and save $100 with a 6800 GS, which is basically the EXACT SAME TECHNOLOGY with 4 fewer pipelines... in 18 months you'll be in the same boat with either card.
!