Lost Disk Space

August 31, 2004 2:42:22 AM

I have just re-loaded Xp onto my machine to enable me to ge a clean install
of SP2 which has worked fine but I now find that my hard drive (60 GB) now
has only 8 GB of free space where as before there was over 22 GB free.
I have looked to see if there arer any large files that have been duplicated
and which could be deleted but to no avail. I have defraged the drive but I
can still not account for the exrta space being taken up on the drive.
has anyone any ideas as to what may be taking up the space and how I can
regain this space on my drive.

Howard

More about : lost disk space

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 2:42:23 AM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:42:22 +0000 (UTC), "Howard"
<Howard_key@btclick.com> wrote:
>I have just re-loaded Xp onto my machine to enable me to ge a clean install
>of SP2 which has worked fine but I now find that my hard drive (60 GB) now
>has only 8 GB of free space where as before there was over 22 GB free.
>I have looked to see if there arer any large files that have been duplicated
>and which could be deleted but to no avail. I have defraged the drive but I
>can still not account for the exrta space being taken up on the drive.
>has anyone any ideas as to what may be taking up the space and how I can
>regain this space on my drive.

I use Win2000 so this may not apply... but... the default install of
Win2000 uses a LOT of space for the recycle bin which does not show
in any of the "usual" ways of looking at the files on the drive

As I remember, I had to right click on the bin and go into properties

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 2:42:23 AM

Is "system restore" turned on? If so, the restore points saved in "system
volume information" folder is where it went.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

"Howard" <Howard_key@btclick.com> wrote in message
>I have just re-loaded Xp onto my machine to enable me to ge a clean install
>of SP2 which has worked fine but I now find that my hard drive (60 GB) now
>has only 8 GB of free space where as before there was over 22 GB free.
> I have looked to see if there arer any large files that have been
> duplicated and which could be deleted but to no avail. I have defraged the
> drive but I can still not account for the exrta space being taken up on
> the drive.
> has anyone any ideas as to what may be taking up the space and how I can
> regain this space on my drive.
>
> Howard

August 31, 2004 2:42:24 AM

"John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
| On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:42:22 +0000 (UTC), "Howard"
| <Howard_key@btclick.com> wrote:
| >I have just re-loaded Xp onto my machine to enable me to ge a clean
install
| >of SP2 which has worked fine but I now find that my hard drive (60 GB)
now
| >has only 8 GB of free space where as before there was over 22 GB free.
| >I have looked to see if there arer any large files that have been
duplicated
| >and which could be deleted but to no avail. I have defraged the drive but
| >can still not account for the exrta space being taken up on the drive.
| >has anyone any ideas as to what may be taking up the space and how I can
| >regain this space on my drive.
|
| I use Win2000 so this may not apply... but... the default install of
| Win2000 uses a LOT of space for the recycle bin which does not show
| in any of the "usual" ways of looking at the files on the drive
|
| As I remember, I had to right click on the bin and go into properties
|

| John Thomas Smith
| http://www.direct2usales.com
| http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

SequoiaView is an excellent free (and clean) utility to track down
mysterious missing drive space.

It provides a one window graphical representation of which files are taking
up how much space where on a drive, often tracking down files that Windows
is reluctant to reveal.

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

(I should add that it's fun too) :-)

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
August 31, 2004 3:56:38 PM

What you're saying doesn't make sense, no way can a fresh install of XP
consume 52GB of drive space.
Did you format and do a clean install, or just try to reinstall XP over the
top of the original?

--

johnf

> I have just re-loaded Xp onto my machine to enable me to ge a clean
> install of SP2 which has worked fine but I now find that my hard drive
> (60 GB) now has only 8 GB of free space where as before there was over
> 22 GB free. I have looked to see if there arer any large files that have
> been
> duplicated and which could be deleted but to no avail. I have defraged
> the drive but I can still not account for the exrta space being taken
> up on the drive. has anyone any ideas as to what may be taking up the
> space and how I can
> regain this space on my drive.
>
> Howard
August 31, 2004 3:56:39 PM

No I did not do a format on the disk just reinstalled over the existing XP.

"johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
> What you're saying doesn't make sense, no way can a fresh install of XP
> consume 52GB of drive space.
> Did you format and do a clean install, or just try to reinstall XP over
> the top of the original?
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
>> I have just re-loaded Xp onto my machine to enable me to ge a clean
>> install of SP2 which has worked fine but I now find that my hard drive
>> (60 GB) now has only 8 GB of free space where as before there was over
>> 22 GB free. I have looked to see if there arer any large files that have
>> been
>> duplicated and which could be deleted but to no avail. I have defraged
>> the drive but I can still not account for the exrta space being taken
>> up on the drive. has anyone any ideas as to what may be taking up the
>> space and how I can
>> regain this space on my drive.
>>
>> Howard

September 1, 2004 1:57:17 AM

First two things I'd do to is -

1. Run SequoiaView as advised, to see if there are any massive files there &
if so, what they are - it's an excellent simplistic little toy, but gives
you the big picture.
2. Download & run Advanced Space Hunter, just to see how many duplicated
files the 2nd. install has created, which is what I suspect has happened.
Just run ASH so you can see exactly what's happened, just elect to scan for
duplicate files only (results can be sorted by size)
http://www.jimjams.com/ash079.exe

Once you know exactly what the state of your drive is, then you can work out
how to resolve this problem

--

johnf

> No I did not do a format on the disk just reinstalled over the existing
> XP.
> "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> What you're saying doesn't make sense, no way can a fresh install of XP
>> consume 52GB of drive space.
>> Did you format and do a clean install, or just try to reinstall XP over
>> the top of the original?
>>
>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>>> I have just re-loaded Xp onto my machine to enable me to ge a clean
>>> install of SP2 which has worked fine but I now find that my hard drive
>>> (60 GB) now has only 8 GB of free space where as before there was over
>>> 22 GB free. I have looked to see if there arer any large files that
>>> have been
>>> duplicated and which could be deleted but to no avail. I have defraged
>>> the drive but I can still not account for the exrta space being taken
>>> up on the drive. has anyone any ideas as to what may be taking up the
>>> space and how I can
>>> regain this space on my drive.
>>>
>>> Howard
September 1, 2004 3:17:05 AM

try running Window's error checking tool ... could be lost chains..

go to my computer, right click the hard drive, go to tools tab and fire
error checking tool

Visit My Website - http://www.bootstrike.com
"Life's a bìtch when you least expect it"

!