USB Pen Drive Drivers for win98SE

Maximus86

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Hi I just got a pen drive that i need to use on windows 98SE but i didn't find the drivers anywhere, can you help me out please ??

Thanks

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Win 95 or 98 supports USB 2.0 or the pen drives.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I think Win 98 or 98SE do need drivers for it.

Just on 2000/XP you won't need it.

As far as getting it, I dunno.. heh, I don't run Win9x anymore.

zyzplasmaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
for windows 98 you'll most likely need the drivers from the manufacturer's website (that is if they even have it) windows 98 doesnt have native support for USB2

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Ummm.. as long as you have the drivers for it, it will or should work.

I have a flashdrive 64MB pen. It came with a CD, and says Win98 Mass Storeage Drivers.

If your Pen didn't come with a CD, not sure what to tell ya, as far as searching for it on the web... Googling it is all I can advise.

Maximus86

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Hi, Thanks for your reply, can you tell me the name of your pendrive maybe i can find the drivers on the site ?? I think that Mass Storeage drivers should be the same for every pendrive NO ?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Errr... it was exactly what I typed:

Flashdrive 64MB

The CD basically says the same thing. However, theres only a setup.exe and PDF file. The setup program does install the drivers 1st before you stick the Pen in the USB port. I can't recall if the Win98 system needs a reboot, before plugging it in.

Now, it is 1.1 compliant, it is not a 2.0 USB pen.

Also, I dug around for you... :roll:

The URL below is from another company that seems to have a driver to install on Win98 systems.

File name when download is: ET-BI2U1GR-8_win98driver.zip
Its approx size is 1.33MB

It is found at the bottom of the page:

Download Page - Possible win98 dirver

zyzplasmaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
grimmy.......... Flashdrive 64MB does not mean anything........ 80% of the USB drives out there are called Flashdrive or USB Flash Drive..............
look at the google results.......... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=flashdrive

anyways from what i can tell from your file name, it's a eagletec and while it could work, i'm pretty sure it wont work for windows 98, the drivers tend to look for their own company or an acceptable company before it will work, but you can try.

PS my post was asking Maximus86 for the name of his pen drive and company

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry Maxiumus, but the "USB Mass Storage Controller" driver was not integrated for 98SE. IT WAS AVAILABLE IN WINDOWS ME, but I've never seen anyone make a package to update 98SE with the ME files.

So you need a specific driver. What's worse, every device needs its own specific driver. You could have two identical thumb drives from two different companies, using the same internal parts, use the same driver, but any slight variation between devices will require a slight variation in the driver. WHAT A HEADACHE!

Sorry.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
grimmy.......... Flashdrive 64MB does not mean anything

LOL.. did ya want me to make up a name for it? I was telling him what it says... and quite frankly that is all the info I can give.

The pen came with a CD... Though I never had to use it.

Geesh.. I go to some length to help, and you seem to make me feel like I'm holding back on information. :roll:

I know it was a headache to even bother to look, but hey.. I tried.

Maximus86

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
HI Guys !! thanks, I'll try to use the sites you gave me to look the subject up, maybe i'll find something over there. Thankss !

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

Well this quandary may be solved by "updating" your win 98 files to include some of the mass storage drivers from Windows Me .... as stated by Crashman. I have some very expensive software that will only run on 98 and I wanted the ability to use "jump drives" and external hard drives on my 98 machine ... So....... went here: http://soporific.dsleague.com/main/?page_id=7 and installed the original October 2007 release and after it was done I installed the December 2007 to December 2008 update and my problems were solved. I have been able to hook up almost any usb storage device and it is recognized by 98. This is a big download (initial 289MB and update 47MB) and installing it took some time .... mostly because of the slower processors and transfer rates of that era, BUT it will work. This auto patcher address many items in the OS and not just the USB ones ... I believe that it also installed IE6 sp1 . I just know that I am using it on my old box and it works fine.....

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
After you do these updates you may or may not have the USB 2.0 (hardware)support as this relies on the hardware on the motherboard. Most motherboards of that era did not support USB 2.0. You may have to get a PCI USB 2.0 card which will allow the 2.0 transfer speeds. Good luck!