Compaq TFT7020

G

Just got my Compaq TFT7020 17" flat panel in today. Wow. I'm running Windows XP with ClearType enabled and the desktop, web pages, etc look fabulous!

Quake 3 based games (Q3, Wolf, etc) at 1280x1024 look awesome. Framerate at that resolution with everything on is 80-90fps and no noticeable ghosting can be seen.

Half-Life at 1024x768 runs a constant 100fps. Here ghosting CAN be seen, although it is mostly minimal. More than anything I think it is the non-native resolution that bothers. Not enough to make me go back to my CRT though. :p

This display is really great, and makes a great partner to the Radeon 8500.

I'll post more thoughts later after playing around with it some more.

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
Run HL at 1280x960 to stay in native resolution although you'll have the gaps at the top and bottom which may bother you.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Well, numerous tech reps from Eizo (well, this was a year back, so maybe they have gotten rid of that issue) have told me that one should wait 15 mins before using LCD, as that is when it reaches its true specs. Compaq manuals state the same, and color matching program state the same. Actually, would u by any chance know if this warmup time has lowered, or is not necessary any more (I am curious, as technology has advanced).

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
LCD monitors are for the most part digital, no tubes, heaters or coils that need warming. The backlights are cold cathode devices, thus the only thing heat / cool affect is response time. However most of Today’s LCDs are fast enough that you will never notice. Even the components of an analog interface will perform at cool temps. Do you wait for your CPU or memory to warm up? Also wouldn’t this defeat the purpose of the energy save modes?

I suggest you publish your source of information when you post. BTW my source is 16 + years of experience in the monitor industry.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

G

Actually, ghosting in Counter-Strike has reduced itself quite a bit in the last few hours. I did notice that the monitor was quite cold when I pulled it out of the shipping box, but now it feels moderately warm.

I've heard that cold affects LCD response times quite a bit, and now I'm a believer. This panel really does kick ass. Not a chance it will be going back!!!!

Also, here's another thought - instead of turning the LCD off, why not run it non-stop? That is ~8700 hours per year of running time. Does anyone think it could actually stand being on for 3 years?

So why not leave the display on 24/7 and get a new one when it finally goes kerplunk? Compaq warranty does cover the backlight.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Ehem, proof right there, Gosharks. Plus tech reps. Epoth, I can't stand monitor constantly on, and that would use electricity. Plus, backlights do dim as time goes on, so u wouldn't want that.

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
Proof of what? Heat/Cold affects response time, which would mean a cold monitor out of the box may have more ghosting than after it warms up.

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
True, but there's a difference between it needing to be on for 15min and needing to 'warm up'. Normal operating conditions shouldn't warrant any 'warm up' time. Never did for my LCD.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Well, that's what the Eizo tech lady said, and what the compaq manual says. Take it as u will. Actually, I use my monitor immediatly, just saying:)

G

My next project will be adding a rear-panel warmer to my 7020 so that I don't have to wait more than a minute to start playing games without ghosting. This will really be handy as my room temp is down around 50 degrees normally. :)