a few questions about the X1900XT

xXDracoXx

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
First of all, how big is the card? I'm planning on getting the Antec P-150 and one of its reviews fitted a 6800 Ultra with no comment while the other fitted a 7800GT and said it was very tight. Is it bigger than the 7800GT?

Second of all. This may be a stupid question but I was wondering if new video cards scale down their fan speed when the graphics load is low? I hear that the X1900's can be quite loud.

and lastly, ATi says that you need a 450W PSU to run a system with this card. The P-150 comes with a high quality 430W psu, is it safe? I'm guessing it is after having observed this: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/24/ati_radeon_x1900_heats_up_with_48_pixel_pipelines/page7.html
The whole system with the X1900XT uses a little less than 300W on heavy gaming.

Thanks in advance for replies.

RichPLS

Champion
I have a X1800XT and I only hear it on boot up when fan tests itself out at 5000rpm, from then on it slows the fan down from then on. Imagine the 1900 is the same, since cooler is the same.

Andrzej_Pl

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2005
about loudness. 1900xtx I have is very loud just when you start the comp. As soon, as the bios is loaded, then its fan goes don to some decent level of noise. Yet....it can be heard during the games (I have 2x120mm Scythe fans, noisblocker 90mm on my hsf and the aerocool psu) and graphics is by my ear,loudest thing in the case

The solution is simple :) I ordered Accelero X2, that newest gfx coling solution from Arctic Cooling (and according to the shop it should be with me on 17th march) Then it's going to be nice silence. So if you are going for 1900 xt, I'd suggest do the same. Not only the card will be lighter, but also cooler and more silent (price of the cooler is about $25, at least in Poland). And if you spend truckload of cash on gfx card, you can also afford good cooling solution

LazyGarfield

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Second of all. This may be a stupid question but I was wondering if new video cards scale down their fan speed when the graphics load is low? I hear that the X1900's can be quite loud.
It does just speed up the fan when the graphics load raises. Still it´s not too loud under load... but when you are starting to overclock her she becomes disturbingly loud.

and lastly, ATi says that you need a 450W PSU to run a system with this card. The P-150 comes with a high quality 430W psu, is it safe? I'm guessing it is after having observed this:
My bro is running an xtx on an 400W psu with an x2-4400 and s-ata-raid + DVD-ROM/DVD-Burner without a flaw.