Help and Support Centre will not display!

Hi,
I've had Windows XP Home SP1a installed for about a week. It was a
clean install on a newly formatted drive. Starting yesterday after running
Adaware and Spybot , the Help and Support module will not display when I
click on the shortcut in the start menu. The computer shows some activity
and then nothing happens. I've tried a restore , and also an SFC /scannow
to check if any system files have changed. Still no response from the
shortcut.

I have a 850 mhz Intel Celeron system, 512 mb ram, 20g HD.

Any help would be appreciated..

Alby
7 answers Last reply
More about help support centre display

    I see you got out of your problem, but I have not, and I
    tried running repair, restore to previous, re-install and
    repair, and I think it's all tied back to a fix from
    Microsoft Windows Updates (XP SP1) for Help and Support
    files, changing the paths and locations of a great many
    files... I'm still wondering what I can do about the
    problem you solved with the Repair function, since I
    cannot get repaired that way. I posted a msg in the
    General folder on this site... Glad yours works again. On
    mine a number of related utilities and HELP functions no
    longer pull anything up, beyond a brief turn of the sands-
    of-time icon... The files all seem to exist, but the
    registry info is totally wrong I think. If you hear of
    any related fixes, I'd be happy to review them, thanks. (M
    Kelley

    Hi

    Try this link to Kelly's web page:

    "Why doesn't Help and Support work"

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I see you got out of your problem, but I have not, and I
    > tried running repair, restore to previous, re-install and
    > repair, and I think it's all tied back to a fix from
    > Microsoft Windows Updates (XP SP1) for Help and Support
    > files, changing the paths and locations of a great many
    > files... I'm still wondering what I can do about the
    > problem you solved with the Repair function, since I
    > cannot get repaired that way. I posted a msg in the
    > General folder on this site... Glad yours works again. On
    > mine a number of related utilities and HELP functions no
    > longer pull anything up, beyond a brief turn of the sands-
    > of-time icon... The files all seem to exist, but the
    > registry info is totally wrong I think. If you hear of
    > any related fixes, I'd be happy to review them, thanks. (M
    > Kelley

    Thanks, I may try again, I got similar note from Kelly,
    but so far I can't relate my problems to what I'm reading
    for solutions enough to go into the registry - I tried
    some of the tasks relayed by Kelly, but no luck so far.
    Thanks for your assistance Will, I'll keep looking. what a
    mess- files everywhere, and nothing to open them. (M
    Kelley

    It would appear that I have solved this problem by doing a repair install of
    windows xp.

    For info,

    cheers,

    Alby
    "Albert Kramer" <alby49NOSPAM@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    > I've had Windows XP Home SP1a installed for about a week. It was a
    > clean install on a newly formatted drive. Starting yesterday after
    running
    > Adaware and Spybot , the Help and Support module will not display when I
    > click on the shortcut in the start menu. The computer shows some activity
    > and then nothing happens. I've tried a restore , and also an SFC /scannow
    > to check if any system files have changed. Still no response from the
    > shortcut.
    >
    > I have a 850 mhz Intel Celeron system, 512 mb ram, 20g HD.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated..
    >
    > Alby

    Now that is interesting . I did run Easycleaner at one stage before I lost
    Help and Support. So it must remove some reg settings or needed files.
    There is a VBscript that you can download to correct the reg settings.

    Thanks for that info,

    cheers,
    Alby
    > Hi
    >
    > Try this link to Kelly's web page:
    >
    > "Why doesn't Help and Support work"
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I see you got out of your problem, but I have not, and I
    > > tried running repair, restore to previous, re-install and
    > > repair, and I think it's all tied back to a fix from
    > > Microsoft Windows Updates (XP SP1) for Help and Support
    > > files, changing the paths and locations of a great many
    > > files... I'm still wondering what I can do about the
    > > problem you solved with the Repair function, since I
    > > cannot get repaired that way. I posted a msg in the
    > > General folder on this site... Glad yours works again. On
    > > mine a number of related utilities and HELP functions no
    > > longer pull anything up, beyond a brief turn of the sands-
    > > of-time icon... The files all seem to exist, but the
    > > registry info is totally wrong I think. If you hear of
    > > any related fixes, I'd be happy to review them, thanks. (M
    > > Kelley

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Kelly's web page:

    "Why doesn't Help and Support work?"

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Albert Kramer" <alby49NOSPAM@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    > I've had Windows XP Home SP1a installed for about a week. It was a
    > clean install on a newly formatted drive. Starting yesterday after
    > running
    > Adaware and Spybot , the Help and Support module will not display when I
    > click on the shortcut in the start menu. The computer shows some activity
    > and then nothing happens. I've tried a restore , and also an SFC /scannow
    > to check if any system files have changed. Still no response from the
    > shortcut.
    >
    > I have a 850 mhz Intel Celeron system, 512 mb ram, 20g HD.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated..
    >
    > Alby

Support Windows XP Displays