AMD Loses Another Top Exec, This Time in the Client Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I feel terrible, this week has been terrible for AMD, let alone the last several months. I use an Intel CPU, but I use AMD's all the time. I hope they can recover from this downfall.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
AMD just needs good proc engineers, Don't matter who runs what, it matters that they give the other guy a run for their money....the their products speak for themselves.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
We always hear about people departing from AMD who had been with the company for a long time, but the company has been on a downhill slide for YEARS. Why would you want to keep a bunch of top shelf people who have done nothing to change it? "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." There isn't much further down AMD can go. If a business is failing, it would be madness to think keeping the same routine would change thangs. Kitchen Nightmares will show you that. The only negative side would be if these people didn't already have some other job lined up, I would feel bad then.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I hope they manage to make a comeback - I am not looking forward to an Intel monopoly. At least one of my computers has an AMD processor. (the netbook has an E350; the desktop has an i5 750)

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]dormantreign[/nom]AMD just needs good proc engineers, Don't matter who runs what, it matters that they give the other guy a run for their money....the their products speak for themselves.[/citation]
On the contrary, mate.
Their engineers have actually good ideas, which can of course be improved.
There has been a lot of tinkering in this site about how Bulldozer can be tweaked and it showed A LOT of potential. Now, AMD needs to implement these kind of modifications. Their modular architecture is brillian IMO.

No, on the contrary, they need better management. Better paid engineers, better publicists, better financial advisors, better PR, etc.
I like to see heads roll within AMD, they have been watching everything crumble and done nothing for years. If they were kept there, it would only have continued their downfall.
Lets expect the best for the red team and their new batch of leading personnel.

Cheers!

Feedmemoarfood

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Now taking bets that Apple hired them all. No one else has the funds or intent for world domination besides them. Have a nice day.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
ps: I that just me, or this guy Gruener is SERIOUSLY bashing AMD?

If this is intentional, then guys like him need some... ethics? and inform, as well, the victories and strenghts of the company

[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]On the contrary, mate.Their engineers have actually good ideas, which can of course be improved.There has been a lot of tinkering in this site about how Bulldozer can be tweaked and it showed A LOT of potential. Now, AMD needs to implement these kind of modifications. Their modular architecture is brillian IMO.No, on the contrary, they need better management. Better paid engineers, better publicists, better financial advisors, better PR, etc.I like to see heads roll within AMD, they have been watching everything crumble and done nothing for years. If they were kept there, it would only have continued their downfall.Lets expect the best for the red team and their new batch of leading personnel.Cheers![/citation]

Their modular architecture may seem brilliant to you, but as an engineer myself Bulldozer seems like a solution in search of a problem. Bulldozer is a CISC implementation of a RISC architecture that was briefly used and subsequently abandoned by a now defunct electronics company.

Silicon modularity really isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Intel managed to source over 150 different Sandybridge chips across the desktop, mobile, embedded, workstation, and server markets from only 5 different silicon blueprints. Intel's chips are "modular" in the sense that faulty parts can be selectively disabled for yield and marketing purposes.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]AMD loses 2 executives, an intel exec is going to retire, Nvidia loses a mobile exec, OCZ exec resigns. what the heck happened in the computation world in the last week[/citation]

The Avengers initiative for the PC world, made to combat Apple.

oxford373

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
its all slowish bulldozer architecture(Modules) fault,all their problems can be solved as soon as they abandon bulldozer architecture and redevelop native cores like phenome II.

ashinms

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
[citation][nom]pinhedd[/nom]Their modular architecture may seem brilliant to you, but as an engineer myself Bulldozer seems like a solution in search of a problem. Bulldozer is a CISC implementation of a RISC architecture that was briefly used and subsequently abandoned by a now defunct electronics company.Silicon modularity really isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Intel managed to source over 150 different Sandybridge chips across the desktop, mobile, embedded, workstation, and server markets from only 5 different silicon blueprints. Intel's chips are "modular" in the sense that faulty parts can be selectively disabled for yield and marketing purposes.[/citation]

The modular architecture is no different than hyperthreading with the exception of the implementation. There is a level of resource sharing between threads to increase total throughput per transistors. So far as it being a cisc implementation of a risc arch, I really hope you aren't talking about niagra, because that wasn't a modular design. That was a server chip with one single FPU shared with eight for way SMP Cotes optimized for server-only use, not four dual core modules. On the subject of Intel's modularity, AMD has been doing the exact same thing with shutting down cores and cache to increase yields for eons. That isn't modularity, that's gimping parts to create new price points. Nothing special about that at all.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
TOP NEWS: AMD Loses Another Top Janitor

Yesterday Armhid Khan 53, a long time janitor at AMD resigned. He was cleaning the toilets at AMD for 23 years. In these harsh economic times this is a great loss for AMD. The stenct will spread throughout the offices of AMD, forcing even more employees to resign. The resignation of the valuable Mr. Khan caused the shares to drop another 87%. AMD is facing harsh time and may file for bankruptcy next month.

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
WHY is everyone talking as if this news is the end of the world? I have seen nothing but posts of people resigning from CEOs and exec positions in the last 3 days...... intel, nvidia, amd all need to have new people and new ideas for the future......

"TOP NEWS: AMD Loses Another Top Janitor

Yesterday Armhid Khan 53, a long time janitor at AMD resigned. He was cleaning the toilets at AMD for 23 years. In these harsh economic times this is a great loss for AMD. The stenct will spread throughout the offices of AMD, forcing even more employees to resign. The resignation of the valuable Mr. Khan caused the shares to drop another 87%. AMD is facing harsh time and may file for bankruptcy next month."

That is the exact thing i was going to say to all these resignation news

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Every company looses execs / gain execs, it seems only Mr.Doom here spins it like its the end of the world like we have started to expect. Its strangely just one company that he don't write only negativity about - kind of telling!

G

My 2 step plan for AMD recovery!

1. Get rid of all the top level execs (seems they're alraedy doing that)

2. Hire all the old SGI/MIPS hardware engineers and release a kick ass CPU!

Problem solved :D

Status
Not open for further replies.