Canon i9900

Any owners of the Canon i9900 out there that would like to share their
experiences about this printer - the good, the bad, the ugly....?

If not this one then what's the consensus on a printer in the $500 - $800
price range? I would like to be able to do some prints larger than 8x10,
the i9900 does 13x19 which would suffice. The Epson 4000 is a great printer
I've read but the $1800 is a bit pricey.

Appreciate your comments,

Bob S.
9 answers Last reply
More about canon i9900

    I own the newer series PIXMA iP8500. It is an 8.5x11 format, but it uses
    the i9900 print engine, head, and ink system. I have been extremely
    impressed with the results from this printer. The i9900 essentially being
    the same, only the larger format that you're looking for...I don't know how
    you could go wrong!

    Bill Crocker

    "BobS" <spam@eliminator.com> wrote in message
    > Any owners of the Canon i9900 out there that would like to share their
    > experiences about this printer - the good, the bad, the ugly....?
    >
    > If not this one then what's the consensus on a printer in the $500 - $800
    > price range? I would like to be able to do some prints larger than 8x10,
    > the i9900 does 13x19 which would suffice. The Epson 4000 is a great
    > printer
    > I've read but the $1800 is a bit pricey.
    >
    > Appreciate your comments,
    >
    > Bob S.

    Based of all reviews I have read, in this price range the i9900 is the
    best of the best. The only reported problem is a somewhat jerky paper
    feed. The recommendation is to feed photo paper one at a time. I think
    this is a good practice when feeding large photo sheets in any printer.

    BobS wrote:

    > Any owners of the Canon i9900 out there that would like to share their
    > experiences about this printer - the good, the bad, the ugly....?
    >
    > If not this one then what's the consensus on a printer in the $500 - $800
    > price range? I would like to be able to do some prints larger than 8x10,
    > the i9900 does 13x19 which would suffice. The Epson 4000 is a great printer
    > I've read but the $1800 is a bit pricey.
    >
    > Appreciate your comments,
    >
    > Bob S.

    I wish they would come out with a new PIXMA IP9900 offering all of the
    same features of the i9900 with twin feeds and full duplexing. I would
    also like to see a proven 1 picoliter print engine and two additional
    tanks. One for super photo gloss and the other for some time of
    protectorant.

    Bill Crocker wrote:

    > I own the newer series PIXMA iP8500. It is an 8.5x11 format, but it uses
    > the i9900 print engine, head, and ink system. I have been extremely
    > impressed with the results from this printer. The i9900 essentially being
    > the same, only the larger format that you're looking for...I don't know how
    > you could go wrong!
    >
    > Bill Crocker
    >

    > "BobS" <spam@eliminator.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Any owners of the Canon i9900 out there that would like to share their
    >>experiences about this printer - the good, the bad, the ugly....?
    >>
    >>If not this one then what's the consensus on a printer in the $500 - $800
    >>price range? I would like to be able to do some prints larger than 8x10,
    >>the i9900 does 13x19 which would suffice. The Epson 4000 is a great
    >>printer
    >>I've read but the $1800 is a bit pricey.
    >>
    >>Appreciate your comments,
    >>
    >>Bob S.

    Bill,

    Thanks for taking the time to provide your comments - it sounds promising so
    far.

    Happy Holidays,

    Bob S.

    "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I own the newer series PIXMA iP8500. It is an 8.5x11 format, but it uses
    > the i9900 print engine, head, and ink system. I have been extremely
    > impressed with the results from this printer. The i9900 essentially being
    > the same, only the larger format that you're looking for...I don't know
    how
    > you could go wrong!
    >
    > Bill Crocker

    We must have read the same reviews... Hopefully someone that has one and
    using it will chime in here and give us their mini review about it.

    Thank you,

    Bob S.

    > Based of all reviews I have read, in this price range the i9900 is the
    > best of the best. The only reported problem is a somewhat jerky paper
    > feed. The recommendation is to feed photo paper one at a time. I think
    > this is a good practice when feeding large photo sheets in any printer.

    I just got the i9900 2 days ago and haven't had one thing to complain
    about. Installation went smoothly and all my prints have turned out
    excellent. The largest I've gone to is 8.5x11. The jerky paper feed
    didn't seem to damage the prints in any way. From what I've seen so
    far, this printer is amazing. Hope this helps.

    Justin wrote:
    > I just got the i9900 2 days ago and haven't had one thing to complain
    > about. Installation went smoothly and all my prints have turned out
    > excellent. The largest I've gone to is 8.5x11. The jerky paper feed
    > didn't seem to damage the prints in any way. From what I've seen so
    > far, this printer is amazing. Hope this helps.

    Hi,

    Same here. the i9900 has replaced an Epson 1270 that has done faithfull
    service for the past 4 1/2 years.
    I am amazed at the quality of the prints, even though I am using Epson
    paper. the prints come out dry and you can handle them within a minute
    or so. I am using Qimage to print (also just installed) and the only
    problem I have is that I have to do some calibration because my
    pictures come out darker than the way they look on the monitor.
    I have a question to those that have had this printer for a while.
    In your experience, what are the cartridges that need replacement
    first?
    So far I have printed about 15 8x1.5 and the ink monitor does not seem
    to indicate any usage.

    While not a heavy user yet, here is my usage to date and approximate amount
    of ink used:

    The Photo Cyan (PC) and Photo Magenta (PM) cartridges will go first followed
    by Magenta and Yellow.
    After approximately 120 typical pics, mostly 4x6's (full-bleeds) and about a
    dozen 8x10's thrown in, my cartridges are:

    PM = 60% empty
    Red = 10% empty
    Black = 10% empty
    Green = 10% empty
    PC = 60% empty
    Cyan = 10% empty
    Magenta = 25% empty
    Yellow = 25% empty

    I don't know how accurate the "Printer Status" ink indicator is but I've
    compared this to another table (www.Canon.com) and they pretty much follow
    what Canon states for ink usage.

    I've done some testing using various papers (Kodak, Canon, GP, Ilford,
    RoyalBrights) and making printer profiles using two standard test files.
    Found a big difference in the papers with the Canon paper being the best of
    what I tested so far.

    Bob S.

    "Rosi" <hrosita@aol.com> wrote in message

    > Justin wrote:
    > > I just got the i9900 2 days ago and haven't had one thing to complain
    > > about. Installation went smoothly and all my prints have turned out
    > > excellent. The largest I've gone to is 8.5x11. The jerky paper feed
    > > didn't seem to damage the prints in any way. From what I've seen so
    > > far, this printer is amazing. Hope this helps.
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Same here. the i9900 has replaced an Epson 1270 that has done faithfull
    > service for the past 4 1/2 years.
    > I am amazed at the quality of the prints, even though I am using Epson
    > paper. the prints come out dry and you can handle them within a minute
    > or so. I am using Qimage to print (also just installed) and the only
    > problem I have is that I have to do some calibration because my
    > pictures come out darker than the way they look on the monitor.
    > I have a question to those that have had this printer for a while.
    > In your experience, what are the cartridges that need replacement
    > first?
    > So far I have printed about 15 8x1.5 and the ink monitor does not seem
    > to indicate any usage.

    Thanks Bob,

    This sound good. I am absolutely amazed at the quality of the prints.
    Very happy with the choice.
    January and February are competition months here in Florida and I am
    happy to have a good printer.

Printers Canon Peripherals Product