OCZ dual mem question

I have OCZ Gold 512 400 R3 single stick....If I get another stick of the same can I run it in Dual channel....

MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum
AMD Sempron 3000 Barton
OCZ Gold 512 R3
WD80 Sata
Leadtek 6600GT AGP
14 answers Last reply
More about dual question
  1. Quote:
    I have OCZ Gold 512 400 R3 single stick....If I get another stick of the same can I run it in Dual channel....

MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum
    AMD Sempron 3000 Barton
    OCZ Gold 512 R3
    WD80 Sata
    Leadtek 6600GT AGP

No. The Sempron Barton is Socket A and Socket A only allows Single Channel memory.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
  2. Quote:

MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum
    AMD Sempron 3000 Barton
    OCZ Gold 512 R3
    WD80 Sata
    Leadtek 6600GT AGP

No. The Sempron Barton is Socket A and Socket A only allows Single Channel memory.

Not true. He has a nForce2 motherboard which have a memory controller that supports dual channel.

So the answer is: Yes.
  3. Quote:

MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum
    AMD Sempron 3000 Barton
    OCZ Gold 512 R3
    WD80 Sata
    Leadtek 6600GT AGP

geez an amd fanboy and you dont even know about your own products, yes the nforce2 has dual channel memory but the performance gain isnt worth the money spent UNLESS your just getting it for the extra ram so yeah get a matching stick and it will help a little but the most gain is through the size.
  4. Quote:

MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum
    AMD Sempron 3000 Barton
    OCZ Gold 512 R3
    WD80 Sata
    Leadtek 6600GT AGP

Not true. He has a nForce2 motherboard which have a memory controller that supports dual channel.

So the answer is: Yes.

Thank you for correcting me, I wasn't thinking that the older Non-A64's had the NB Mem Controller, the A64's are warping my mind lol.

@Apache: Got a dollar? Go buy a popsicle and watch some cartoons.

5. i think AMD is warping your mind
  6. so even though it's not made as matching dual channel memory...I can still run it as so?? And yes my main reason is for more memory....you say that it will be minumull gain in dual channel...Why????
  7. Quote:
    so even though it's not made as matching dual channel memory...I can still run it as so?? And yes my main reason is for more memory....you say that it will be minumull gain in dual channel...Why????

Dual channel is only a marketing hype, the improvement is very small.

Matching dual channel memory packs are not important to run dual channel.
  8. OK.....Them IYO should I install the 2 sticks in dual chanel slots or in the 2 main slots????
  9. Quote:
    OK.....Them IYO should I install the 2 sticks in dual chanel slots or in the 2 main slots????

In the dual channel slots. Dual channel is better than singel channel but the differense isn't very big.
  10. Quote:
    i think AMD is warping your mind

I think you need to suck a popsicle and watch cartoons.

11. OK...Im on it.....thanks Guys
  12. Quote:
    so even though it's not made as matching dual channel memory...I can still run it as so?? And yes my main reason is for more memory....you say that it will be minumull gain in dual channel...Why????

The real reason is your AMD has FSB333 or 400 (333 or 400mhz total bandwidth) and your ram runs at 333 or 400mhz with it (sync), dual channel basicly doubles ram bandwidth (400x2 or 333x2) but your FSB is still the same 333 or 400mhz and cant accept any more ram bandwidth - thats why it doesnt really boost, but other system components may use it and it can burst faster but sustained rates remain the same.

Yeah get the second stick and do dual channel - why not, cause your getting more ram anyhow - you will see the most boost through ram size.

Also if you upgrade later to a cheap A64 S939 you could use the sticks perfectly there.

@MMM - i think you need to learn about your own AMDs
  13. Quote:

The real reason is your AMD has FSB333 or 400 (333 or 400mhz total bandwidth) and your ram runs at 333 or 400mhz with it (sync), dual channel basicly doubles ram bandwidth (400x2 or 333x2) but your FSB is still the same 333 or 400mhz and cant accept any more ram bandwidth - thats why it doesnt really boost, but other system components may use it and it can burst faster but sustained rates remain the same.

Yeah get the second stick and do dual channel - why not, cause your getting more ram anyhow - you will see the most boost through ram size.

Also if you upgrade later to a cheap A64 S939 you could use the sticks perfectly there.

I think you need to suck a popsicle, watch cartoons, and stop copying and pasting from Google.

14. Quote:

I think you need to suck a popsicle, watch cartoons, and stop copying and pasting from Google.

oh did poor MMM got upset? poo hoo.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory OCZ Dual Channel