Can IDF relight Intel's fire?

WGruener

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
It's the time of the year again. Intel will host its Spring Developer Forum this week. Needless to say, Tom's Hardware and TG Daily will be on location to see the first Meroms, Conroes and Woodcrests first-hand.

We'll be covering the event in detail and hope that you guys check back frequently for news and our reports; but we also hope that there will be a lively discussion about the new facts coming out of IDF.

We'll be checking back on your discussions and do our best to cover your questions in our articles.

To kick it off - what are your expectations in the new architecture? Performance? Power consumption? New features? Besting AMD?

Looking forward to your comments!

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
It's the time of the year again. Intel will host its Spring Developer Forum this week. Needless to say, Tom's Hardware and TG Daily will be on location to see the first Meroms, Conroes and Woodcrests first-hand.

We'll be covering the event in detail and hope that you guys check back frequently for news and our reports; but we also hope that there will be a lively discussion about the new facts coming out of IDF.

We'll be checking back on your discussions and do our best to cover your questions in our articles.

To kick it off - what are your expectations in the new architecture? Performance? Power consumption? New features? Besting AMD?

Looking forward to your comments!

Great...another fanboy thread....here we go again

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

WGruener

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
We are not really interested in a fan boy discussion.

We believe that we will hear significant news at IDF - news that will influence the computer system we will buy in the not too distant future.

We are simply interested in what you guys are interested in.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
We are not really interested in a fan boy discussion.

We believe that we will hear significant news at IDF - news that will influence the computer system we will buy in the not too distant future.

We are simply interested in what you guys are interested in.

lol if you really think this thread won't degrade into a fanboy thread, you're in for a surprise. I think we've already said in over 10 threads our thoughts on Conroe and what not, this will just be an extension of the digressed fanboyism in those threads.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Its hard to say what will happen really. One thing I think we can all look forward to is the next chip line coming out from Intel, just has to be better which in its own merit, says alot for Intel.

If they can cut the TDP to what they say and yet, still produce performance specs that even come close to todays AMD, then that's still better than the P4s.

Intel still has some dark shadows to answer to as well with the whole anti-trust thing and what not. That will IMO, hurt them a bit (maybe not a lot) in the long run especially if they don't quit bullying. Enough about that though.

We can say what we want, I'm going to be as optimistic as I can be while they roll out the new lineup. As I've always said, we won't know till they arrive how they're going to perform.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
.....As I've always said, we won't know till they arrive how they're going to perform.
So true. I don't know why people have a problem with Prescotts I like mine and they overclock like a beast if you have good enough cooling.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I realy would like to see some benchies, but they may not come form the IDF. I've seen a 2.9ghz Yonah on small air cooler edge out a FX60 at 3.2ghz on vapochill, so I know for a fact Conroe has higher IPC than X2. Intel can just sit happy for now, and AMD must get to work again. AMD needs more than just speed bumps, it needs new designs. After a few years of nothing new but dual core, maybe CPUs will catch up with GPUs.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Conroe will certainly match any AMD X2/FX if not beat it. And, since it will probably have a slight edge on clock per clock we can expect a lot from the XE 3.3 that will arrive later this year or at the begining of the new one.
Of course i need some benchmarks to corectly evaluate the Conroe but as it is now looking it is one step to amazing.
And if i remember corectly a 2.4 ghz Conroe with 4 mb L2 cache will be priced at ~300$. That's a very good price.
Merom is an improvement over Core Duo(and by that time Windows will be done with the leakage fixing patch) but since nothing AMD has matches it i guess we can say Intel will continue to dominate.

AMD are at last taking the DDR2 plunge. That might improve a little but it will also cost them a lot of time. AMD will continue to do well mainly because of the opteron that currently is the best server AND desktop CPU but Intel will slowly regain marketshare.
BTW I don't need to mention about energy consumption or heat,no? At those chapters Intel will be way ahead.

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
i think intel it's not enjoyng AMD stealing ther marketshare so it has to come on top wich is good for us better processors from both parts better tdp and better achitectures wich is good for us and then after intel presents there new beast there it comes AMD presenting theirs and so on and so on , so this is on a loop both companies produce great chips and whe anre hungry to see them :p

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I'm not sure about that either and that's one of the reasons why I found that article so interesting. I always thought that Intel has such a stronghold of the mobile market. Of course, that article could be biased towards AMD and i'm not going to rule that out.

We'll have to see if other sites report the same thing or not. If they do, chances are those facts are all true. AMD is really coming on strong right now and most consumers are really figuring out what works and what doesn't.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Lets not forget that most people are dumb and get easily influenced by anyone or anything. Just look at the mobile forum. There is one user spamming AMD bias that can easily lead to more people getting AMD.
And that's the main reason that Intel Xeons are still being sold. People don't analyse hard enough their next purchase.
For laptops the corect decision is go for Intel PERIOD. 64 bit is just a pretext not going for the Duo.

Really,if all people were smart, AMD would never have made it to this stage.
With all the AMD hype around people would think that AMD leads at everything which is far from the truth. The only place they truly lead is the server market.
Now AMD has a chance to make money but things will change pretty soon with the new chips. (when Intel is working hard results are always seen)

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I sure hope that the new intels are really great and stop all over the AMD's. Because if they do then AMD will have to really improve their chip, and we as the customers get to benefit from it. I am really happy that AMD had a decent chip back when the original pentium came out, otherwise our processors would suck as bad as the operating system.
Competition is a great thing for the customer.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Lets not forget that most people are dumb and get easily influenced by anyone or anything. Just look at the mobile forum. There is one user spamming AMD bias that can easily lead to more people getting AMD.
And that's the main reason that Intel Xeons are still being sold. People don't analyse hard enough their next purchase.
For laptops the corect decision is go for Intel PERIOD. 64 bit is just a pretext not going for the Duo.

Really,if all people were smart, AMD would never have made it to this stage.
With all the AMD hype around people would think that AMD leads at everything which is far from the truth. The only place they truly lead is the server market.
Now AMD has a chance to make money but things will change pretty soon with the new chips. (when Intel is working hard results are always seen)

Know what else is far from the truth? Your knowledge on anything computer related.

Grab a popsicle with FUGGER and watch some cartoons.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
He's got a point though, Intel mostly performs better on mobile platforms. Turion isn't bad, just that Centrino is better for the most part...

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
He's got a point though, Intel mostly performs better on mobile platforms. Turion isn't bad, just that Centrino is better for the most part...

The reason Turion 64 performs awful is it is currently only on Single Channel, Socket 754. Turion X2's on Socket S1 (638 Pins w/ DDR2 Dual Channel) will bring the Mobile Performance Crown back to AMD, or at least lessen the gap Centrino has on the Mobile Market.

If AMD can make 25w and 35w 2GHz+ Opteron 64 CPU's, imagine what they can do for Mobile.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
But of course, Mad Mod &^* crapping around

AMD now can be considered a desease that affects brains(of people who have them) and makes people see in AMD the Holy Grail or something like that.
so you are either suffering from this syndrome or you're plain brainless.
Seriously there is no need to complain about facts(and especially it's plain silly quoting every post that doesn't bash Intel). Turion dual core is not here,core duo tops everything on the market right now. And you're a ^*( fanboy that has no rival when it comes to praising a brand.
People are missinformed,like it or not. After a AMD 64 bit succes people would think that the lappy CPU is just as good which it isn't. And Xeons are still bought in quite large numbers because people got used to Intel lead.

Now go play with your AMD toys. And do not swallow them, those parts may be toxic and dangerous especially when OC at increased voltages.