Help and Support Centre will not display!

Hi,
I've had Windows XP Home SP1a installed for about a week. It was a
clean install on a newly formatted drive. Starting yesterday after running
Adaware and Spybot , the Help and Support module will not display when I
click on the shortcut in the start menu. The computer shows some activity
and then nothing happens. I've tried a restore , and also an SFC /scannow
to check if any system files have changed. Still no response from the
shortcut.

I have a 850 mhz Intel Celeron system, 512 mb ram, 20g HD.

Any help would be appreciated..

Alby

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I see you got out of your problem, but I have not, and I
tried running repair, restore to previous, re-install and
repair, and I think it's all tied back to a fix from
Microsoft Windows Updates (XP SP1) for Help and Support
files, changing the paths and locations of a great many
files... I'm still wondering what I can do about the
problem you solved with the Repair function, since I
cannot get repaired that way. I posted a msg in the
General folder on this site... Glad yours works again. On
mine a number of related utilities and HELP functions no
longer pull anything up, beyond a brief turn of the sands-
of-time icon... The files all seem to exist, but the
registry info is totally wrong I think. If you hear of
any related fixes, I'd be happy to review them, thanks. (M
Kelley

Hi

Try this link to Kelly's web page:

"Why doesn't Help and Support work"

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I see you got out of your problem, but I have not, and I
> tried running repair, restore to previous, re-install and
> repair, and I think it's all tied back to a fix from
> Microsoft Windows Updates (XP SP1) for Help and Support
> files, changing the paths and locations of a great many
> files... I'm still wondering what I can do about the
> problem you solved with the Repair function, since I
> cannot get repaired that way. I posted a msg in the
> General folder on this site... Glad yours works again. On
> mine a number of related utilities and HELP functions no
> longer pull anything up, beyond a brief turn of the sands-
> of-time icon... The files all seem to exist, but the
> registry info is totally wrong I think. If you hear of
> any related fixes, I'd be happy to review them, thanks. (M
> Kelley

Thanks, I may try again, I got similar note from Kelly,
but so far I can't relate my problems to what I'm reading
for solutions enough to go into the registry - I tried
some of the tasks relayed by Kelly, but no luck so far.
Thanks for your assistance Will, I'll keep looking. what a
mess- files everywhere, and nothing to open them. (M
Kelley

It would appear that I have solved this problem by doing a repair install of
windows xp.

For info,

cheers,

Alby
"Albert Kramer" <alby49NOSPAM@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I've had Windows XP Home SP1a installed for about a week. It was a
> clean install on a newly formatted drive. Starting yesterday after
running
> Adaware and Spybot , the Help and Support module will not display when I
> click on the shortcut in the start menu. The computer shows some activity
> and then nothing happens. I've tried a restore , and also an SFC /scannow
> to check if any system files have changed. Still no response from the
> shortcut.
>
> I have a 850 mhz Intel Celeron system, 512 mb ram, 20g HD.
>
> Any help would be appreciated..
>
> Alby

Now that is interesting . I did run Easycleaner at one stage before I lost
Help and Support. So it must remove some reg settings or needed files.
There is a VBscript that you can download to correct the reg settings.

Thanks for that info,

cheers,
Alby
> Hi
>
> Try this link to Kelly's web page:
>
> "Why doesn't Help and Support work"
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I see you got out of your problem, but I have not, and I
> > tried running repair, restore to previous, re-install and
> > repair, and I think it's all tied back to a fix from
> > Microsoft Windows Updates (XP SP1) for Help and Support
> > files, changing the paths and locations of a great many
> > files... I'm still wondering what I can do about the
> > problem you solved with the Repair function, since I
> > cannot get repaired that way. I posted a msg in the
> > General folder on this site... Glad yours works again. On
> > mine a number of related utilities and HELP functions no
> > longer pull anything up, beyond a brief turn of the sands-
> > of-time icon... The files all seem to exist, but the
> > registry info is totally wrong I think. If you hear of
> > any related fixes, I'd be happy to review them, thanks. (M
> > Kelley

Hi

Please try the following link to Kelly's web page: