Sign in with
Your question

Having half a brain: Missing CPU in IBM M52/Pentium D 820

Last response: in CPUs
March 6, 2006 1:16:04 AM

I've looked a lot of places for this happening, but I can't find it. So please forgive me if I missed it:

In October 2005, my company ordered a IBM M52 8113-FBU workstation for me. It arrived early January, 2006. It was supposed to have an Intel Pentium D 820 dual core chip in it. And, according to Intel's tool, it does - both CPUs are there, running at 2.8GHz.

Windows XP Pro SP2, on the other hand, only sees one CPU in both Task Manager and Device Manager (comes up as Single ACPI CPU - I switched it to Multiple ACPI CPUs - no change) . I threw off the Lenovo XP when I saw that and installed the OS clean, but there was no change. BIOS has a cryptic option for turning off one of the cores, but both settings don't change what Windows sees: one CPU.

I flashed to the 1/6 BIOS - no change.

I called IBM... one technician, "doesn't use Intel chips," so he didn't know anything about it. Another insisted that I only had one CPU and that it didn't have HT, so it wouldn't show as two CPUs (yes, I explained dual-core and that I understood I didn't have hyperthreading - they didn't get it anyway). Finally, a couple of weeks later, I dared call again and asked for escalation. I waited another week and called for results. The technician respoded with, "Oh no, not another one..." He ran to talk to his boss and she told him to reply with, "Both CPUs are working. The hyperthreading code (?) is doing the work. Windows just doesn't show it."

So... am I nuts, or does the Pentium D 820 in YOUR PC with Windows XP SP2 show up as two processors? Am I missing something here? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Folks, I'm no newbie. I've had my hands on a keyboard (I still use the classic, strong-enough-to-crack-a-head-open IBM mechanical keyboards at home and at work!) for nearly every day of the last 23 years. This just doesn't seem right and I need some help. I'm about ready to wipe it again and stick Fedore Core 4 on it just to see what it says (I do my work with VMs anyway, so the base OS doesn't matter to me).
March 6, 2006 3:00:38 AM

They are lying I've used many dual core systems and they all show up as having 2 in the task manager.
March 6, 2006 3:07:16 AM

Quote:
I've looked a lot of places for this happening, but I can't find it. So please forgive me if I missed it:

In October 2005, my company ordered a IBM M52 8113-FBU workstation for me. It arrived early January, 2006. It was supposed to have an Intel Pentium D 820 dual core chip in it. And, according to Intel's tool, it does - both CPUs are there, running at 2.8GHz.

Windows XP Pro SP2, on the other hand, only sees one CPU in both Task Manager and Device Manager (comes up as Single ACPI CPU - I switched it to Multiple ACPI CPUs - no change) . I threw off the Lenovo XP when I saw that and installed the OS clean, but there was no change. BIOS has a cryptic option for turning off one of the cores, but both settings don't change what Windows sees: one CPU.

I flashed to the 1/6 BIOS - no change.

I called IBM... one technician, "doesn't use Intel chips," so he didn't know anything about it. Another insisted that I only had one CPU and that it didn't have HT, so it wouldn't show as two CPUs (yes, I explained dual-core and that I understood I didn't have hyperthreading - they didn't get it anyway). Finally, a couple of weeks later, I dared call again and asked for escalation. I waited another week and called for results. The technician respoded with, "Oh no, not another one..." He ran to talk to his boss and she told him to reply with, "Both CPUs are working. The hyperthreading code (?) is doing the work. Windows just doesn't show it."

So... am I nuts, or does the Pentium D 820 in YOUR PC with Windows XP SP2 show up as two processors? Am I missing something here? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Folks, I'm no newbie. I've had my hands on a keyboard (I still use the classic, strong-enough-to-crack-a-head-open IBM mechanical keyboards at home and at work!) for nearly every day of the last 23 years. This just doesn't seem right and I need some help. I'm about ready to wipe it again and stick Fedore Core 4 on it just to see what it says (I do my work with VMs anyway, so the base OS doesn't matter to me).

LOL wtf is HyperThreading code? LOL

Only thing I can think of is that it either 1) Isn't a real Pentium D 820 or 2) The Motherboard needs an upgraded BIOS to notice the 2nd core and the manufacturers were too lazy to update it before selling it.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 6, 2006 10:42:30 AM

Thanks - that's what I figured. I'll wipe XP and stick FC4 on it just to validate that it's at the hardware level.

I wonder how long it will take for Google to get this thread... or maybe someone at The Register...
a c 99 à CPUs
March 6, 2006 12:28:58 PM

I got a Dell Optiplex with a Pentium D 820 for my girlfriend's parents and it certainly does show up as two distinct CPU cores in the Task Manager.

You could try sticking in a Linux live CD and doing the following in a terminal:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

You should see two entries. Otherwise your chip/board is broken or Lenovo bought a load of the fake 1.7GHz single-core Celeries and put that in there instead of your Pentium D.
March 6, 2006 12:31:32 PM

I played the technical support slots and came up with the jackpot this time:

However the machine is configured when it's shipped, it's BIOS settings (something that *isn't* correctable via the UI) are wrong. Reloading the defaults (F9) and saving/restarting (F10) do get both CPUs up and visible in XP.

Thank you for your feedback.
!