*HELP!* PPC Phone keeps turning itself back on...

September 29, 2004 11:41:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Please help!

I have a T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition, which for the most part is great.
However, there is one problem: After it is manually turned off (by pressing the
power button), the phone will *spontaneously* turn itself back on, necessitating
that I press the Off button again. This happens at different intervals and a
different number of times (for example: it has happened immediately after
pressing Off, although most often 5-10 minutes later, sometimes an hour later;
it may do so only once during the day, or more often, it may do so repeatedly).
It is actually problematic because when it turns itself back on, the screen
becomes touch-sensitive, and the jostling in my pocket executes various commands
at times.

Anyone else have this problem?

Any suggestions at a resolution of this issue?

Is it a hardware or ROM/software issue?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
~Alexander.

More about : ppc phone turning back

Anonymous
September 30, 2004 12:32:47 AM

¿WhyMe? wrote:

> Please help!
>
> I have a T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition, which for the most part is great.
> However, there is one problem: After it is manually turned off (by pressing the
> power button), the phone will *spontaneously* turn itself back on, necessitating
> that I press the Off button again. This happens at different intervals and a
> different number of times (for example: it has happened immediately after
> pressing Off, although most often 5-10 minutes later, sometimes an hour later;
> it may do so only once during the day, or more often, it may do so repeatedly).
> It is actually problematic because when it turns itself back on, the screen
> becomes touch-sensitive, and the jostling in my pocket executes various commands
> at times.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?
>
> Any suggestions at a resolution of this issue?
>
> Is it a hardware or ROM/software issue?
>

> THANKS IN ADVANCE!
> ~Alexander.

I have this exact same problem on my iPAQ 2215. I don't know what
triggers it, but, it will occasionally cause my PDA to run out of
battery over a long weekend (I typically keep my charger at work). I've
taken to forcing the backlight to stay off when I am done with it for
the day on weekends.

--
- Barry
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Exactly which phone and which os?

The same behaviour occurs on the i700 (2002) but only when it is on the
charger and it is triggered by the device "rediscovering" a cell
signal... you really wanted it to turn back on when you regained
coverage didn't you? ;-)

2003 has a "flight mode" that will keep the unit off. There are other
reasons why ppc devices will "wake up" such as reminders, midnight, etc.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
September 30, 2004 10:44:55 PM

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" wrote:

> Exactly which phone and which os?

I am using the T-Mobile PocketPC Phone Edition, running PPC 2003; ROM 4.01.16
ENG, dated 2/4/04; Radio version 6.25.02; Protocol version 324e4.

> The same behaviour occurs on the i700 (2002) but only when it is on the
> charger and it is triggered by the device "rediscovering" a cell
> signal...

The problem happens only slightly more frequently while in the charger -
although it happens very often while not in the charger.

It also seems unrelated to "discovering" a cell signal, as it occurs even when
the signal is strong and uninterrupted.

> There are other reasons why ppc devices will "wake up" such as reminders,
midnight, etc.

It is not related to these events.

> 2003 has a "flight mode" that will keep the unit off.

I'd hate to use this method of controlling the problem, though, because I want
to be able to receive calls. All I want is for the screen to stay off when the
Off button is pressed! ;-)
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 10:46:23 PM

"Barry L. Wallis" wrote:
> I have this exact same problem on my iPAQ 2215. I don't know what
> triggers it, but, it will occasionally cause my PDA to run out of
> battery over a long weekend (I typically keep my charger at work). I've
> taken to forcing the backlight to stay off when I am done with it for
> the day on weekends.
>
> --
> - Barry

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there w/ this problem. I guess
misery loves company. I wish I knew what would solve the problem.

~A.
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 3:07:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Could it be that you have set it for scheduled sync or scheduled email
download? Check the definitions at your Inbox accounts and at your
Activesync options in the device.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"¿WhyMe?" <amore_amaro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 7BGS9zpEHA.800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> "Barry L. Wallis" wrote:
> > I have this exact same problem on my iPAQ 2215. I don't know what
> > triggers it, but, it will occasionally cause my PDA to run out of
> > battery over a long weekend (I typically keep my charger at work). I've
> > taken to forcing the backlight to stay off when I am done with it for
> > the day on weekends.
> >
> > --
> > - Barry
>

> It's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there w/ this problem. I
guess
> misery loves company. I wish I knew what would solve the problem.
>
> ~A.

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:22:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Helio, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, this isn't the problem, either.

My PocketPC simply turns itself on, spontaneously. I don't know what causes the
problem.

I hope someone out there has an idea -- and a solution! ;-)

~Alexander.

"Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com> wrote
in message news:ulvaZiSqEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Could it be that you have set it for scheduled sync or scheduled email
> download? Check the definitions at your Inbox accounts and at your
> Activesync options in the device.
>
> --
> Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
> http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
>

> "¿WhyMe?" <amore_amaro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 7BGS9zpEHA.800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >
> > "Barry L. Wallis" wrote:
> > > I have this exact same problem on my iPAQ 2215. I don't know what
> > > triggers it, but, it will occasionally cause my PDA to run out of
> > > battery over a long weekend (I typically keep my charger at work). I've
> > > taken to forcing the backlight to stay off when I am done with it for
> > > the day on weekends.
> > >
> > > --
> > > - Barry
> >

> > It's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there w/ this problem. I
> guess
> > misery loves company. I wish I knew what would solve the problem.
> >
> > ~A.

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:59:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Say a little more about your setup... specifically;

do you subscribe to data service?

is it possible that you have an inbox service set to check email every
xx minutes?

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:41:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

No, I do not subscribe to data service; nor is it set up to check e-mail every
xx minutes. The only thing it 'checks' is SMS, but the unit turns on
irrespective of having new SMS messages.

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message
news:o DeF6WbqEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Say a little more about your setup... specifically;
>
> do you subscribe to data service?
>
> is it possible that you have an inbox service set to check email every
> xx minutes?

October 4, 2004 3:28:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

ok... I'm officially out of ideas now

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
October 10, 2004 5:49:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

What about an alert, could you have an alert set for an action that is
turning the unit on?

Terry

message news:%23e5h28iqEHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> ok... I'm officially out of ideas now

October 12, 2004 4:46:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

As far as I am able to decipher from the cryptic habits of my PocketPC, there is
no alert.

The unit turns itself on and just displays the normal start-up Today Screen.
There are no messages or alerts flashing.

Dumbfounded and frustrated,
~Alexander.

"Terry" <tntgeb@cablelynx.com> wrote in message
> What about an alert, could you have an alert set for an action that is
> turning the unit on?
>
> Terry
>
> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:%23e5h28iqEHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > ok... I'm officially out of ideas now
> >
> > Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:09:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Did anybody ever find an answer for this? I have the exact same behavior
(no repeating syncs, no change, the phone just randomly starts itself
up). Much liek the original poster, I'm running 2003, and it's mainly a
problem on the weekends, when it runs out of juice much sooner than I
expected.

In article <OT$Q8rHsEHA.3588@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, WhyMe@nospam.com
says...

!